Fizz drops suck

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Scoper50

Fizz drops suck

Post by Scoper50 »

I've been brewing almost exclusively with Northern Brewer extract recipe kits. Every kit comes with a package of fizz drops for bottle conditioning. I used the fizz drops for a couple batches early on and I got terrible results. The beer was fine but was severely under carbonated both times. After that I started throwing the fizz drops directly in the trash and I use regular table sugar boiled up with water as a priming sugar. What are the pro's opinions on fizz drops? Does anybody beyond an extreme novice use them? Why don't they work like they should?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Fizz drops suck

Post by bpgreen »

I've never used them. The kits I've bought have always had bags of corn sugar. I keg, so I don't need the priming sugar, but I don't throw it out. I add it to the wort as extra fermentable sugar. If I got a kit with the carbonation drops, I'd do the same.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've tried a few versions of carb tablets when I was bottling but while sometimes it was good, others were not and I never knew what I'd get. It's just better to mix all the sugar in a bottling bucket and give it 2 weeks and you should be good.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Never used them myself but I think I recall hearing that they took much longer to carb than the typical 2 weeks.
I have no experience with them myself, though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If you want to bottle prime at all still, Dominos Dots sugar cubes work great if you can get them. The right ones are the 2.5g cubes, they come 196 to a box. Use 1 dot per 12oz for most beers, or if you are using 16-24oz bottles, 1 dot for one of those for lower carb English beers. You will get full carb in 2 weeks always, and it's consistent.