I dumped a batch today

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

I dumped a batch today

Post by bpgreen »

I think this is a first for me.

I haven't been brewing much lately (2 months since my last brew). So I was a little off my game.

I made a 5 gallon batch with two BD cans yesterday. When I opened one can (the oldest one; over a year past its best by date), it kind of "popped" a bit. I thought it was odd, but chalked it off to having it sit in hot water for so long. The other can (which sat in hot water just as long) didn't hiss, but I just kind of thought "huh" and continued.

As I was taking the fermenter to the basement (more steady temperatures), I looked to the side and noticed the unopened yeast packet. Oops. Added the yeast. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't noticed.

Then, this afternoon, I put something on another can of the same vintage. When I did, I noticed that it rocked slightly. So I looked closely and saw that the lid was slightly bulging. I put two and two together and realized that the pop when I opened the can yesterday was not due to the hot water soak. I decided it wasn't worth the risk and dumped the batch I started yesterday.

I hate to throw anything out, but when it comes to food safety, I err on the side of caution.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: I dumped a batch today

Post by RickBeer »

If these are from a recent dented cans special, BD is selling things that are very dangerous.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Good call BP. I don't worry about much, but a swollen can is a very bad sign.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

RickBeer wrote:If these are from a recent dented cans special, BD is selling things that are very dangerous.
They're not. They're from a sale a year or so ago. I bought some expired cans and haven't been brewing much lately so they sat around a lot longer than I expected. The ones I bought recently are just barely past their best by dates.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Good to hear.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)