Looking to brew bigger batches

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

rogermccune

Looking to brew bigger batches

Post by rogermccune »

I am a rookie but the bug has bitten me. I currently use a brew demon and am pleased with everything about it. I have found more variety in extract kits for 5 gallon batches and am looking to get a bigger fermenter. I seen brewdemon lists the big demon as being back in stock soon. I am considering either one of those or going for a brewtech brewmaster. I know it's overkill for me since I am new to it, but like the idea that I wouldn't outgrow it and it would be durable. On the other side, I am comfortable and happy with my brewdemon and am wondering if the brewtech would be worth while for extract kits even though I will eventually graduate to more advanced methods. I guess my dilemma is for right now the brewdemon is a more logical fit, but the brewtech seems like a better long term investment. I'm confident my brewing isn't going away. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks as always for your time and knowledge.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Looking to brew bigger batches

Post by bpgreen »

I've been using buckets since I switched to 5 gallon batches. I started with something like this.

I also made a homemade fermenter from a 5 gallon food grade buckeye I bought at Walmart (made 4 gallon batches). And the Costco near me sells wheat in buckets that are a perfect size for 5 gallon batches.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You can always buy more small 2.5 gallon BrewDemon fermenters, and if you brew a 5 gallon batch just split it between two of them.

That's what I do, and other folks here do it as well.

Then you still have the versatility of being able to brew a whole bunch of small batches too for variety. Or you can brew and split a 5 gallon batch and pitch 2 different yeasts and/or dry hop each fermenter with different hops.

I have a 3 gallon and a pair of 2.5 gallon fermenters, and they are pretty much always all in a brewing rotation, sometimes a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon split batch, sometimes 3 different batches.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

^^That's also what I do, split a 5G batch between two BrewDemon LBC fermenters. That big fermenter from BrewDemon sounds nice, and it would allow you to do 5G or 6G batches too. However, there's also something like this Simply Beer starter kit from Midwest Supplies. They say "Everything You Need, Nothing You Don’t!". Most of the vendors probably have something like that starter kit. I've got a couple 6.5G Pale Ale buckets that I picked up and use for 5G batches. You might check out craigslist, eBay and see what other deals you might find too.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Remember two caveats when considering moving to a 5 gallon fermenter vs. using two 2.5 gallon fermenters to split a 5 gallon batch:

1) 5 gallons of wort weighs twice what a 2.5 gallon batch weighs. A gallon of wort actually weighs about 1/2 pound more than a gallon of water (wort is heavier than water, i.e. specific gravity...). So 5 gallons weighs around 44 pounds plus the weight of the fermenter. If you have to carry that any distance, or down stairs, it's not fun. For those of us with bad backs, it's much nicer to carry 22 pounds plus the weight of the fermenter. I use Mr. Beer LBKs, and put them on a ramp in a Rubbermaid tub. Carrying the tub is easier than without the tub, and the ramp stops it from shifting around.

2) Where are you putting the fermenter to ferment so that you control the temperature? Putting a big fermenter into a freezer / frig may not be easy or possible. I have a freezer that I absconded with from my in-law's house when we put them into assisted living. It has shelves with coils mounted under them. Unless I want to take a chance of breaking the coils by bending them up to fit a tall fermenter, I'm stuck with them as is. Good new is that I can fit six Mr. Beer LBKs, i.e. 15 gallons of beer, in at once. I did that one time. Bottling 15 gallons in a short period was not fun. I've done 10 gallons offset by a week a few times, that works better if I need more than 5 gallons going at once.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

@roger I went thru a similar transition a few years ago from LBKs to big ole fermenting pails. I had the space and it worked well. Now that I've downsized, the space just is not available. Like others have said, keeping a couple small fermentors still allow for bigger batches and there is something to be said about moving around those smaller containers.
Thirsting For Knowledge
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I've split 5 gal batches a lot of times, not really familiar with the brewdemon fermenters, but when using a MB LBK's it works best on a low gravity beer when over filling to that point...................
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

My upgrade after the LBK was to free icing buckets from SAMs club. They worked great for 5 gallons, and were the right price...free! I still use them to haul grain and occasionally to bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:I've split 5 gal batches a lot of times, not really familiar with the brewdemon fermenters, but when using a MB LBK's it works best on a low gravity beer when over filling to that point...................
The brew demon fermenters have more room, so a true 2.5 gallon batch per fermenter is usually not any problem. Only with a true top cropping (33% headspace) yeast. I often make 2.6 gallon batches with many yeasts, an extra bottle or so is always nice.