Just bought a BrewDemon Conical

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Just bought a BrewDemon Conical

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Hello all, I just bought a BrewDemon Craft Brewing Starter Kit Plus. I've got a couple of the Mr. Beer LBK's and they seem to work pretty well. I'm currently conditioning/carbonating 3 and fermenting 2 batches. However, I wanted to see what the conical fermenter was like, after watching some of the videos and reading of the posts/reviews here, thanks for posting that by the way. I found one on craigslist, surprisingly enough, as the guy was given one as a gift and doesn't care for beer? :oops:
So after sending him a paypal payment, it should be here soon and I'll be brewing some beer in it shortly.
Tony
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just bought a BrewDemon Conical

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Nice craigslist find. I think you'll like the BD conical. I use mine for brewing small all grain batches as well as the BrewDemon recipes. I have 2 so I've also used them when I brew a full 5 gallon batch then split it between the two and try different yeast strains.

Make sure to let us know what you think when you get it. :cheers:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Pretty cool Tony. My BDC is my last small fermenter. I love your enthusiasm. How often do you brew?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Well after getting the first couple batches brewing, it's been about every other weekend. I've been waiting until it's time to bottle (fermenting 3 weeks) and then after cleaning & sanitizing, immediately brewing another batch. We live on a small farm, so there's chores to do, plus working 40+ at a local university usually keeps me pretty busy.
Tony
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

It's great to see you enjoying the hobby when you can. Everyone here knows how life can take prioity over things we'd like to be doing.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I followed that schedule for a while, I think I brewed 25 times in 2013. Now I brew bigger batches, less often. I also drink less, but not much less. I still brew 2-3 gallon batches stovetop in cold weather. (Plenty of that this year) I'm also trying to limit the volume of holiday brews and experiments.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Have fun with it. I like the two I have. I want to get a 3rd, but keep hemming and hawing if I want another BDC or "something else". Thing is I can't find a "something else" that I like more, as in small batch fermenter with a spigot. And I'm brewing a lot of 5 gallon batches lately, so part of me thinks I should get a 5 gallon fermenter again, but the other part of me (the part that has to carry it down the basement from wherever I brew) doesn't want to do that so much...
Doc

Post by Doc »

Is there a way to install the yeast drain valve on the 2 gallon BrewDemon? Seems this should be a standard item on both the 2 & 6 gallon BrewDemons. :beer:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Doc wrote:Is there a way to install the yeast drain valve on the 2 gallon BrewDemon? Seems this should be a standard item on both the 2 & 6 gallon BrewDemons. :beer:
People have done it, but you have to mod it yourself. You will need to make longer legs, drill a hole in the bottom, etc...
JoeBSoBe

Post by JoeBSoBe »

Does anyone know what the maximum temperature this BrewDemon Conical Fermenter can handle?
I am worried with how thin the plastic is hitting it with hot wort.
Thanks
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

JoeBSoBe wrote:Does anyone know what the maximum temperature this BrewDemon Conical Fermenter can handle?
I am worried with how thin the plastic is hitting it with hot wort.
Thanks
I don't know exactly, but the old LBKs were like 140*. You should cool your wort in the pot before adding it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Never used a Brew Demon, but the Mr. Beer fermenting system is designed for you to add the hot wort to one gallon of COLD WATER, so temp is not an issue. I just checked the Brew Demon site, and they say the same, so it's a non-issue if you follow the directions. http://www.brewdemon.com/download/2G-Be ... ctions.pdf
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

One thing you can do (space allowing) is to fill the BD with the appropriate amount of water the night before and put that in your fridge (or chill the same amount of water in another container) so you get the extra buffer of very cold water, not just tap water.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk