Interesting article

Have a question about how to do a BIAB or have a technique that you want to share. Just brew it!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Interesting article

Post by FedoraDave »

http://www.brewinabag.com/blogs/news/52 ... -explained

What I find most interesting is the gentle condescension, not only in the quotes from the AHA article, but sort of pervasive in the homebrewing community at large. It's not outright scorn for this method; it's more like a kid on a two-wheeler smiling at a kid with training wheels. That air of "they'll grow out of it someday, and learn to do it like us big kids." The idea that someone chooses this method because they simply can't accommodate mashing and sparging in a tun, whether due to space considerations or monetary issues, needs to be challenged.

Me, I use BIAB in my 2.5 gallon batches because the grain bill is smaller, and I don't feel like hoisting around my mash tun and then cleaning it up afterwards for that amount of grain. When I choose to do extract batches, it's often because I want a shorter brew day. Whatever method I choose, I'm happy with the resulting beer.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
FedoraDave's American Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Ladybug Lager -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch -- Moon Shot Double IPA -- 2Daves Irish Red Ale
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Interesting article

Post by John Sand »

There was another recent article, maybe on HBT, titled Moving Beyond BIAB, or Outgrowing BIAB. Every comment blasted the underlying premise. I think there are a couple of causes to that bias. One is that some guys love shiny gear with wires and pumps. (Who doesn't?) They may find it hard to admit that a guy with a paint strainer can make beer as good as their $1000 system. The other is that some people resist change. Many are outraged by experimenting with methods, offended by Brulosopher, really crazed by RM-MN's 10 minute mash. It's curious to me that some guys who might add red pepper or carrot juice to a mash won't consider updating the mash itself.
I use BIAB for all of my grain batches, even with my new 10 gallon cooler. I don't find it necessary to lift or squeeze the bag, I just put a strainer underneath and let it drip.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

As a long time BIAB brewer, I like it. It's not for everyone and has both it's advantages and disadvantages. I get excellent efficiency up to about a 1.080 beer (I rarely brew bigger than that) and I do agree that it's not a clear going into the fermenter but I never had to have clear beer to begin with and crashing the beer has helped alot.
I do think it's easier and faster but not by much.
I don't mill my grains twice and only sparge when I do a double size batch.
I've read recently that close to 50% of the new brewers going from extract to grain are using the BIAB method but I most definitely agree with you Dave, use the method you feel comfy with and if it makes you the beer you like and enjoy, to hell with everyone else's opinion. :jumpy:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I also only BiaB. For me, it's about not fixing what isn't broken. Good beer, easy system for me. I understand the mash tun process, but have never done it in my 50+ batches. I also average around 70-75% efficiency and squeeze the bejeebus out of the bag.

I agree with you all, do what works for you.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I went from being a single infusion mash fly sparger to a single vessel BIAB brewer and have never looked back or had any regrets. I think that some of the people who write those articles may never have brewed using BIAB, or at all for that matter.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm going to draw some fire here I'm sure, but this isn't my intent.

Dave, in this thread you mention not liking the "condescension" in the way people may look at BIAB brewing but in a recent thread you came down pretty hard on one of those do-it-yourself brewing machines. Where is the line you're drawing as to what is ok and and what should be looked down upon? I ask this honestly, as the comments seem a bit disconnected to me and I'm just trying to understand. Forgive my bluntness in the question.

I was brewing BIAB ever since my 3rd or 4th batch of MrBeer brews. A friend researched it and we agreed that it was a cheap and easy way to get into AG brewing. That doesn't mean it is limited to "cheap and easy" but that was the appeal for me at the time. Over the years (and 100+ batches) I stuck with it because it was routine, took up little space and was turning out great beer IMO.

I just recently (this year) moved over to a 7G mash tun without a bag not because I thought I could brew better beer - but because I wanted to try something different and learn a new process to change things up and re-spark my interest.

So I do agree that there are SO many ways to make beer that none should be looked down upon. Everybody chooses a method for a reason and they are likely all valid to that brewer.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

You make a good point Kealia. While I joke about some automatic beer machines, I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone who uses one to brew. And I'm not at all politically correct!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Good points, Kealia. And maybe I'm guilty of that which I accuse others. Could very well be.

I think the difference between the "instant beer machines" and this case is the lack of process in the latter. I like coffee; I drink a couple big mugs every morning. But I don't do anything other than grind the beans the night before, add the water to the machine, set the delay brew, and go to bed, knowing I'll have coffee when I get up in the morning. Gymrat, on the other hand, roasts his own coffee beans, if I recall correctly. That's pretty neat, and he's more of a coffee guru than I am. I just like a hot cup of coffee in the morning.

I make my own barbecue sauce from scratch. Forgive me if I look down a little on people who call a barbecue sauce their own because they take Kraft KC Sauce, add jalapeno peppers, and think they've actually created a new recipe, especially when I labor for an hour or more over mine. I'm not saying their sauce isn't good; I'm saying it's a variation on an existing sauce.

I certainly don't want to be a homebrew snob. And I make AG batches in my mash tun; I utilize BIAB for my smaller AG batches, and I make a number of quite tasty extract batches. I'm also grateful to the Mr. Beer HME recipes that introduced me to homebrewing, and which I used for a couple of years even after I moved to original extract and AG recipes.

There are different levels of brewing, and everyone needs to operate in their comfort zone. Maybe what rankles me in this instance is the idea that BIAB isn't brewing at the same level as 3-step mashing in a tun. Still a far cry from "instant beer."
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
FedoraDave's American Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Ladybug Lager -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch -- Moon Shot Double IPA -- 2Daves Irish Red Ale