Experimental 7270 IPA

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Experimental 7270 IPA

Post by mashani »

Trying out these hops. Used more crystal then I usually do since these hops are a bit nuts.

BIAB Mash for 2.5 gallons

3.00# 2 Row
1.75# Maris Otter
0.50# 40L Crystal
0.25# Carafoam
0.25# Dextrose

2oz Exp 7270 (17.3% AA) @15
2oz Exp 7270 (17.3% AA) @Flameout

30 minute lid on hopstand with all hops

Nottingham

OG 1.060
IBUs with the extra 10 minutes of hopstand utilization are something dumb like 180... as in beyond the threshold where they matter anymore unless your Beer Lord.

My liver should be happy according to that new study.

They were so oily they felt waxy like wet glycerin soap. Hops pellets stuck together, I had to massage them to get them apart. Even more oily the Apollo I used once. Left a visible oil slick on top of the wort.

I have no idea how this will turn out, but the best I can describe the smell of during the boil was that it was like very ripe papaya, skunky melon, and bitter orange peel and god-knows-what.
Beer-lord

Re: Experimental 7270 IPA

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm just honored to be mentioned somewhere in your experiment. :)
Interested in hearing your take on those hops too.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

At some point there should be a hop or an IPA named "BeerLord". But he might have be dead for that honor. A great man, sacrificed for beer everywhere.
Oh yeah, Cool Mash, let us know how it works out.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

John Sand wrote:At some point there should be a hop or an IPA named "BeerLord". But he might have be dead for that honor. A great man, sacrificed for beer everywhere.
Some think I'm already brain dead! :oops:
There's very little info or reviews on the 7270 hops that I can find. What I do see if mixed. Very curious!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Beer-lord wrote:
John Sand wrote:At some point there should be a hop or an IPA named "BeerLord". But he might have be dead for that honor. A great man, sacrificed for beer everywhere.
Some think I'm already brain dead! :oops:
There's very little info or reviews on the 7270 hops that I can find. What I do see if mixed. Very curious!
Try looking it up as:

EXP 07270
Experimental #07270

Seems Hopsteiner uses five digit identifiers...

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I have slight aromas of orange and tropical fruit and spice, piney dank dopey (very dopey) goodness, and um... I think what I'd describe as caramelized onions... coming out of my fermenter.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand I like caramelized onions... but probably a lot of people wouldn't want that in beer.

It is NOT sulfur smell... it really is more like as I described.

So... this will be interesting. We will see if that sticks around or not.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Man, I wish I lived close to you. I'd love to swap beers with you if we did. I love all the late additions, Nelson-forward beers you do, too.

I hope this turns out well for you.
And I'll sign a petition to name a hop after Beer-lord. Perhaps we need a thread for a naming convention?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:Man, I wish I lived close to you. I'd love to swap beers with you if we did. I love all the late additions, Nelson-forward beers you do, too.

I hope this turns out well for you.
And I'll sign a petition to name a hop after Beer-lord. Perhaps we need a thread for a naming convention?
Just to set the record straight, I would keep all royalties for myself. To buy hops for experiments, of course!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

So I bottled this at 1.014

It tasted and smelled good but it was intense, and a lot more firm (bitey) bitter then most late addition beers I make... smelled/tasted like pine, dank dope resin, bitter citrusy stuff, and yes... um... I'd say roasted garlic more then caramelized onions. Like roasted in the oven until it's golden brown on the edges and mushy. It wasn't a sharp taste like raw garlic it was mellower... and I didn't hate it, it actually seemed to mix in with the rest. We will see when it conditions a bit.

So now I brewed another batch with the same grain bill but less Maris Otter as I didn't have that much, so it turned out 1.052, and in it I used 1oz of Mosiac @15 and 0.5oz EACH of Citra and Mosiac @5, and 0.5oz EACH of Citra and Mosiac @0 / lid on hop stand, etc... So a bit more like a very hoppy pale then an IPA (or at least more like what people used to call IPAs before people like Beer Lord were born LOL). That should be tasty.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Popped my trub bottle.

It tastes more or less like I described above, but the garlic/onion thing has really toned down. It still is there but its not bothersome in any way, I might not even notice it now if I wasn't looking for it. It is more or less like I mixed Apollo with some Simcoe and tossed in a bit of bitter orange peel. It's dank and dopy and earthy and piney and has some citrus but more orange then grapefruit. It has a bit of a berry vibe too, but more like if I had used Juniper.

It is intense and has a potent aroma (my kid ran away LOL) and has a big bite for an all late hopped beer. This stuff is potent.

I think mixing this with a hop that has a lot of juicy/berry like flavors would make a really nice beer.

I don't have anyone here who thinks beer smells like cat pee, but I am willing to bet that this does to such a person. Because even though I don't smell cat pee, it smells like other beers that I know people think smell like cat pee.