What type of Bag do you use?

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: What type of Bag do you use?

Post by bpgreen »

I use paint strainer bags for BiaB and use jelly strainers for my homegrown hops (I don't bother with pellets).
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I use a nylon bag that was included with a 1G all grain kit and then I've got a couple muslin bags for hops.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

I use a 6.5 gal sparge bag

sparging_bag_65_gallon_bucket.jpg
sparging_bag_65_gallon_bucket.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

I'm going to Lowes this week and pick up a few items made from stainless steal, a connecting ring for a garbage disposal, some long bolts w/nuts, and a hose clamp. Using the hop sack I got from Wilserbrewer I'm going to make me a hop spider and see how this dose on material that is left in the kettle after boil. The hop sack I use now is from the LHBS and I get a lot of hop material in the kettle with it, so I'm hoping that this will eliminate some of it. I read somewhere that putting a ss nut in the hop sack, it will hold the sack in the boil better than letting it float around. I have seen hop spiders made out of PVC but I've seen these start to melt out of shape so thinking that a ss connecting ring would be better although may cost more, but only a one time cost if it works. One question I have with the Wilserbrewer bags for hops is; is more hops required to reach the desired level of bittering, flavoring, and smell?
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

D_Rabbit wrote:Anyone use the hops bag they have at Wilsbrewer? I use paint strainer bags for my hops with my hop spider but they don't sit as low as I would like them to. Any reviews for that?
When I ordered my BIAB bag from Wilsbrewer, he included a hop bag with the order. I love it. Nice and long - I have a 10g TallBoy kettle and the hop bag reaches to the bottom of that kettle, when suspended from a homemade hop spider, as long as I put some marbles in the bag to weigh it down.
I would say that I've not had any adverse impact from using the bag (with it's fine mesh) over using a muslin sack. Yes, I'm sure commando yields greater utilization. But between the size/shape of the Wilsbrewer hop bag, and the reusability aspect, I'd definitely recommend it.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

JohnSant wrote:Ok I've been using a Bags from my LHBS and I've used Paint Bags from hardware stores. I know that a lot of brewers use the Wilserbrewer Bags http://biabbags.webs.com/ just wondering what those that use them think.
I get these at my work; my cost is $.80/ea...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453004795.747999.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453004795.747999.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

John Sand wrote:I also use paint store bags. They pass some flour, (I grind in a blender) and I have to watch for strain. I've read good things about Wilser Bags. He has sales sometimes.
Wait...what?!? you grind in a blender? How does that work? Do you get tannins in your beer? How does it not turn into flour? I haven't heard of that before, you have got my curiosity way peaked. That is what I love about this hobby, the things that people do that works for them.
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Good news got my Hop spider built and I can say it is sweet. Used all stainless steel and didn't take all that long to make it was a little pricey compared to what some make but I know it will stand up to the heat and will be easy to clean. I used the Wilserbrewer bag I got when I ordered my BIAB from him. Once again tried to upload a picture but just can't seem to do it(maybe need to get my 8 yr. old grandson to help). :flag: