DIY 2.5 gallon electric build ?

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I’ve been considering selling my Zymatic and moving to one of the all inclusive systems like the Grainfather. I don’t need or want to brew 5 gallons and these systems seem like overkill for the smaller batch size that I like to brew.
A 2 1/2 or 3 gallon system seems like a possible diy project. I’m not sure how to go about this project. I would need a 5 gallon stainless vessel,pump, heating element a bag or basket for the grains ,temp controller...
I know there are things that I have forgotten or left out. Has anyone done a similar build? Can you point me to a site or a link with some info? Better yet share your experience.
This could end up being a pipe dream but it seems possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beer-lord

Re: DIY 2.5 gallon electric build ?

Post by Beer-lord »

I've heard nothing but great things about High Gravity Brewing but I don't think they sell anything smaller than 5 gallons but you could certainly just do a 3 gallon brew on it.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I just had an email about a small batch electric. I haven't seen it, don't own anything like it. Here's a link:
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/gigawort

I think there may be others, check Amazon.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

John Sand wrote:I just had an email about a small batch electric. I haven't seen it, don't own anything like it. Here's a link:
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/gigawort

I think there may be others, check Amazon.
Thanks John. That looks exactly like the system I would build if I could. The 200.00 price is really nice. I doubt a diy system would cost less. I would love to see some reviews. It looks like it just came out.

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Banjo-guy, the controller on that unit looks like the same thing that is on my Mash&Boil and it is very simple to use and works good.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

berryman wrote:Banjo-guy, the controller on that unit looks like the same thing that is on my Mash&Boil and it is very simple to use and works good.
This system is just what I was thinking about. I wonder how precise the mash temps are are and if you can program step mashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Banjo-guy wrote:
berryman wrote:Banjo-guy, the controller on that unit looks like the same thing that is on my Mash&Boil and it is very simple to use and works good.
This system is just what I was thinking about. I wonder how precise the mash temps are are and if you can program step mashes.

I think I would be limited to 2 gallon batches with a 4.4 gallon kettle. I haven’t biab brewed in a while but I remember maxing out my 5 gallon kettle for 2.5 gallon brews. I don’t really like high ABV beers so the grain bill would not be normally be hugh.

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I think I could easily brew 5 gallon batches in that. I have brewed 5 gallon BIAB batches in a 20Q pot. Mainly because my stove won't boil anything more then that in a reasonable amount of time.

It just brew them at a higher gravity with a more concentrated mash then a full volume BIAB mash, and then top up with "sparge water" (as in I will sparge the BIAB), for the boil once I pull the bag, and then again with ice water in the fermenters. Which helps me cool them faster, so that's a good side effect. I measure the FG post boil/pre-top up, and then recalculate it after top up based on how much water I added to the fermenter. I usually try to end up with ~3 gallons of wort post boil and then top up each fermenter with 1 gallon of water (I split my 5 gallon batches between two 3 gallon fermenters).

If I can't hit the gravity I want with the grains in the pot, I will use LME or DME or if brewing Belgians or English beers sometimes sugar, to make up the difference. But unless I'm bring something 1.06ish, I generally don't "need" to do it. And I brew most of my beers in the upper 1.04's or low/middle 1.05's. I know some people "poo poo" on the idea of adding some DME, but whatever, I don't care, it makes good beer regardless and that's what matters to me.

Big guys like BMC do the same thing for some of their beers as it lets them make more beer with less equipment/energy/water use, and like their beer or not, they wouldn't do it if they couldn't get the consistent results they wanted.

So IMHO, there is nothing wrong with dilution as long as you build you recipe around it.

But usually I'm brewing 3 gallon batches, and that would work fine for those for sure.

If you really want you could get one of these, it's the same principle, except bigger (and $100 more expensive).

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS ... P4216.aspx

It also has a basket for pulling out and draining/sparging the BIAB, which I don't think this gigawort thing comes with.

That's what Berryman is using. I've been considering one too, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's a bit bigger then I want - as in too tall for me to work with comfortably on my kitchen counter, pretty much impossible/unsafe with the basket pulled out for draining.

This little gigawort thing might work better for me personally.

I wish someone would make a "short fat" version of these things vs. the "tall skinny" ones everyone is making.

Out of curiosity:

Have you had to send your Zymatic back for service often, or has it been reliable for you?

How much are you looking to get for it?
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I’ve sent it back twice for the same issue. The company paid for the shipping to and from no questions asked. They really are very good when it comes to customer service and standing behind their machines. I was out of warranty and they paid for everything.
I haven’t made up my mind yet about selling it but Im thinking of 1300.00 if I do sell it.

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Banjo-guy wrote:

As I said it looks to be the same controller that is on my unit. You can't pre-program a step mash but can very easily do one manually. The mash temp can drop down 5 deg. before it restarts it's heat cycle, and that temp reading is on the bottom but I have used a longer probe thermometer and the middle grain bed stays quite consistent. I also have a pump on mine that at least half way though the mash I can recirculate. That unit you are looking at could have a updated controller but I would bet it is the same one as mine. Hope this helps.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

berryman wrote:
Banjo-guy wrote:

As I said it looks to be the same controller that is on my unit. You can't pre-program a step mash but can very easily do one manually. The mash temp can drop down 5 deg. before it restarts it's heat cycle, and that temp reading is on the bottom but I have used a longer probe thermometer and the middle grain bed stays quite consistent. I also have a pump on mine that at least half way though the mash I can recirculate. That unit you are looking at could have a updated controller but I would bet it is the same one as mine. Hope this helps.
The main thing that’s keeping me with the Zymatic is the very low level of moisture produced. It doesn’t actually boil the wort. The upside is easy repeatability of recipes.
I would like to be more hands-on in my brewing.

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If it's the same controller as on the mash and boil, I think you can dial in whatever temperature you want, IE set it at 195 or whatever and it won't boil either, but you will still get the hop utilization just like the zymatic.

The zymatic doesn't do anything magic to make it make good beer without boiling, they just figured out that it was possible and the whole rolling boil to drive off DMS thing was crap that people "knew" but wasn't actually a thing.

@Berryman can verify this by playing with his, but I'm pretty sure you can do it.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote:If it's the same controller as on the mash and boil, I think you can dial in whatever temperature you want, IE set it at 195 or whatever and it won't boil either, but you will still get the hop utilization just like the zymatic.
@Berryman can verify this by playing with his, but I'm pretty sure you can do it.
Exactly right, that's why you can turn this unit I have into a still if wanted, set it mid 170's and boil off alcohol. can be set at any temp. you want. On full high it doesn't boil quite as hard as I was on my propane turkey cooker, but a good boil and steam. if you didn't want that, start dropping it down a few deg. to get the boil you want. Mine has a + and - button and can change it anytime you want.. I like it.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison