Warm Conditioning/Dry Hopping In Kegs

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Warm Conditioning/Dry Hopping In Kegs

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

So far I have only dry hopped and conditioned my kegged beer when they were cold. In the coming months I will be brewing a lot more beer than will fit inside my refrigerator. How long do you think I could store kegged beer in my garage? The early Spring temperatures inside the garage varies between 60F to 70F. Eventually, for my daughter's wedding in the beginning of June, I will be bottling all of the beer.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Warm Conditioning/Dry Hopping In Kegs

Post by Kealia »

Good question as I've never kept my kegs that warm with dry/keg hops in them. What I can say is that if it were me, I would dry/keg hop them just before bottling time.
Meaning, I would keep them at whatever temp you have to (60-70) while conditioning, but I would dry/keg hop a week before bottling.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Kealia wrote:Good question as I've never kept my kegs that warm with dry/keg hops in them. What I can say is that if it were me, I would dry/keg hop them just before bottling time.
Meaning, I would keep them at whatever temp you have to (60-70) while conditioning, but I would dry/keg hop a week before bottling.
That seems t make the most sense to me too, thank you for following up. I guess storing beer in kegs at 60-70F for 2 months won't hurt anything. Then dry hopping them for 2 weeks prior to bottling.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

It would be kind of like bottle conditioning, but to give it that "freshness" keg hop it when you start cooling and carbing.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013