Christmas Beer: Fig Anise Dubbel

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Christmas Beer: Fig Anise Dubbel

Post by John Sand »

I tore this recipe out of BYO November 2016. I am considering adjustments. It won First at Homebrew Alley NYC in 2015
5#6oz Pilsner
4#5oz Munich
13oz Aromatic
9oz Caramunich 2
4oz Special B
1.5# D90 Candi Syrup
8oz D180 Candi Syrup
1.5# Roasted Figs
1 Star Anise
6.2AAU Styrian Goldings @60
1oz Styrian Goldings @0
WLP540
Mash 151, 90 minute boil, ferment at 66

My changes: Sub an equal amount of calories of fig preserves, use EKG for Styrian, 1#@ of C90 and C180, use WLP530 in the 70s.
These are all for convenience, to use ingredients on hand or easily obtained.
What do you think?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Christmas Beer: Fig Anise Dubbel

Post by berryman »

That sounds like a good idea John and should start on working on one. a couple things I wonder is why a 90 min boil? maybe because it has a lot of Pilsner? and when do you add the candy Syrups and the other spices? Sounds like a good holiday beer to me.
What is the SG/OG on this?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

The recipe calls for the syrups added @10, the figs and anise @0, OG 1.071.
I would add the syrups individually in the fermenter to help reduce foaming over, which I expect anyway. I suspect the 90 minute boil is for Pilsner, the recipe calls for a 90 minute mash too. I would just do 60 on both.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You certainly aren't going to go wrong by using more 180, I prefer it anyways but it's going to kick up the raisin/fig factor a notch.

So then the only thing would be using EKG vs. Styrians as the @0 addition. EKG have a sweeter nose and are milder, you won't get as much of the spicy nose that the styrians would give you. I don't know how important that is for this (or for you), IE if it's a foil against the figgy anise pudding nature of the beer. But then the WLP 530 might give you a bit more spice then the WLP 540 would have (I don't know for sure, never used WLP 540), but it sounds like it's more fruity.

In any case it does sound delicious and I'm sure it will still be great, it just might seem a bit more figgy and a bit less spicy then the original.

EDIT: I just noticed "fig preserves / calories".

One thing to consider here is that fig preserves are full of sugar, so that amount of fig preserves will actually be a good bit less figs and a good bit more sugar then is in the recipe. You might want to consider using something like 2x the amount of calories of fig preserves, and taking out even more of the 90L as the sugar in the fig preserves can replace that sugar if you are using more 180L.

UNLESS you want a drier and less figgy beer...

Or maybe consider using equal calories worth of chopped up dried figs if you don't want to roast fresh ones cuz they are a PITA to get. Dried ones are as easy to get as preserves, maybe easier even. I'd just toss them in the boil for 5 minutes. That's what I did with chopped up raisins in a dubble I've got here now, and that worked out well, except for raisin floaties, but I think figs are more dense and should sink better. That should get you the full figgyness.

Just some random thoughts...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Mash. I was thinking about the sugar in the preserves too. I may do as you suggest with the figs and sugars. Did you leave the raisins in to ferment or pull them after the boil. This recipe call for a post boil steep, and I assume removal. As for the hops, I also have Fuggles, Czech Saaz, US Saaz, Hallertau and Aramis.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I boiled the chopped up raisins for 5 minutes and they went into the fermenter. Unfortunately some ended up in my bottles. Not causing problems in the ones I've consumed, but I have to filter them out as I pour the beer when I get close to the bottom of the bottle. They are pretty much tasteless if you chew on them (taste like the beer), so they gave up all they got.

If you remove them then the yeast won't be able to get at the sugars, you'll get a more limited effect I think, only whatever flavor and sugar you get from the steep or boil and that's not going to be all they got.

I think you'd get more from fresh juicy figs that you caramelized in a pan if you did that then you would out of dry ones.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I am using dried fig preserves, which I sort of expect to dissolve in the boil, so I guess they are going in the fermenter anyway.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Brewed this today, using C120 instead of the Special B, which I could not find in my supplies. Decided to up the fig as Mash suggested, also split the difference on hops, using US EKG for bittering, US Saaz finishing. Boiled the fig preserves, they dissolved. I believe the seeds went out with the trub.
The brewday felt really smooth, the candi syrups will be added to the fermenter when it starts to slow.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Just to update this thread: Drinking this now, I like it. The anise is present, but not strong. I'm not sure you would identify it if I didn't tell you it was in there. This beer is smooth with a dry finish that tastes of chocolate or coffee. I believe that last is from the dark sugar or dark crystal. Anyway, I'm pleased.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

You sure start drinking early! :jumpy:

How did you roast the figs? I'm not a fig lover but have had them in pies and they were good.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

You can't drink all day if you don't start early. :)
I didn't roast the figs because I'm lazy.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Maybe if you didn't start drinking so early you wouldn't be so lazy. :banana: :hammer: :oops:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

:lol: :lol:
I read your words but I don't understand. :D
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

So, elsewhere I noted that I blended this beer with the Belgian IPA, improving both.
I brought that mix to a homebrew meeting tonight, it was well received.
Never mind, there it is.