NEIPA attempt

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: NEIPA attempt

Post by Beer-lord »

Jeff, did you find that someone recommended those numbers? I've been searching for ppm's for this recipe and it's all over the place.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Googled NEIPA water profile. Found a thread by Oldsock aka Michael Tonsmeire author of American Sour Beers where he recommended 100 Chloride and 175 Sulfate. Figured that was good enough for me. Brings my Chloride/Sulfate ratio to .65 and anything below .77 helps enhance bitterness.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks, I follow his podcasts and trust his opinion.
Gonna fine tune everything tonite. Think I'll go with a decent steep hop amount but go with a huge dry hop amount. Some say use more at steep and less at dry hop but I'm going with my original plan on this first go round.
Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Today turned out very well......hope that continues to kegging. Hit the numbers spot on, 6 hours later, I have activity. Gonna watch closely each day and drop hop twice with the first one coming in just a few days. All new stuff to me but I happily look forward to this first attempt. Got a few ideas for the next one.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Mine, too! I hit 1.064 after a serious stuck space (I'll start a thread for that). Sample was nice and wheat-hazy.
I pitched about 300B cells of GY054 @ 70 degrees and that is where I am fermenting. According to their site the range is 62-75.

I won't be able to dry hop until Thursday so that is when I will.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I think I have to wait until the weather warms up a wee little bit before I brew mine. My temps are a bit too low for the yeast to do the right thing. Don't want to use Notty for this. I'll probably do my levitation cloneish thing again first.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

This morning with just a hint of activity and a slight amount of krausen still on top, I added my first mega dry hop! I didn't take a reading because I just don't care enough to. Prolly can't mess this up.
The plan is to wait about 5 more days then add the rest of the dry hop in. Let that set for 4-5 days than chill for 2 days and keg. Gonna have to drink this one fast I think to keep it fresh.
Over the weekend I read more than I wanted to about all the ways brewers do their New England IPA's and it pretty much seems they do whatever the frack they want too!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Here's the one I brewed, FWIW. I wish I had still had some around for the Asheville trip. It was a nice attempt, though it under-attenuated and only came in around 7-7.25%. This is based on a recipe from Lawson's they provided for their Double Sunshine DIPA....

Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
OG: 1.074
FG: 1.013
IBUs: 100+
ABV: 8%

MALT/GRAIN BILL
8.5 lb 2-row pale ale malt
12 oz Carapilsen malt
2.5 lb Vienna malt
1 lb flaked oats
6 oz Caramunich malt

HOPS & ADDITIONS SCHEDULE
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus [14% AAU] at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 20 minutes
1 lb (454 g) corn sugar at 10 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 5 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at knockout
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at dry hop

YEAST
Fermentis Safale US-05, Lallemand BRY-097, Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) -- I used BRY-097

DIRECTIONS
Single infusion mash: mash of 152°F (67°C). Hold for 45 minutes, then raise to mash-out temp

Ferment at 68°F for one week. Add the dry hops and let the beer sit for an additional four to seven days at 55–57°F.
Last edited by swenocha on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

The most bitter IPA I ever brewed (twice) had a sulfate to chloride ratio of 19:1. The chloride measured 8ppm and the sulfate measured 159ppm. The water profile combined with 117 IBUs produced a very bitter beer. To my surprise though another club member said it wasn't as hoppy as the Kane Head High IPA I was trying to clone. Go figure?

Cloudy NEIPAs are all the rage here in the New Jersey area these days. Although some breweries are refusing to brew them, those that do are getting a lot of word of mouth attention. I haven't planned on brewing one yet, but I'd think oats and wheat would add to the cloudiness and softer mouthfeel as would a very low flocculant strain of yeast such as Wyeast 1450 - Denny's Favorite 50. I don't know its just a hunch but I would be interested to hear how your NEIPAs came out and your thoughts about it.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I got home yesterday from a 3-day trip and planned to dry hop it during the tail-end of fermentation as has been discussed in this thread.

I set up a blowoff because I had close to 6G in the fermenter and pitched about 300B yeast and expected some high activity. I was expecting to see some good activity when I got home but to my surprise the blowoff was quiet and only contained the bit of Starsan that I put in it - with no bubbles, etc. So...this yeast had come and done its thing and was already tailing off - wow.

I pitched 4.5oz in it and saw a pretty think krausen ring inside so yeah, this worked quickly. This morning there is ever-so-slight bubbling in the airlock so there's still a little sumpin sumpin going on. I don't think it will make too much of a difference, but I think this is going to finish pretty quickly. I'm going to pull a gravity sample tomorrow just to check and see where it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Kealia wrote:I got home yesterday from a 3-day trip
That's cool, where'd ya go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Looks like to some 'cat-house'. Ron, who knew.
I added my first mega dry hop to my NEIPA with about 2 days of activity left. Now things have tamed to nothing. I also will take a reading this weekend.
I was going to do the same to the Fat Tuesday Pale but decided to see what this yeast was like with out the biotransformation that supposedly makes NE IPA's special.
Plus, I'm not sure I want 2 very cloudy and turbid beers going at the same time. :oops:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Inkleg wrote:
Kealia wrote:I got home yesterday from a 3-day trip
That's cool, where'd ya go?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Any Road Up NEIPA is one week in and has reached FG. After adding the first hop drop while still fermenting, the next dry hop will be in a few days. I'll let that sit for 5 days then cold crash for 2 and keg.
It smells wonderful though I didn't taste it yet. So far, it looks very much like it should. I'm still curious how long a 'juicy' beer will last in a keg.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm in the same boat. Exactly 1 week in and I've reached FG @ 1.011 and my dry hop has been in place since Thursday afternoon. I'm going to give it just another day or two to finish up (likely not needed) and then crash for 2 days before kegging. It looks beautifully hazy, seems to be the perfect color for what I was aiming for and smells INCREDIBLE.