NEIPA attempt

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: NEIPA attempt

Post by Beer-lord »

Looks perfect! So you will be drinking this way before I will. I may do a fast carb on the keg once done since I'm impatient.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on what you'd change if and when you rebrew.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Checked gravity again today (same sample) and I'm still at 1.012 (I misread the first reading due to some bubbles). This yeast kicked ass taking it from 1.064 to 1.012. Of course, I also used the pitch calculator that mashani really likes (and have been for a while now) so I pitched a LOT of yeast.

When drinkable, this will be 6.8% which is high enough for me to pack a punch without getting "hot" or overly boozy.

I'm crashing now and will keg on Friday/Saturday and also try a quick-carb on this batch to "Enjoy By ASAP" :give:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

What calc are you using? I've used mrmalty.com but prefer yeastcalculator.com. It's never let me down.
As mentioned, mine got to 1.011 and is just waiting for dose #2 of hops. Since I have 2 beers in the keezer at the same time, and the pale was done a few days later, the NEIPA will have to wait to get chilled but I'm about a week behind you. You be the tester on the and give me a thumbs up or down when you can.
I've tried to keep most of my beers to 6% or less but have failed and have a few nearing 7. But I do like them big!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

This is the one.

I used Mr Malty for years until about 6 months ago. I saw mashani's repeated mention's of "pitching a lot of yeast" and this calculator so I checked it out. You can see that the numbers are much higher than Mr Malty's numbers. I use either the Pro Brewer 0.75 or 1.0 numbers depending on how much time I have and how quickly I can hit the numbers...... :whistle:

Like him, I get pretty quick finishes on my beers now (more so than I used to) and they are ready without much, if any, additional conditioning time.

Since a few of us are doing this, I'm hoping to bottle a few and send them off.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Looks and sounds tasty Ron and I think I can smell it from here. I will not get a chance to brew mine till the 17th.
I've been using this calculator lately. I like the overbuild feature that it has and use it to farm an extra 100 billion yeast cells to store for later use. After the starter has run it's course I'll swirl the yeast into suspension and fill a pint jar. This jar is my farmed yeast and will be roughly 100 billion cells. I will label and store in the fridge until I'm ready to use it by making another starter. The remaining starter gets cold crashed and will be decanted before being pitched on brew day.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Looks like the numbers from these two are either spot-on the same (in most cases) or MINOR differences. I do like the overbuild feature - that's cool.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I did a second huge dry hop of the NEIPA this morning. Wow! Just opening the fermenter was like breathing in tropical fruit. I hope it's balanced when done and if it tastes anything like it smells, I'm going to be one happy guy.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:This is the one.

I used Mr Malty for years until about 6 months ago. I saw mashani's repeated mention's of "pitching a lot of yeast" and this calculator so I checked it out. You can see that the numbers are much higher than Mr Malty's numbers. I use either the Pro Brewer 0.75 or 1.0 numbers depending on how much time I have and how quickly I can hit the numbers...... :whistle:

Like him, I get pretty quick finishes on my beers now (more so than I used to) and they are ready without much, if any, additional conditioning time.

Since a few of us are doing this, I'm hoping to bottle a few and send them off.
Yeah, I have said this before but since switching to the 0.75/1.0 (I've even done the 1.25 in a ~1.09 beer) pretty much everything would be good to drink right out of the fermenter at 2 weeks, if I could force carb it. They are actually usually done fermenting long before that (3-7, maybe 10 days for big things) but I just leave them in there due to rotation/timing issues. Even the biggest beers, no hot alcohols, nothing, it's just good. I know it seems crazy at first to pitch that much yeast (I would have said it was crazy a couple years ago) but it works and I like it.

I only don't go as high with high fruit ester beers (IE banana wheat), as I don't get as much banana as I like if I pitch that much yeast. But if all I want are light fruity esters (most Belgians) I will pitch a lot still, as I still get them, but I'm also not afraid to and do ferment my Belgians at pretty high temps.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Beer-lord wrote:I did a second huge dry hop of the NEIPA this morning. Wow! Just opening the fermenter was like breathing in tropical fruit. I hope it's balanced when done and if it tastes anything like it smells, I'm going to be one happy hoppy guy.
ftfy ;)
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I kegged mine over the weekend - still able to use the spigot on the SS BrewBucket! Lots of trub and hop debris left over, it smelled amazing and the appearance is spot-on for now. I'm hoping to take a test pour this coming weekend.

Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Looks good Ron.

Y'all are going to force me to get one of those SS buckets.

Just curious, what's up with the egg?
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Just noticed that your fermenter has liter markings and they are much darker than my gallon only markings.
And dude, that's not fair. I brewed mine 2 days before you and haven't even crashed mine yet to keg. (but I had 2 dry hops so I beat you anyway)

Jeff, if you put a raw egg in your beer, it makes you more virile! I thought that's what you used to become manly!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Beer-lord wrote: I thought that's what you used to be some manly!
:huh: :huh: In english please. Thanks.

On the manly subject. How were you wearing your kilt in Asheville? ;)
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Inkleg wrote:
Beer-lord wrote: I thought that's what you used to be some manly!
:huh: :huh: In english please. Thanks.

On the manly subject. How were you wearing your kilt in Asheville? ;)
English? OK, I fixed it.
Prolly wearing it backwards like I live my life.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Inkleg wrote:Looks good Ron.
Y'all are going to force me to get one of those SS buckets.
Just curious, what's up with the egg?
Yes, you know you want one! I had to look back at the pictures to see what you meant about the egg. Because I brew in the kitchen, some pictures pick up things in the background. We have chickens, that is the LONE egg we've gotten in the past 5 days :x
Beer-lord wrote:Just noticed that your fermenter has liter markings and they are much darker than my gallon only markings.
Not sure if you can tell but mine has liters and gallons. You bought yours as a pre-sale or something didn't you?

I hope this beer turns out as good as I want it to be.