NEIPA attempt

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: NEIPA attempt

Post by bpgreen »

I haven't bottled in a long time. But I'm pretty sure pitching rates won't make a difference there.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I usually over pitch but not by a lot. My beers have been better IMO doing that.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about bottling. I was referring to how much would have been produced during fermentation. I'd still try one at 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Well, I popped the tester of the Mosiac + Citra + Brett C version. This is right at two weeks from bottling. It looks NEIPAish still I think?

This smells and tastes like someone took a Pineapple, a Mango, and a Papaya, and some blueberries (or something like that) juiced them, and then made a "glass" out of another hollowed out pineapple and are drinking from it. So.. if that sounds good you would find this wicked. It has a nice silky mouth feel. I like it a hella lot.

I do not taste any acetaldehyde, so maybe I can drink my beers at 2 weeks in the bottle with my pitch rates. I would not have thunk this before so more experimentation along those lines is in order with a less intense flavored beer.
IMG_2546.jpg
IMG_2546.jpg (59.09 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

It looks and sounds great. That was very much how mine was for the first few weeks. I think Beer-lord and I have found that ours changed pretty quickly so I'm interested to see how yours and Inkleg's change (or don't) over 4 weeks or so.

Glad there is no acetaldehyde in it that you can taste.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Well, I popped the first bottle of the second batch I made with Mosiac + Equinox today, right at 2 weeks, it looks more or less the same as the one above, just a shade lighter, and a bit more murky (it had more hop oils to "biotransform", maybe that's why it's more murky, it looks like a yellow colored milkshake...). It tastes a bit more complex, has less pineapple, more musky seeming tropical fruit, a bit more citrus, and is a good bit more bitter because the Equinox has like 6% more AA then the Citra did in batch #1 and some of those hops in both batches went into my lid-on hopstand. Bitterness is more firm... more like a "real IPA". It is very refreshing because of it, but maybe less "juicy" seeming because of it too. Part of that might also be that since this was a PM my calcium chloride went into the mash part, but that was split into 2 equal parts, and this batch was 3 gallons vs. 2.5, so because the water profile of the water added later which I didn't adjust with more calcium chloride, this has harder water. And figuring out water salt additions when you do a PM is tricky, even when you know your water report and adjust for full volume, because you don't really know what's in the extract... so I am conservative about it the first time I try something like that and then adjust more in future batches if I think more/less will improve the flavor (which is why I didn't try to adjust in batch #2, I simply wasn't sure if it would be better or worse to do so). This is one case where doing a full mash with RO water would be easier on the brain for sure. Don't try this at home LOL.

Anyways, no acetaldehyde here either. So, I think 2 weeks is actually good for me to crack open my beers, even though I'm bottling with priming sugar. Or at least it is with a low floc yeast (as in a lot of yeast ended up in these bottles, and is likely still in suspension). I guess I have to try a batch with Notty and see if it cleans up that fast.

I will have to do a side by side to say that for sure and decide which I like better, but my bet is batch #1 is closer to "style" flavor wise, and this one is drifting slightly more west coast IPAish in flavor but is perhaps better disguised as a NE IPA in appearance. But I'm happy to be drinking this regardless and I think it's the best beer I've made with Equinox.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:It looks and sounds great. That was very much how mine was for the first few weeks. I think Beer-lord and I have found that ours changed pretty quickly so I'm interested to see how yours and Inkleg's change (or don't) over 4 weeks or so.
So FWIW, week 3, #1 attempt hasn't changed a huge amount.

The biggest change is that it's more highly carbonated and seems a little bit more bitter, but that's because the Brett C is still slowly eating sugar. The extra carbonation and extra time for it to get into solution is really nice change, it now has smaller bubbles, a more soft light fluffy head that looks like whipped egg whites (except it tastes like mango and pineapple) that sticks around and laces the glass. The flavors and aromas might be a little bit softer (not saying they are, if they are its subtle). If so, they are still very pleasing.

The other biggest change is not only has it not cleared, but it is instead even more cloudy and opaque and milkshake like. Honestly it looks totally disgusting from an old school perspective. It's way more cloudy then any WIT beer I've ever made.

I'm not sure how that works or why, it makes no sense to me? Brett C biotransformation while it's slowly fermenting more sugar in my bottles? I'm sure some hops got into the bottles, I've found a few floaters here and there, since the yeast didn't floc out, the hops didn't get stuck in the trub. I've got no good way to keep them out at that point, so it is what it is.

I am not putting this stuff in the fridge for long periods of time, so whatever is doing that is doing it in the bottle at 60ish degree temps. Maybe it would clear if I left it cold for a long time (but I don't plan on doing that unless it's going down hill).

I mean look at it... YUCK. (except it tastes so good)
IMG_2563.jpg
IMG_2563.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

This is V2 (Mosiac + Equinox) at nearly 3 weeks in the bottle....

It is as above, a bit more carbonated, due to the Brett slowly eating more sugar.

It also has gotten more cloudy. How do things get more cloudy in the bottle with age? It looks yucky.

Tastes exactly the same as 2 weeks old as far as I can tell. It tastes yummy. But for sure it's more firmly bitter then #1 attempt. Do not underestimate how many IBUs you can actually get from a hot whirlpool/flameout addition. You can get a lot when using a bunch of 18% AA hops.

Side by side soon...

I am wiling to say that Lallemand London ESB yeast is a good yeast to use for one of these if your looking for a dry yeast choice though. These beers taste great and look nasty. As it should be I guess.
Yuck.jpg
Yuck.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Haha, yucky is good!

Looks like even Stone is going to get in on the action.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:Haha, yucky is good!

Of course it would be a DIPA!
You know I'll try it....if it makes it here, which is doubtful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Kealia wrote:Haha, yucky is good!

I'll be buying that one too!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW: Both of my beers pretty much taste the same as they did early on. Both have lost a bit of aroma, but there is still a good bit of it. Both are still murky and disgusting looking. I still like them both quite much.

When you guys say yours went downhill after a while, how downhill and how fast are you talking?

I did all of my hops and 10 minute and hop stand additions, + the dry hops.

Some of my lingering pineapple aroma might be the Brett C though.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Mine kicked early last weekend but while most of the nose actually stayed nice almost to the end, when the beer cleared more, it seemed to get more bitter and certainly much less balanced. Not bad at all and still drinkable but when you have it fresh, it's a huge difference. Actually, this beer started declining within 3 weeks of kegging it but I just can't drink it that fast.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Morning all. 40 mash minutes left on my second go round of this style.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Remind me again what you're doing different this time.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black