Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

Post by BlackDuck »

All done. I'll let it air dry for 24 hours then rinse down and dry.

Now that I got that done. Have you seen the SS Brewtech mash tun? Pretty sweet. You can add a heating pad to the bottom to maintain a constant temp. Like in the 115 F range. Would be great for doing kettle sours!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Just about everything they do is based on input from homebrewers (and pros) and is well thought out. I wish I could buy just about everything they offer!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Looks nice....I just wish this stuff wasn't so expensive.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

*bump*

I was reading on HBT how some people are doing a pressure transfer from their SS Buckets to their kegs and I think I'm going to do this on my next batch.
They do sell a PRV on their site but it requires the drilling of another hole in the lid, which I'm not wild about having to do.

So, I kept looking at they do have a simple 90-degree elbow that can be used for a blow-off tube which I really like. The way I do it now seems to cause a kink in the tubing, so I plan to pick one of these up from my local hardware store (assuming I can find one that fits) and use it for attaching my blowoff tube first, then switching to use it to push 1-2 psi of CO2 through it when I'm ready to rack:
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/blow-off-barb-for-ftss-lids

Should work like a charm (as others have noted) as long as the psi stays low.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I think Brulosophy (or someone else) did a podcast discussing a test of doing a pressure transfer and ordinary siphon and only a very small portion of testers noticed a tiny difference. Still, if you can, why not. It may not be better but likely help it not get worse or at the very least, last longer before a keg might show signs of age.
I hope it works well for you.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Sometimes I think I just need to add something or change my process. I already gravity feed from the spigot so this is just a minor change/upgrade. I'll let you know how it goes.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

How exactly do you push it out with pressure? Do you attach the gas "in" line to the new attachment on the lid then push out through the spigot at the bottom and into the keg? Other than allowing a small exposure to O2 letting gravity do the work, what's the benefit of doing it with pressure?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yep, you nailed it. The benefit, as I see it, would be the ability to purge the receiving keg of oxygen and seal the lid. Then, you connect the spigot out from the fermentor to the beer out line on the keg, setting the PRV open to allow CO2 to vent out. So, you rack into an already purged and sealed keg instead of through the open top of the keg - thus reducing oxygen exposure even more.

Plus, it might be more fun.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Got it...makes total sense. And you're right, it will definitely be more fun, and it will look cool too.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Inky did this recently when he fermented in a keg and jumped it into a new keg. This would just be doing it from the Brewbucket.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Beer-lord wrote:Just about everything they do is based on input from homebrewers (and pros) and is well thought out. I wish I could buy just about everything they offer!
You would probably need to be a millionaire to be able to do that. Ha Ha, I really like my brew bucket, yes a lot more money then a plastic bucket or carboy that will accomplish the same thing in the end, but so nice and well built...... All good stuff they make and sell...
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Beer-lord wrote:The instructions I got said to point it down as the beer is fermenting and then point it up right before you use it, that way only a small amount of junk gets in it.
I did see they sell a longer one. I like using my auto siphon so no biggie for me.
BL, I have been a little confused on the directions on using my 7 gal. Brew Bucket and have done 5 batches in it so far. If the racking arm is pointed up, it will leave over a gal in the fermenter, when pointed down you get the maximum amount of beer and with the V/conical bottom the trub is below the draw off. (usually). I have been pointing mine up for fermentation and down for racking. Have I been doing this wrong and backwards?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Here's what you do:
Point it sideways/90-degrees/horizontally for fermenting so true doesn't drop into it.
When ready to rack, rotate 90-degrees clockwise so that it is vertical and draws from the clean beer well above the trub.
As you get lower in the fermenter you can re-rotate it back counter-clockwise to 90-degrees or even down to draw out the last amount.

That may sound harder than it really is. Basically start at 9:00, start racking at 12:00 and rotate back to 9:00 or even 6:00 as you get to the bottom.

I like using the spigot and gravity to rack so much more than my auto-siphon. And now, I'm hoping to do the pressure transfer on my next batch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I decided to go the route of the elbow to allow for a blowoff tube. That has been hooked up since I brewed this last weekend. This weekend I started thinking about how to handle cold crashing and then the pressure transfer.

I didn't want to buy the PRV that they sell as I wanted a larger diameter for the blowoff so I pieced together a few pieces of hardware to solve my "problem".

When put together I end up with a 1/2" barb (blowoff tube) reduced down to 5/16" (gas line).

That's great for the pressure transfer but what about when I remove the blowoff jar to cold crash? I don't want to suck in air nor sanitizer. This was an easy fix, too. I simply bought a plug to replace the 5/16" barb that I can easily screw in/out as needed.
Now that fermentation is over and I want to start cold crashing, I simply added this plug to the mix:

The perfect solution to meet my "needs". Yeah, none of this is necessary but I wanted to do it :)