Carbonating and Taste

Recipes based on BrewDemon Extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tapakegaday

Carbonating and Taste

Post by Tapakegaday »

I bottled my first batch of brew about 8 weeks ago. Let it carbonate for 4 weeks, and put a bottle in the fridge for a few days. The first bottle I had tasted great, no issues with odd taste of anything. As the days and weeks have went by different bottles I put in the fridge have tasted a little off. It’s carbonated and all but the later bottles have especially been off. Is it possible for beer to over carbonate and taste fowl? If so how do I stop the carbonation process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Carbonating and Taste

Post by John Sand »

Do they seem overly fizzy? While carbonation does affect the taste slightly, it may be something else. The worst case is that they have an infection (not dangerous) that will cause overcrbonation and off flavors. The best case is that maybe you are perceiving them differently. Has anyone else been drinking them? Is there a nearby homebrew club, or a homebrew store with meetings? Try to get some feedback. Whatever the problem, you can solve it in future batches.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You probably have an infection of some sort. If it is every bottle and they all keep getting worse, then it probably was either in the fermenter or in the bottling wand. You should check your sanitation procedures and make sure those things don't have scratches in them.

If you put everything in the fridge, the should remain pretty much "as is". At room temp it might keep progressing until it runs out of stuff to eat. How long that is depends on what "it" is.

Whatever "it" is won't hurt you so if you can still drink them I'd just say put them all in the fridge and drink them.
Tapakegaday

Post by Tapakegaday »

John Sand wrote:Do they seem overly fizzy? While carbonation does affect the taste slightly, it may be something else. The worst case is that they have an infection (not dangerous) that will cause overcrbonation and off flavors. The best case is that maybe you are perceiving them differently. Has anyone else been drinking them? Is there a nearby homebrew club, or a homebrew store with meetings? Try to get some feedback. Whatever the problem, you can solve it in future batches.
They do seem overly fizzy when I pour the first glass out of a bottle and some of my foam doesn’t settle after I leave it for a little while. I can see the infection being the taste problem but want to figure out the foam problem too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Foam (aka 'head') isn't neccessarily a bad thing. I know in THIS case you're saying the beer is over-carbed, but having some head stick around after the initial pour isn't a bad thing.
Once you have the carb dialed in (and infection figured out if that is the case) things will be different and then you can adjust from there.

But again, head on a beer is a good thing.