Green Apple Flavors in All refills

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Green Apple Flavors in All refills

Post by MadBrewer »

DjPorkchop wrote:
MadBrewer wrote:I didnt' read all the posts if it's mentioned already but I assume you were using the stock yeast for the MB refills? Not sure what that yeast is anymore, but I remember the packets before for one not being enough yeast and two you never know the storage conditions it had before you used it. When you were making your own extract/grain batches perhaps you also upgraded the yeast?

I actually never made any of my own recipes using the "new generation" MrBeer refills. Back in the old days I did often (pre sale of company to Coopers). The only 3 I have done thus far is the mexican azteca (??) and a CAL that I know of and I believe another CAL as well. Plain jane stock, under the lid yeast used.

The home made recipes I referred to, were using briess exrtacts, hops and steeping grains and yeast s of my choice. No MR Beer involved. I just used the home made recipes for reference to cleaning ans sanitization as well as temp and water conditions.
I see. Looking over the posts Mashani mentions the characteristics of Coopers yeast. I never used it, but that green apple character is a yeast thing. Extract twang, conditioning...etc all aside, the green apple character is a yeast byproduct. Again, never using Coopers yeast I can't comment on it but you might need to experiment a little bit if you are going to continue to brew with the MB/Coopers refills and yeast. I only had a strong green apple character in my first batch using MB directions and recomendations and their yeast. Never had it with premium dry yeasts or pretty much any batch after that first one. Sounds like that Coopers is a little more temperature sensitive and it might need a little more clean up time.
Brew Strong My Friends...
DjPorkchop

Post by DjPorkchop »

Well, I have to come clean and say I won't be using them anymore. Not only for my issues but for a few other issues I will leave nameless due to not wanting to stir up the pot. However, I have to tell anyone that has the time and space to condition to go for it. Mr Beer is how I got started and I loved it til this very day. If I do use refills anymore, it will be brew demon for sure. But I think for the most part I am going to stick to 5 gallon batches of the briess extract and steeping grains.

I appreciate all the replies folks! Happy brewing!!
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

DjPorkchop wrote:Well, I have to come clean and say I won't be using them anymore. Not only for my issues but for a few other issues I will leave nameless due to not wanting to stir up the pot. However, I have to tell anyone that has the time and space to condition to go for it. Mr Beer is how I got started and I loved it til this very day. If I do use refills anymore, it will be brew demon for sure. But I think for the most part I am going to stick to 5 gallon batches of the briess extract and steeping grains.

I appreciate all the replies folks! Happy brewing!!

Sounds like a good plan. I prefer using DME or LME + hops instead of MrB.

Still love the fermenter just not the extended wait for decent beer.

However I do still purchase MrB when they do steep discounts. But I typically add hops and/or extract/grains. This tends to mask the green flavor a bit.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA