MrB Porter

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

pengins27

MrB Porter

Post by pengins27 »

Gentleman, I have one MrB Porter and almost a full bag of Caramel40 grains, if i steep the bag of grains for 20 min, add the MrB can....what will the caramel do to a porter? lighten it? is this a terrible idea?
=====================
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: MrB Porter

Post by RickBeer »

How much is "almost a full bag"? You need to weight it.

Adding a small amount of Caramel 40 wouldn't hurt it - like 4oz. It would lighten it, but it's so little that it won't light it much.

If you haven't made American Porter by itself, I wouldn't do it.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm not a porter fan myself, but I'll pile on to what Rick said: If you haven't brewed the recipe straight-up yet to determine a baseline before making additions, I would strongly recommend you do that.
If you have, please ignore this post.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

If you have never tried this porter before, I would most likely not add it. A small amount like 4 oz steeped most likely won't hurt it and maybe give it a fresher flavor.. If you want to play with steeping grains you can't almost go wrong with 4 oz of carapils in a MB size batch....A good steeping grain to give your beer good head.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison