Red X Malt

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Red X Malt

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm brewing another beer with Red X this weekend and using 40% Red X. Lots of what I read shows that unless you use 90-100%, the beer under attenuates but I don't want to use all Red X so, I'm thinking to do a step BIAB mash. It's a pain in the arse but for those who have used Red X, have you noticed an attenuation problem?
I may just add a bit more 2 row and call it even since step mashes take more time and effort and, well, I'm not lazy but going in that direction. Would a longer mash help?
Ideas, thoughts?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Red X Malt

Post by Kealia »

I only used it the one time and I used 100%. Don't cite my results as an example, though since I used it in my Levitation recipe and mashed really high. Mine finished at 1.022 which isn't uncommon for where my Levitation finishes. So what I can say is that it finished in line with previous batches that didn't use Red X.

What I can tell you is that 100% Red X malt makes for a beautiful color beer, though. I'll try to find a pic.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I remember those pics and I know I used it at about 80% my first try and looking at my notes, it should have finished at 1.011 and finished at 1.016. Not horrible but it was still very good once I got rid of the green pepper flavor from the Equinox (remember, I keg hopped it with Amarillo and Cascade and a few weeks later, it was drinking ok).
Once again I'm playing around with hops with this recipe. Guess I should really try 'normal' hops with Red X next time.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Meh, what's "normal" to the spider is a calamity to the fly.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Your notes say it "should" have finished at 1.011, but what do your notes say your actual mash temperatures where? What yeast did you pitch, how much, what was your OG. There are other variables that determine FG. Let's look at all of them.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:I'm brewing another beer with Red X this weekend and using 40% Red X. Lots of what I read shows that unless you use 90-100%, the beer under attenuates
I don't understand that. If Red X had/caused attenuation problems, then the MORE you use the worse it should get, not the other way around.

I think the people reporting this are on crack and just mashing their beer higher then normal and then bitching about it and blaming the Red X.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

We'll know soon. It does seem it's 50/50. Google Red x malt and attenuation and it's full of both camps.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I've only used Red X malt once, in a 5 gallon partial mash, so I really can't compare my results to doing an all grain version. I do know that for each 0.5F change in mash temperature, above or below 153.5F, the Apparent Attenuation % changes by 0.625%. What that boils down to is a 0.001 point change in final gravity. Where a mash at 153.5F has an AA% of 25%, a mash at 152.5F an AA% of 23.75% and a mash at 154.5 an AA% of 26.5%. The higher the AA% the more fermentable the wort and the lower the AA% the less fermentable the wort.

Of course the story doesn't quite end there either, since the Apparent Attenuation % of the yeast also influences final gravity. A large pitch of healthy yeast in well oxygenated wort might produce 85% attenuation, where a not so good pitch of the same yeast might only yield 70% attenuation.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'