Cryo Hops

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Cryo Hops

Post by Beer-lord »

Anyone try these yet? They are more expensive but you don't use as much and you don't lose wort to hop sludge. Everything I've read/heard says for sure, these should be mostly used in late additions at roughly half the amount of pellet hops.
I think I'll get some while there's a 10% of Labor Day sale at Farmhouse (use code Laborday_2017 ) and give them a try soon. Just curious what the Borg thinks.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Cryo Hops

Post by Crazy Climber »

Haven't used any yet, but I just bought a few 1 oz packages with my latest online order from Atlantic Brew Supply. 1 each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe. Should be arriving tomorrow.

I have no specific plans for them, but will incorporate them into some upcoming recipes, most likely as whirlpool or dry hop additions. I'll report back when I have something to report!
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've only had these in one commercial (local, though) beer that I know of. I didn't care for the beer but it could have very well been the combination of hops, the strength, etc. so I'm not in a position to comment.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Timing is everything, I just saw this article:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... &_zl=IW724
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I was going to post that link tonite. Still not sure this will make my beer any better or different but I plan to try the Mosaic in a future beer but I'd love to have been able to get some Citra and Simcoe. Whoever has this seems to sell out quickly.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black