Cocoa Nibs

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Cocoa Nibs

Post by MadBrewer »

After a quick search I see them mentioned a few times but not much info on amounts used or method of using them aside from "dry nibbing". I'm brewing up an Oatmeal Stout that I plan on adding some cocoa nibs to. In the past I have only used cocoa powder at the end of the boil. It gives great results, but a different chocolate character. I don't think I want to add cocoa nibs to the boil, even at the end because of the bitterness they can add. I'm basically torn between adding them at flameout or adding them later after primary fermentation before I keg. I have a bag of 4 oz. Maybe I should add the to a sac and let them soak after primary fermentation until I get the flavor I want?
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Re: Cocoa Nibs

Post by Beer-lord »

I've not used cocao nibs but read that many add them to the secondary or late in the primary after soaking them in vodka. They say the flavor is mellower but more liked that way. I would think adding them during or shortly after the boil will only bring out more bitterness.
I've also read recently that someone suggested cocoa extract but I know nothing about that.
I'd try what you suggest, leaving them sit for a few days and tasting the as you go.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Thank you, after some reading I came across the method of soaking them in vodka as well but I don't don't really want to go that route. I have some muslin sacs so I think I will be adding them after primary fermentation.

I did think about adding just a bit of cocoa to the end of the boil, but that's not the chocolate character I was looking to add. Adding the cocoa to the boil brings on a hot cocoa, almost tootsie roll chocolate character. Thinking back, I think I remember adding some nibs to a Southern Brown Ale, pretty sure I just added them to the keg actually.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I used this article as a starting point for using cacao nibs.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Good read, thanks Professor.