Clogged With Hops

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Clogged With Hops

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

It finally happened to me, hops clogged the pickup tube in one of the kegs. I soaked 4 ounces of hops, put inside a hop bag weighed down with some stainless steel hardware to keep them submerged. They sat for 2 weeks inside the refrigerator, carbonating and conditioning. Last night when I tapped the keg and tried to pour a glass for my enjoyment, the beer wouldn't pour.

After taking the dip tube out and cleaning it 3 times, the beer seems to be flowing now, although it had some hop debris floating in the glass. Has anyone figured out a good way to prevent this from happening? I already cut a half inch off the pick up tube to raise it off the bottom trub, but apparently it still couldn't handle that many hops.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: Clogged With Hops

Post by Beer-lord »

I just had that same problem with my NEIPA. I haven't cut the tube and just pull it out and hope I keep things clean enough not to be a problem. And, I used a screen for most of the hops in the fermenter but there were just too much.
The hops get almost gluey when they clog the bottom and I've tried blowing CO2 thru it with no luck.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:I just had that same problem with my NEIPA. I haven't cut the tube and just pull it out and hope I keep things clean enough not to be a problem. And, I used a screen for most of the hops in the fermenter but there were just too much.
The hops get almost gluey when they clog the bottom and I've tried blowing CO2 thru it with no luck.
I also tried blasting them out with Co2, but had to unscrew the post and remove the tube and poppit to keep it unclogged. The first keg used the same bag type and hop amount but didn't clog up. I think from just sitting cold waiting its turn to be tapped the goo was able to compact more in the second keg.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

We're there hops in the tube clogging it or could the hop bag have been sucked up into the tube?
I've not had this happen, but I only keg hopped twice with a REALLY FINE weave hop sack before getting a SS Hop tube.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Inkleg wrote:before getting a SS Hop tube.
And they even make a keg lid with a tab welded on so you can hang the SS hop tube from.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've kegged hopped a few times and the only time I had a clogged line was when I (stupidly) went commando.

That time I had to siphon the beer to a new keg because there was so much trub/hop debris.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Inkleg wrote:We're there hops in the tube clogging it or could the hop bag have been sucked up into the tube?
I've not had this happen, but I only keg hopped twice with a REALLY FINE weave hop sack before getting a SS Hop tube.
+1
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Inkleg wrote:We're there hops in the tube clogging it or could the hop bag have been sucked up into the tube?
The hop bag was weighted down but suspended about 6 inches from the keg bottom. The hop debris had a consistency of thick sand, and was sucked into the pickup tube where it clogged the ball lock poppet. After pouring about 4 beers, each having less floaties than the last, the beers are pouring clean and clear now.

BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Glad it worked itself out. I have had hop debris get caught on the poppet spring also, but never enough to completely kill the flow of the great beer inside the keg.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

BlackDuck wrote:Glad it worked itself out. I have had hop debris get caught on the poppet spring also, but never enough to completely kill the flow of the great beer inside the keg.
Thank you. I agree, the extra work involved, clearing hops from the pickup tube is well worth the effort. I will be repeating the same process with another 10 gallons of the same beer in 2 weeks.

Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Now that it is running clearer you might want to do a keg to keg transfer.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Now that it is running clearer you might want to do a keg to keg transfer.
Good point Steve, thank you. I have already started keg to growler and glass transfers....but I may do that for the next batch in a few weeks.

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:I have already started keg to growler and glass transfers....
Hehehehe........ :clink:
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I was glad to hear that the subject line referred to your keg and not you personally. :)
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

The_Professor wrote:I was glad to hear that the subject line referred to your keg and not you personally. :)
Haha, good one[emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk