Oxygen purging gadget for bottling DIY

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Oxygen purging gadget for bottling DIY

Post by Banjo-guy »

I have built a very inexpensive and easy to build gadget that will purge oxygen from bottles prior to filling with beer. I was inspired to build this gadget after purging my kegs prior to racking. In this method I fill up the keg with Starsan and push it out with Co2. This leaves the keg filled with Co2 and almost oxygen free.

For bottle purging use the same concept but fill beer bottles with Starsan and push out the Starsan leaving Co2 in the bottle. I then fill the bottle using the " I don't need no stinking beer gun method " I mainly do this for beers that I plan to send to competitions.
The parts are minimal and are probably are in most brewer’s supplies already. This gadget assumes that you have a at least a dual regulator keg system and a diy "I don't need know stinking beer gun" You will need picnic tap to fill the bottles with beer.
Remove the poppets from the gas disconnect. A stopper attached to a tube will be pushed into the gas ball lock.
The parts are listed. I am sure that different tubes and tubing sizes could be used. This is what worked for me.

1. 3/8th inner dimension tubing cut to length that you need to drain Starsan. Use whatever length works in you setup.

2 .5/16 inner dimension tubing cut to length that you need for Co2 line connection got gas line ball lock disconnect.
3. Two stoppers. I think they are both #2
4.Basketball inflation needle to insert in one of the stoppers which will be drilled. This is where the Co2 will be pushed into the bottle.
4.Tube from bottling wand.

The stopper that is inserted into the ball lock disconnect has to fit tightly so that gas will not escape.
You should remove the poppets from the gas disconnect.

Overview

Drilled stopper with Starsan drain tube and inflation needle.

Stopper in gas disconnect with the

To use this you insert the drilled stopper with the inflation needle into a bottle that is 100% filled with Starsan.
The tube that Is attached to the needle runs to the stopper that pushed into the ball lock.Set the pressure at 1-2 psi and open up the gas and the Starsan will be pushed out by CO2. This will leave the bottle filled with Co2. After this proceed to bottle in the usual manner.

https://youtu.be/9wV95U7vpoU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Banjo-guy on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Oxygen purging gadget for bottling DIY

Post by John Sand »

Very cool.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That's really neat. Thanks for posting.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Very nice.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That's slick. I love seeing the stuff that brewers come up with.