Refil Questions

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Refil Questions

Post by RickBeer »

1 cup of water per 2.5 gallons, dissolve sugar, boil 2 mins. Then COOL by putting covered pot in ice bath or let sit off hot burner while prepping bottles.

Use hose from spigot into bottling bucket. Do not aerate the beer. Gentle stir after every 8 bottles or so.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

When I bottled, I didn't bother cooling the sugar water. I figured the amount of hit sugar water was overwhelmed by the beer. I never had a problem with carbonation.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

bpgreen wrote:When I bottled, I didn't bother cooling the sugar water. I figured the amount of hit sugar water was overwhelmed by the beer. I never had a problem with carbonation.
Yep, so long as whatever you are using for a bottling bucket can handle it.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The_Professor wrote:
bpgreen wrote:When I bottled, I didn't bother cooling the sugar water. I figured the amount of hit sugar water was overwhelmed by the beer. I never had a problem with carbonation.
Yep, so long as whatever you are using for a bottling bucket can handle it.
Good point.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

When I was using the LBKs for batch priming I wouldn't cool the sugar water either, just pour it in after about half of my beer was racked in. The cooler beer handled the temp and I didn't have to worry about the boiling hot sugar water warping the plastic.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

batch priming is a beautiful thing. at least you know everything is going to be over/under/perfectly carbed the same way! for the "bottling bucket" I would suggest the following options if you are looking to be frugal about it:
1) get a mr beer kit (or at least the little brown keg by itself) from craigslist. in my area you can get a brand new keg with a refill recipe can for $20 routinely. or you can get one for $10 from mr beer website, but shipping is like $8, so unless you wanted to load up on stuff to make shipping worth it...check CL first!
2) ***POTENTIALLY BEST OPTION*** or you could CHECK THIS LINK OUT ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beer-Premium- ... W5VGY?th=1
I feel like it is a price mistake, so act quickly. for $32.89 (nice weird price!) you get the MB keg, bottling kit, and the amber ale recipe. there are a bunch of other recipes there, but this one came in at that price (others are north of $45)

so check it out. and if you want to skip the "bottling bucket" aspect, you can always do a simple fill from the spigot and now you have a 2nd fermentor :beer:
and I specifically did not include another demon, simply because the MB setup is a lot cheaper, especially if you did, in fact, want to use it solely for bottling.
Little Bastards Brewing Project - "evolution of an obsession"
Drinkin': Southern Sunset, Stupid Easy Cider, Dunkleweizen, Wedding IPA (congrats bro!)
kegged and waiting: Yella beer (Bavarian lager)
up next: another Hefe, Counselor Williams Brown Ale, a string of lagers
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

In one of my previous replies, I didn't push the bottling bucket aspect because you can still have good carbed beer by bottle priming and easy when you first start out, but batch priming is the way to go and it looks like you are already ahead of the game on doing your research so all the advice above ^^ is right on. :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
breez33

Post by breez33 »

You guys are great! Thanks for the help. So I used a hose to get the wort from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. I then used the spigot on the bottling bucket to get the beer into the plastic quart bottles. Should I have also used the hose from the bottling bucket to the bottles? Also, should I have had the lid on the bottling bucket on at any point?
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

you didn't use the lid?!?!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

you may as well ship all the bottles to me for proper disposal and start over from scratch.

but seriously, you don't NEED the hose (or a true bottle wand), but they do cut down on agitation once the beer splashes into the bottles. in my experience, didn't matter...but I do enjoy the ease of use the $3 mister beer wand affords me.

and in the future, keep the lid on for piece of mind, but there is a 99% chance that you will have had zero contaminants enter your beer in the brief time is was "exposed"...so you should be a ok here. now keep those bottles nice and cozy between 70-80 degrees for 2 weeks and you will be golden
Drinkin': Southern Sunset, Stupid Easy Cider, Dunkleweizen, Wedding IPA (congrats bro!)
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

here is what I am talking about. most beer supply places have them for $3 or $4, but amazon has it for $5 but that includes the shipping
https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Loaded-Be ... B000E66A4U
breez33

Post by breez33 »

I did use a hose and a beer wand. I don't see how I could have used the lid because the only hole it it is a tine hole with a rubber thing around it (I presume for air) but the wand wouldn't fit into it???? So, I guess I don't understand how to use the lid...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

He's talking about just keeping the lid on the bucket to keep anything from falling into it. While racking the beer into it, you would just cover as much of the top as possible while having the hose feeding into the bucket - not through that hole, which is for an airlock.
One of the members here has wild yeast in his house that would jump at the chance for an open bucket to get to his wort - - but most people are ok.
breez33

Post by breez33 »

Thanks for the clarification!
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

thanks @Kealia that is exactly what I meant! I used to put saran wrap over the bucket opening and around the siphon...but realized I was over-thinking this a bit haha but I'll now keep the lid resting there for the bulk of transferring, and then get it out of the way when I need to tilt the bucket to get that last bit 'o beer out