Hello from Long Beach CA

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Red Beerd

Hello from Long Beach CA

Post by Red Beerd »

Hello everyone... Brand new member here. I just bottled my first batch of Black Rock Export Pilsener, fermented in the 6 gallon Brewdemon. I know I have a lot to learn so finding this forum is very exciting. I look forward to meeting you all and welcome any help or information you provide. Today I'm going to brew some Black Rock Pale Ale and going to experiment by adding lime zest and perhaps some juice also after boiling water.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Hello from Long Beach CA

Post by bpgreen »

Welcome!
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Thanks! Looking forward to being here. Just finished prep and fermentation started. I added the zest of 10 limes and 1/2 a cup of juice to the mix. Lets see what happens.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Welcome to the forum and the Borg obsession!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

That sounds great and welcome to the site!
I've been wanting to try some of the BlackRock 6G recipes. My youngest daughter just gave me a gift card from BrewDemon for my birthday this weekend, so I'm probably going to get their Black Rock American Pale Ale And The Black Rock Riwaka Pale Ale Recipes.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Cheers mate!
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

TonyKZ1 wrote:That sounds great and welcome to the site!
I've been wanting to try some of the BlackRock 6G recipes. My youngest daughter just gave me a gift card from BrewDemon for my birthday this weekend, so I'm probably going to get their Black Rock American Pale Ale And The Black Rock Riwaka Pale Ale Recipes.
Nice bike by the way. Is that you?
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Welcome! Glad you found us.
We will be happy to help with any brewing questions and help lead you further down the rabbit hole. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Inkleg wrote:Welcome! Glad you found us.
We will be happy to help with any brewing questions and help lead you further down the rabbit hole. :clink:
Thanks! I'd like to ultimately learn how to brew from simply using the correct ingredients, rather than cans from the website. Would like to know what I would need to purchase and equipment to buy etc. For now will experiment with the Brewdemon stuff. Looking forward to understanding more advanced brewing techniques though.....
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome Red!
Most of us started with a can of HME (Hopped Malt Extract) like BrewDemon or MrBeer. It's a great way to start. After you are comfortable with your process, you can use the same fermenter to brew extract, extract + grains, or all grain batches. There are many different systems, I use a modified BIAB (Brew In A Bag) which is really mashing in a bag to strain the grains. It's a pretty simple sytem. But I still make extract batches when I need to save time. Keep us up on your progress, and enjoy your beer.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

John Sand wrote:Welcome Red!
Most of us started with a can of HME (Hopped Malt Extract) like BrewDemon or MrBeer. It's a great way to start. After you are comfortable with your process, you can use the same fermenter to brew extract, extract + grains, or all grain batches. There are many different systems, I use a modified BIAB (Brew In A Bag) which is really mashing in a bag to strain the grains. It's a pretty simple sytem. But I still make extract batches when I need to save time. Keep us up on your progress, and enjoy your beer.
Thanks John. Where is the best place to read up on making the move from BrewDemon to more professional systems and how to do it etc?
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Well like a total moron I put 2 and 1/2 table spoons of sugar per 1 liter plastic bottle instead of 2 and 1/2 tea spoons in the Black Rock Export Pilsener. Is there anything I can do or is this batch throw away now?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Red Beerd wrote:Well like a total moron I put 2 and 1/2 table spoons of sugar per 1 liter plastic bottle instead of 2 and 1/2 tea spoons in the Black Rock Export Pilsener. Is there anything I can do or is this batch throw away now?
You've got two choices. You can periodically vent the bottles or just monitor them carefully and refrigerate as soon as they're firm.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

bpgreen wrote:
Red Beerd wrote:Well like a total moron I put 2 and 1/2 table spoons of sugar per 1 liter plastic bottle instead of 2 and 1/2 tea spoons in the Black Rock Export Pilsener. Is there anything I can do or is this batch throw away now?
You've got two choices. You can periodically vent the bottles or just monitor them carefully and refrigerate as soon as they're firm.
Ok I just vented them all and closed them back up. Will check them every day and repeat. How many times should I do this before refrigeration to avoid them going flat?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Red Beerd wrote:
bpgreen wrote:
Ok I just vented them all and closed them back up. Will check them every day and repeat. How many times should I do this before refrigeration to avoid them going flat?
As the bard wrote, "Aye, there's the rub. "

In other words, i don't know. You used 3x too much sugar for priming. As a guess, I think you'll need to vent every few days for a week. Maybe longer. I've never done this. If you vent too many times, it'll be flat. Too few and it'll be over carbonated.

Maybe somebody who has done this before (you're not the first) will chime in.

But don't throw it out. I've never thrown a batch out. I had a batch that I could only drink if I mixed about pine part of it with two parts of something else, but I didn't throw it out. I used it as a lesson to learn Grimm my mistresses (or learn from my mistakes before autocorrect kicked in, but I liked that one so I kept it).