Hello from Long Beach CA

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Hello from Long Beach CA

Post by Kealia »

Welcome. Sorry to hear about the priming sugar on this batch, but you've gotten good advice so far.

I was THIS close to being a "49er" back in my college days. But that is a LONG story......
:welcome:
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Ok, vent one more time...? Thoughts..?
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Welcome to the Borg!!! Looks like these guys got you covered!
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

It really is sort of a guessing game right now. If it were me, I'd vent a couple, but not all - just to make sure that if you over vent you don't do the whole batch.
if you do this, though - keep a close check on the other bottles and vent if necessary.

Sorry I can't be of more help - this is more art than science at this point.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Kealia wrote:It really is sort of a guessing game right now. If it were me, I'd vent a couple, but not all - just to make sure that if you over vent you don't do the whole batch.
if you do this, though - keep a close check on the other bottles and vent if necessary.

Sorry I can't be of more help - this is more art than science at this point.
I decided to vent again last night as the bottles were so firm. This morning they are firm again. I think now I'll leave them a couple of days and open one and taste. That was the 3rd venting since bottling....
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

When I was bottling I would line a cardboard beer box with a trash bag and put my carbing bottles in it and fold the top of the bag over the bottles. That way if one went off the mess was contained making clean up much easier. A cooler works well too.
Last edited by Inkleg on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Those PET bottles can take a lot of pressure before they burst. Once you decide to stop venting, watch the tootles closely. If they start to bulge, vent again.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

bpgreen wrote:Those PET bottles can take a lot of pressure before they burst. Once you decide to stop venting, watch the tootles closely. If they start to bulge, vent again.
Ok will do thank you. What is a tootle..?
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That would be a typo :D

Here's the other thing: If you put them in the fridge it doesn't *kill* the yeast, but it does put them to sleep so they stop carbing.
If you do that and taste it to find that it is too sweet, you can put them back at room temp to carb a bit more.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Kealia wrote:That would be a typo :D

Here's the other thing: If you put them in the fridge it doesn't *kill* the yeast, but it does put them to sleep so they stop carbing.
If you do that and taste it to find that it is too sweet, you can put them back at room temp to carb a bit more.
I might taste one tonight so see how it is....
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Red Beerd wrote:
bpgreen wrote:Those PET bottles can take a lot of pressure before they burst. Once you decide to stop venting, watch the tootles closely. If they start to bulge, vent again.
That started out as bottle, but somehow didn't end that way.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

bpgreen wrote:
Red Beerd wrote:
That started out as bottle, but somehow didn't end that way.
Haha. I wasn't sure if that's what it meant or some term for part of a bottle like the bottom etc! So many terms I'm learning from the forum right now I was confused.... Sorry I should have caught that.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Ok so lets say I want to use a priming solution to my second batch (which is in the fermentor now)... Do I just open the lid and carefully mix it in? Then leave it for 1/2 an hour before bottling? But if I take the top off the fermentor won't that risk contamination...? Please advise.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Everytime you do anything, open your fermenter, siphon to another secondary vessel (bottling bucket, secondary fermenter), you do risk contamination.

How high that risk is depends on how well you sanitize everything and also your environment.

IE in my environment, I take off the lid, I have a good chance of a Brett C. infection because it lives in my house, and it doesn't matter how well I sanitize things because it "falls in" from the air into any opening if the opening is opened long enough. The "good" news is I actually like Brett C. beer.

Still I try to avoid it mostly, so these days I tend to just bottle directly from the primary and prime my bottles with dominos dots instead of batch priming because it is the least problematic and fastest way for me to do it.

But most folks don't have as big of an issue as I do like that and normally as long as you are careful it's not a big issue.

As far as mixing it in if you are batch priming, what you describe is OK if your careful, but you might mix up the trub back into suspension and be bottling cloudy trubby beer, and if you are being too careful while stirring to try to avoid this, you might not get equal distribution of the solution (some bottles might still end up with more sugar then others).

The best way is to have a second bucket or fermenter with a spigot, put your priming solution into that bucket, and then siphon your beer into it. That will fully integrate the priming solution into the wort - it gets mixed in continuously while the siphoning is happening.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Well my fermentor is in the garage so I'm not sure how comfortable I am with popping the lid in that environment. I'll probably go with your sugar cube recommendation and bottle prime the current batch.