Hello from Long Beach CA

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Hello from Long Beach CA

Post by bpgreen »

Whamolagan wrote:
Red Beerd wrote:How do you guys like those Grolsch swing top bottles for bottling by the way? I'm currently drinking a few to for research purposes only ;)
They are the best, you never have to worry about bottle bombs. If they get too much pressure, they vent.
That's what's supposed to happen, but I remember a picture somebody posted a few years ago of a bottle with the neck blown off. It never happened to me, and I once had a batch that was badly over carbonated, but it's possible.

One thing to remember is that since the bottles are green, they need to be kept out of uv light. I didn't mind that with my beer, but I got tired of drinking light struck beer to get the bottles. I used to use Fischer bottles. They have swing tops and are brown. But they're harder to find.

Exited to fix typo.
Last edited by bpgreen on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I have a number of those still in my closet. I love them for their size and unique shape. I haven't used them in quite a while, though - just because I rarely bottle anymore and those that I do bottle, I tend to give away.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

A good source of bottles can be beer distributors. Here in NY, they are required to take back deposit bottles. A shed or back room may hold many cases. I already had a relationship with my local beer store when I started brewing. The manager let me take the bottles I wanted for the deposit, including many grolsch bottles.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Good to know John thank you.

For those of you that want to know.... I have now vented 5 times almost every day (the first week) since bottling. We are on what week 3? And i have left them alone for about a week. I cracked one to sample and it's really clear and the sweetness has fallen away. Tastes really good right now but I'm going to give it another week. I don't think they need anymore venting even though the plastic bottles I'm using are very hard. Still keeping them outside at room temp.

Loks like it's going to be good beer and I'd like to take the time to personally thank all of you that have helped me through the process. It's great to find a forum with so many supportive people. I also race cars and my forum for that is much more divisive! Any way I'll wait another week and show you how it turned out.

Also my second brew, which is a pale ale with lime juice and a bag of lime rind is now going into it's 3rd week in the Brewdemon fermentor. That's all thanks once again to you guys (my decision to do 3 and 4) and I'm excited to tell you all how that turns out.

Anyway I'd like to thank all of you for helping me out once again and I hope you will follow this thread to it's conclusion.

If I could buy or make you guys all a beer I would...

Cheers!

Red.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Red Beerd wrote: If I could buy or make you guys all a beer I would...

Cheers!

Red.
Glad things are looking better. I'm sure with time, you'll enjoy these.

But as for your semi-offer, I'm sure if you tried really hard.................... :muahaha: :party:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Glad it's working out. A world of beer awaits.
These guys help me too. My other pastime is sailing, and those forums are not as friendly as this one either. This is The Friendliest Forum on The Web!
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hurray! You made :guzzle:
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Yeah! Still aging the Pilsner mistake but not having to vent them any more Beer - Lord and Mashani. They taste pretty good. My second batch, the Pale Ale with lime juice and peel is about to be 3 weeks in the fermentor. It's all good right now!

John Sand... I used to race Lazers as a kid. I love a good sail.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Red, my boat is nearly as far from a laser as possible: a heavy cruising ketch (pictured<). If you are ever on Long Island, come for a sail.
Never mind, there it is.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

What kind of cars do you race?
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

I used to race Mazda MX-5's. (Miata). Fun little cars for sure.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Ok update for all of you... I bottled my second batch today after leaving it longer in the fermentor per all of your suggestions. In fact the pale ale with lime I made was in the fermentor for 4 weeks. It tasted really good flat (had a little sample)... Strong lime flavor gave way to a robust nutty finish. Beer looks very clear and is a reddish brown color. I bottled almost all of it in swing tops (thanks Grolsch) and have tucked it away in the dark and in boxes in case of explosion which was another suggestion of you guys. This time I batched primed in a bottling bucket. Again thanks to you lads!

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you that have helped me through my first couple of batches. I don't think I would have had the stones to batch prime without you and after doing it I have found it's really easy and actually speeds up the whole process. Here's to great beer hopefully!!!! And thank you again for all your awesome input.

Cheers!

RB
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

We are just paying it forward for all the help we've received along our own brewing journeys. We are glad we could help you out too.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

And we'll be expecting beers when we arrive in SoCal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Haha! There will be plenty!