50 beers from 50 States (The Clone Wars)

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

50 beers from 50 States (The Clone Wars)

Post by Beer-lord »

First, let me strongly suggest that anyone not a member of the AHA, should be. It's a great homebrewers organization and you can even get discounts at pubs and breweries. In the last 2 years, I've saved triple what I've paid for membership!
Here are the clone recipes from each state. Its a fun look at each state and see if you think your state is sharing their best beer.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... r-recipes/
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: 50 beers from 50 States (The Clone Wars)

Post by Inkleg »

I agree, membership price repays itself many times over!

This is pretty cool and gives me something to think about as I've already brewed clones (I refer to them as wanta bees) from different states. The Alaskan Brewery Smoked Porter is an AWESOME beer. There is a salmon smoking factory in Juneau and they let the brewery run their grain through their smoker using Alder. I've brewed Sue Smoked Porter from Yazoo and it's Great!
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I've never even heard of the one from West Virginia. A little Googling shows their grand opening is set for August 5th of this year. Who selected these brews?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I like Brooklyn Lager, but I think there are plenty of better beers from NY, even from NYC.
I haven't tried the Evolution Strong Ale from Maryland, but I have been at the brewery and love their beers.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I've had the Tangerine Hop Nosh and the original Hop Nosh, and I think they're both pretty good beers.

But I'm not sure I'd call them the best from Utah. There's a double IPA from Wasatch Brewing (Hop Rising) that I really like, and there are a number from Epic Brewing that I think are better (but I rarely buy because they're pricy).
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

Pudge wrote:I've never even heard of the one from West Virginia. A little Googling shows their grand opening is set for August 5th of this year. Who selected these brews?
Probably selected based on who paid AHA
Ive never heard of Big Beach Brewing Alabama
It has been a couple of years since we went to Gulf Shores
But I make a habit of trying all the Alabama breweries and didn't know there was one in Gulf Shores
AHA is ALL ABOUT money
And its the reason I wont join
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Well, I certainly won't try to change your mind on joining the AHA (I have no dog in the fight) but I don't see them as a money grabbing group. $35 for a membership which includes 6 magazines, discounts on beer, books and insurance for clubs and the lobbying they have done to help some states get homebrewing passed, seminars and competitions seems worth it to me. I don't know any organization that can run for free.

You may be right on how they chose the state beer but it's likely that more than one brewery is a member. Maybe some breweries wouldn't share their recipe so they were passed over.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

dbrowning, I can't agree with you that AHA is all about money. They represent our interests legally and politically, with more clout than individuals or even some kind of PAC could. They are the main reason why homebrewing laws are shifting in our favor, they're helping remove the stigmas and misunderstandings regarding homebrewing, and they're pretty much the only reason why homebrewing is now legal in all 50 states.

But if the fact that you suspect these breweries paid for this relatively meaningless promotion outweighs those things, by all means, continue to have your interests represented by them even though you're not supporting them.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rye-Guy IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Alpha King is not the best beer from Three Floyd's (Gumballhead, Zombie Dust, maybe even Dark Lord). Also, Paducah the best in KY is surprising, considering Against the Grain is doing some amazing stuff. I'd guess this one is a case of not allowing the recipes to be public, though. Or my Louisville bias, which is a thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

It's hard to argue with Pliny....