What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: What are you brewing/bottling?

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Saturday I brewed a Bastard Stepson Root Beer, a 5G Extract recipe from Northern Brewer. This turned out pretty good last time, and I'm just about out, so I've had a request to make another batch. Tastes good drinking by itself but even better when poured over ice cream to make a root beer float.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Got my boil going on with a pumpkin ale, before the ones that like a pumpkin beer and the ones that think it sounds gross, actually pretty good. Just a low IBU PA with spices. Using a hop spider for the pumpkin but commandold 1 oz Fuggle for bittering @ 60 - no other hops. Spice @ 2 min. But I will never try to mash pumpkin again. Can you think stuck sparge. Mashed 2 lbs baked pumpkin and boiling 2 lbs. now. Image
I have a lot of bisket in this and smells good boiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

My bike is broken, so I actually brewed stuff.

I made a 2.6 gallon Alt Bier with SafeAle K-97 yeast.

And I made 5 gallons of English Brown ale with Nottingham (because that's the only English yeast I had). It's going to ferment in the mid-upper 60s, s so it will have more character then Notty fermented cold.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

You would think that the boat being out of the water :( would give me more time to brew.
But it just means that I can work on the boat.
I have ten gallons to keg, it will be alright. (Don't be afraid)
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I brewed another one of the Palmer's Recipes, a Northern English Brown, a 5G Extract w/ mashing grains recipe.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I finally finished off all those cans of Brew Demon that I bought at a deep discount because they were at or past their best by date.

Today, I brewed a Beer, Simply Beer IPA that has been sitting in my freezer since I bought it in one of their sales quite a while ago.

I decided to do a partial mash to add a little more ABV and a little fresher flavor. The kit was all extract (no steeping grains, even). I probably should have added some C60, but too late now. I used 1.5 lbs 2 row and 1.5 lbs raw wheat in the mash. You're probably wondering why I used the raw wheat. The reason is simple: I get big buckets of locally grown raw wheat at Costco for something like 30c/lb, so it's just a cheap fermentable that I can add (I also use it in cooking). As long as I keep the quantity relatively low, the beer turns out fine (1.5 lbs is about my max for a 5 gallon batch). And when I finish the bucket, it's the perfect size for a new 5 gallon fermenter.

I probably should have done martial mashes with more of those BD cans. I was getting poor attenuation due to the age of the extract, and I could taste that it wasn't fresh. I could have helped the attenuation by mashing longer at a lower temperature, and it likely would have helped make it taste a little fresher.

I'll be kegging the last of the BD batches next week. If I have time, I'll probably brew something up the following week, as well. Maybe a stout. Haven't brewed one in a while.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Bottled Pumpkin Ale today, a little late for Halloween but will be ready for Thanksgiving. 1.060 OG and 1.008 FG. Not much Hop presence but real good spice, what I was looking for on this, low IBU on this too but a lot of bisket. I thing it is going to be good for what it is.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Sounds good.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:My bike is broken, so I actually brewed stuff.

I made a 2.6 gallon Alt Bier with SafeAle K-97 yeast.

And I made 5 gallons of English Brown ale with Nottingham (because that's the only English yeast I had). It's going to ferment in the mid-upper 60s, s so it will have more character then Notty fermented cold.
I bottled all that. Now I have 3 empty fermenters and not sure when I'm gonna brew again yet since my bike is no longer broken and it's still cross season, and I'm digging that too much. Maybe on a weekday "recovery" day if nothing else happens that I have to deal with.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Had time to brew, so I made a 3 gallon "English IPA" or "ESB on Crack" whichever you prefer (just pale malt and a medium English crystal) but with American levels of Strata hops, all late addition.

The hops were 12.5% AA, I did an @10, @5 (1oz each) and then 2oz more @flameout, and did a 30 minute lid on hopstand with all the hops still in there.

By reckoning based on my normal results from this, that should end up well over 100+ IBUs (theoretical) as in so many that it stops mattering.

OG was 1.064 which was a bit lower then I intended, so for the yeast I decided to use Lallamand London ESB instead of Notty, because it will leave a bit more residual sweetness behind that should help counteract the bitterness a little bit and "balance" the beer more. The medium crystal I used really isn't very sweet/caramel, it's more "malty" then anything.

Based on my experience with using that yeast in my East Coast style IPAs, it does let the hops shine.

The Strata hops, I've never used, so I wanted to just see what they are like on their own. I can tell you that my house smells like someone was eating grapefruit and smoking a joint and my kids are bitching about the smell. So that's a good sign.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

This weekend I'm dialing up either Fresh Squeezed or a re-brew of one my pale ales. Too many IPAs and IIPAs lately so I need to get a few easy drinkers brewed.

(I think Beer-lord just feinted....)
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm doing the opposite. Been doing lots of pales so this week its a IIPA then a Black IPA.
Been thinking about redoing Fresh Squeezed soon myself.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

The Cashmere white DIPA finally in bottles as of Sunday...Image

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Got 2 beers brewed over 3 days this vacation week. I'm set for a bit now and likely won't brew until after Thanksgiving (though that can always change). Might do a milk stout in December but I have time to decide.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I just tapped my milk stout last weekend. Delicious! Today, I'm rebrewing a black IPA I haven't done in two years. It's a bit crisp out this morning, but it's clear and should be a fine day to brew!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk