What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling?

Post by mashani »

Last time I ordered from MoreBeer, I discovered that Briess now sells 100% Vienna malt DME. So I bought a couple of bags to play with when I felt lazy.

So today, I felt slightly lazy, but wanted to brew, so I decided to try John Sands boil while you do a short mash trick. So I did a short duration 30 minute partial mash of 4oz of Honey Malt, 4oz of Aromatic malt, and 1# of Belgian Pale malt in a little pot, bag free (commando grains). Meanwhile, I took a 3# bag of that Vienna malt DME and brought it to a boil with 1/2oz of EKG. Once the mash was done, I chucked it into the boil by pouring it through a fine mesh colander, then dumped the grains back into my little pot and added some 170 degree water and stirred it up and then dumped that back in and repeated this a couple of times until I got my boil volume where I wanted it (that was my "sparge") and then boiled for another 30 minutes once it got back to a boil.

I also left my AC running and left the lid off the pot while I chilled. So that should give me some Brett C if I'm "lucky".

And then I pitched some Bella Saison into it.

So either I made an Amber Bier de Garde, or I made a Bier de Mars, depending on if it gets Brett or not.

Either way I'll be ok with it.

Ended up with almost 3 gallons of wort, and my OG was 1.06 on the nose.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I just kegged a nice Kolsch and a Pale Ale/Hoppy Wheat kind of thing. Looking forward to them. I havent brewed a lot of hoppy beers that I have been impressed with but I think this one is going to be tasty based on early quality control samples.
Brew Strong My Friends...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Mashani, I'm glad you got your gravity. I am interested in your opinion of this method, including final results.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

John Sand wrote:Mashani, I'm glad you got your gravity. I am interested in your opinion of this method, including final results.
It was easy enough to do with the little PM that I did. Assuming it works out, I might continue to use this technique for any kind of small PM where for whatever reason I don't want to mash a bunch and freeze the rest for later use like I often do, and where I'm actually going to do a full duration boil.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks.
I just ordered some more extract kits to help me make ten gallon half mashes. I still have a corona mill. I don't mind hand grinding 10 or 12#, 22-25 could be tiring.
Never mind, there it is.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Just put a batch of Ranger IPA clone in the bucket...
had to no chill it overnight because I couldnt get it below 80 yesterday afternoon!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I took a basic short boil patersbier recipe (as in enough pilsner lme to obtain 1.047 or so), added a steep of some carapils, and then instead of using a normal Belgian like hop, I threw 1oz of Centennial in @5, and and 1oz of Citra in @flameout and did a 40 minute lid on hopstand. Used Abbaye yeast. This was for 2.5 gallons.

So basically it is a nothing but late/hopstand Belgian Session IPA.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I brewed a Raison D' Saison 5G Extract w/ steeping grains recipe from AIH. It's one of the Palmer recipes.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed a 2.5 gallon table strength saison with the rest of my mashed and frozen "Single Karmelite Juice", some coriander and grains of paradise and 2.5# of MoreBeer Extra Light, and just a little bit of one of the neutral bittering SA hops and Bella Saison.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Bottled a hef, just got done now and everything is cleaned up for next time, it's been a long day. it was way over do, but in the bottle now and the last summer beer to brew.....I didn't start until late after dark.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled what turned out to be a Bier de Garde. No brett got into it somehow, or if it did, the Bella just demolished it... so not a Bier de Mars.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Is it more like a Bruno Mars?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:Is it more like a Bruno Mars?
If he is kind of malty, a bit spicy, and has hints of citrusy/tart, and doesn't properly embrace the funk... then sure.

I bottled both the Belgian Session IPA, and the Table Saison. Both of those developed funky pellicles, so they both have my Brett C. They taste good though. As long as you like a bit of pinapple and hay.

Why the one I left open for a while didn't get my Brett and the ones I tried to not get Brett in got it, I don't know... probably because of Bruno Mars getting dropped by Motown because he didn't properly embrace the funk?

Or just maybe because I've been pretty lucky with Brett this summer, so maybe it really only just woke up in enough quantity to do damage.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the Patersbier I made with one of the SA hops that described itself as somewhat tropical.

I have nothing brewing at the moment, I have 3 open fermenters.

I'm hoping to fix that soon.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

You are still okay. I have three full fermenters, but only one tap that is just now drinkable. I actually bought beer today. :o
It isn't always a bad thing- it reminds me how much cheaper it is too make my own.
Never mind, there it is.