What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: What are you brewing/bottling?

Post by dbrowning »

TonyKZ1 wrote:Today I brewed a NB Caribou Slobber Brown Ale 1G Extract w/steeping grains recipe. A clone of Big Sky Moose Drool. I apparently didn't read the recipe close enough and added the 15 min Willamette hops at 30 min instead, well they did say 30 mins later. Ah well, I had some East Kent Goldings on hand so I added 3g (yeah I know a very small amount) of those hops at the 15 min mark. One thing I do like about the 1G brewing is how quickly it comes to a boil and cools down, of course it's a lot less wort to boil and cool.

Not all t hat crazy about Brown Ales in general.
But this is the ONLY kit Ive ever ordered twice.
Both times bought it on sale I think for $20 / 5gal
Everyone here liked it a lot, especially my daughter and I,
neither of us would normally choose a brown ale.
I intend to brew this again very soon

(Correction ... I did order their Dead Ringer IPA twice) Made some small changes and brewed as a Saison once
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:
Kealia wrote:
mashani wrote: The hops were described as having goose berry, blue berry, sweet fruit, cinnamon, chamomile, and lemon grass flavors.
Wow, that's quite the range of flavors, there. I've only had the SA hops in one of the Firestone Luponic Distortion beers but I really liked them. I can't say that I picked up all of those nuances, though. I wish I had a better pallette.
I bottled this, but I have no idea what I was tasting besides the fact that it was very dank and earthy with berries on top.

We will see what it tastes like once it carbs and conditions a bit.
<Kealia does carb dance to speed up the process>

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

What are you brewing/bottling?

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Here's what I bottled today, a 1G Pale Ale recipe called Zombie Dust. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I love that label Tony.
Brewing inside today due to cold weather. An mini mash version of Steve's Traveling Irish Red, with minor modifications.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Thanks, I appreciate it. Part of the reason for the design is that among other things, we raise dairy goats (feed and milk them also of course). And then my oldest Daughter designed a Beer Stein for me some Christmas's ago and called it Bailey's Billy Goat Brews. So the name kinda stuck.
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Mine is less exciting. That boat <- is named Wandering Star, so Wandering Star Ales. The same pic is on the label.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:So I brewed a quick 2.5 gallon batch of something. 3# of Vienna DME (MoreBeer sells it), boiled for 5 minutes, and then I tossed in 1oz of Mosiac and 1oz of South African Experimental Hop N169 @flameout and did a 40 minute lid on hop stand. N169 is described as "Kool-Aid, Juicy Fruit, mango, citrus, plums, dank, and pungent". I'll get plenty of IBUs since the hop stand started at boiling temps and I didn't actively cool until 40 minutes and my hops were 13% and 15%.
I bottled this. It smelled and tasted very strongly of mango, grapefruit, pineapple, and had something dank and resin like in the background. Not sure I am getting the kool aid or juicy fruit. Which is probably a good thing not a bad thing.

Oh and I brewed a 4 gallon batch of Dopplebock on Saturday, I was going to split it half in my fridge with the temp controller in the low 50s and half at 57-58 degrees in my basement. But it's been so cold here my basement is actually at 54 degrees, so I just am leaving it go that way and I'll mess with the fridge when it warms up a little bit. It was a PM due to grain volume if I tried to do it without, so it was a mash of 1# Pale Malt, 2# Vienna malt, 3# Munich Malt, 1/2# CaraMunich, 1/8# of Carafa III, I took 1/4 of that mash and did a pseudo-decoction boil on the side while I boiled the main mash + 3# of Munich DME (MoreBeer) and 1oz of Hallertauer. 60 minute boil for the main mash, with the pseudo-decoction added in 30 minutes into the boil after it boiled down a bit. Split that between 2 fermenters and topped up to 4 gallons. OG was 1.076 after top-up. I used S-189 lager yeast. It will attenuate a bit more then something like Bohemian Lager strain, so it will be a little bit stronger and drier then if I had used that.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

John Sand wrote:Mine is less exciting. That boat <- is named Wandering Star, so Wandering Star Ales. The same pic is on the label.
:urock: That's great, ever since I was in the Navy, I've wanted to ride/work on a boat with sails like that. Sounds it'd be a lot of fun & work too probably.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I bottled the NB Caribou Slobber 1G recipe from above, I got 10 12oz bottles. I then brewed a BBS EveryDay IPA, a 1G all grain recipe taken from their "Beer Making Book", one of my favorite recipes from them. I substituted Chinook hops for both the Columbus bittering hops and the Cascade flavor & aroma hops. It seems like every time I bought that recipe from them, they had substituted Chinook hops for the Cascade and then I read that Columbus and Chinook are similar so I just used Chinook for both of them. It smells good.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

TonyKZ1 wrote:
John Sand wrote:Mine is less exciting. That boat <- is named Wandering Star, so Wandering Star Ales. The same pic is on the label.
:urock: That's great, ever since I was in the Navy, I've wanted to ride/work on a boat with sails like that. Sounds it'd be a lot of fun & work too probably.
Thanks. Come to Long Island, we'll go sailing.
Never mind, there it is.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Hello BORG! :borg:

Brewed for the first time in four months and did my first extract recipe in five years yesterday, a blonde ale...

Went extract so I could brew indoors since it was 8F here yesterday morning.
Didn't work out so well...ended up outside on the propane burner anyway, since my
stove couldn't get thre gallons of water above 160F in an hour. :(
Did a thirty minute boil, so I wasn't out long...hit all the numbers and now I've got
Super Bowl beer!
I also know that for what I paid for DME, I coulda done two five gallon AG batches of this beer :blink:
Thinking about calling this recipe Brass Monkey Blonde because of the weather! :p

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Blondi B extract
Brewer: JohnEC
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.75 gal Va Water 1 -
0.75 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - First Wort 30.0 min Hop 2 9.1 IBUs
6 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 100.0 %
0.75 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 7.1 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 4.3 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 6 3.2 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs
----------------------------

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Whatever it takes TT.
I brewed an indoor partial mash also due to weather. My modern glass top will boil 6+ gallons, but it gets there slower than the SP10.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Did a 5.5 gal of a Cascade SMaSH PA today (close added .5 of Carapils with 10 LB 2 row) It was not one of my best brew days. The mash went good, but the boil did not. Was using all home grown Cascade whole hops and didn't want to commando because of the mess so used a spider and sack, every time I added a hop addition the Mash&Boil quit boiling with error code and had to reset. A 1.052 beer, 1 oz @60, .5 @ 30, .5 @15 and .5 @5 min. It is in the fermenter now, pitched two 11.5 of us-05 @66 degs. and all is good. Things I learned, when they say don't use a hop spider on this unit they are right, If I want to use all home grown hops on a batch, I will go back to my Megapot and propane for the boil. Being all electric it has a sensor on the bottom and if it comes in contact with a hop sack it will shut down and did it multiple times today. On the plus side, it is the same beer I made when doing my hop experiments and was the one I liked the best out of the 4 hop variety tried.....All is good now.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by mashani »

I brewed a 3 Gallon "South African Session IPL".

Because I gotta use up these hops.

20 minute lid-on the pot hop stand addition, no hops at all in the boil. Will probably still be fooking bitter as hell.

3# of Vienna DME
4oz Carafoam, steeped
4oz Cara 8, steeped

1.048 OG

Hops were ("is what the pack says they supposedly taste like")

1oz of Southern Star ("passion fruit, quince, pear, cassis, rose petals, orange, coffee") 17%AA
1oz of U1/108 Experimental ("melon, tropical fruit, guava, butter scotch") 18%AA
1oz of N1/69 Experimental ("pineapple, citrus, melon, tropical fruit") 13%AA

Diamond Lager yeast
Last edited by mashani on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Kealia »

I gotta move closer to mashani.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk