What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I bottled a CraftaBrew 1G Oktoberfest recipe. Then I brewed a recipe from BrewCraftr.com, a 1.25G AG clone of Samuel Adam's Boston Lager, fermented as an Ale.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I Brewed a 1.25G AG Session IPA recipe from BrewCraftr.com. And while I was reading the recipe, I noticed the water amounts. Crap, after re-reading the Boston Lager clone recipe, apparently I didn't use enough water when I steeped the grains for the Boston Lager Clone. Ah well, it still turned out okay or I'll find out if it's drinkable when it's done fermenting, bottled and then carb'd/conditioned.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I bottled 5 gallons of a Cascade SMaSH PA yesterday, all home grown hops. Thinking of brewing a Lager tomorrow that has been in the planning stage for a while if the yeast starter is done by then. I don’t usually do this big of a starter and want to decant it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Finally got above freezing today, around 50, so I did my Bitter to tide me over the heart of busy season at school. Made my first 10 gallon batch, which I've had the capacity for, but never the desire. Using a Belgian yeast, wlp500, in the other 5 G to experiment how that goes. All in all, good to get the first brew of 2018 in the books!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Got to 73 today here and I had to take advantage and brew the MACC IPA again. I wish every day was 70 degrees!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled my partial mash/pseudo-decoction boil Dopplebock (I posted recipe above somewhere), came out at 1.018 FG and tasted absolutely fabulous/clean/lager like, can't tell that it's high ABV in any way right out of the fermenter. Obviously not a beer for hop heads though, IE if you think Ayinger is too malty/sweet then you would feel the same about this too. But it's really spot on to style and would make my German ancestors very happy.

I pitched a lot of yeast ~250 billion cells into each it fermenter (it was 4 gallon batch split between 2 fermenters). So like 500 billion cells if you counted it as a 4 gallon batch in a single fermenter. It fermented mostly between 55-56 degrees with a little rise to 57 right at the end as it's warmed up a bit here. So not too hot and not too cold.

I didn't even give it a d-rest, it didn't need it. It has been in my fermenters for 25 days though, so it's had plenty of time to clean up.

I guess I'll still laager most of it in the bottles (after it carbs up) since that's what your supposed to do.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I kegged a doctored "Beer, Simply Beer" IPA. I did a mini mash of 2 row, raw wheat, and c60. The OG was 1.072. I ended up with an FG of 1.010 (85% attenuation).

Yes, I know that Midwest and Northern Brewer are owned by ABinBev.

No, that doesn't mean I will never order from them again.

My LHBS is really good and I do most of my business with them.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed an American Lager yesterday pitched at 52 deg, and what it is at now.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

MrBandGuy wrote:Finally got above freezing today, around 50, so I did my Bitter to tide me over the heart of busy season at school. Made my first 10 gallon batch, which I've had the capacity for, but never the desire. Using a Belgian yeast, wlp500, in the other 5 G to experiment how that goes. All in all, good to get the first brew of 2018 in the books!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you'll have fun, and good results from your split. Keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed what is basically a 5 gallon PM Zombie Dust clone (with 4# of MoreBeer Extra Light to make up for the grain that I can't cram into my pot), except I NEIPA'd it. As in I replaced half of the the Munich and Crystal malts in the mash with oats. And I only have 7oz of Citra, so I used 1oz of Simcoe in it's place. Since I was lid on hop standing for 40 minutes @flameout, I took out the FW bittering addition and moved that to 15 minutes, so I basically ended up with 1oz of Citra @15, 1oz of Simcoe @10, 1oz of Citra @5, and 2oz of Citra @flameout. I will dry hop with another 3oz of Citra later, split into 2 additions, one of them during fermentation to do that "bioconversion" thingie.

So it should be awesome. At least as long as you don't think Citra = Cat Pee.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

A Bo Pils, while it's over freezing and not raining.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling?

Post by mashani »

previously on this channel John Sand wrote:Mashani, I'm glad you got your gravity. I am interested in your opinion of this method, including final results.
previously on this channel Mashani wrote: I decided to try John Sands boil while you do a short mash trick. So I did a short duration 30 minute partial mash of 4oz of Honey Malt, 4oz of Aromatic malt, and 1# of Belgian Pale malt in a little pot, bag free (commando grains). Meanwhile, I took a 3# bag of that Vienna malt DME and brought it to a boil with 1/2oz of EKG. Once the mash was done, I chucked it into the boil by pouring it through a fine mesh colander, then dumped the grains back into my little pot and added some 170 degree water and stirred it up and then dumped that back in and repeated this a couple of times until I got my boil volume where I wanted it (that was my "sparge") and then boiled for another 30 minutes once it got back to a boil. And then I pitched some Bella Saison into it.
John, I found a box with some of this stuff in it and a little note saying "Tell John what you think of this method and results".

So FWIW, this beer is absolutely delicious, if you like Leffe Blonde, you would like it, except for that it's Amber. But it has that same vibe. I have no idea how, because it was by no way meant to be anything like a clone of that from a "I built my recipe to clone leffe" perspective, I don't even know what a Leffe clone has in it, I've never tried to clone it. But it was fermented very cool (64ish degrees - on purpose) for Bella Saison as I wanted it to be more restrained - some people use lager yeast for Bier de Gardes. Bella does act very different at cool temps, IE it is less tart and fruity and a more like a "normal" Belgian strain if there is such a thing...

But this process for sure didn't hurt this beer. It might actually be the best beer I made last year. It's one of the best that's for sure, certainly the best Belgian one. So there ya go. I'll gladly do it again to save some time.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm glad it worked out for you. I've started writing an article describing it. I'll see if I can publish it, in print or online.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm hoping this weekend I can find time to re-brew my Nelmo Pale Ale (Nelson Sauvin/Mosaic).
The last batch went quickly and I just kicked a keg yesterday (ok, my Father-In-Law) did of my Simcoe/Amarillo 15-minute boil Pale Ale so I have a gaping hole in my pipeline.
I currently have about 2 G (estimated) of Fresh Squeezed left in my other keg and a decent supply of local offerings in the fridge - but the homebrew pipeline is weak right now...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the "South African Session IPL".

It tastes like bitter fruit salad. So that seems about right. Lots of hop bits didn't settle into the trub, the Diamond Lager yeast didn't suck them up like Nottingham would have. So I have hop bits in some of the bottles. Oh well.