What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by mashani »

I had time to mash stuff, and I have some grains that have been sitting around for a while, so I crushed them and made up some kind of wheat Session IPA that was 100% late hopped / lid on hop stand (because I like my session IPAs that way quite much).

So for 3 gallons it was:

2.5# White Wheat
2.5# Maris Otter
4oz Carapils
4oz Cara 8

Boiled that for 20 minutes total.

2oz of Nelson Sauvin @flameout (11.5%)
1oz of Equinot (used to be Equinox) Cryo Hops @flameout (23% AA)

Lid on 30 minute hopstand without active chilling. (I will get PLENTY of IBUs from this... probably too many, cryo hops are silly AA), then threw the pot into an ice bath with the lid still on until below 140, then chilled rest of the way with my chiller.

OG 1.049

Pitched a full pack of Nottingham

It will be very fruity and hopefully very quaffable. Because Zwift makes me sweat a lot.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I bottled a clone of SA Boston Lager 1.25G recipe, I brewed it as an ale. When I dry hopped earlier I apparently forgot to put the hops in a mesh bag and just dumped them in. So it was a pain as the bottling wand kept clogging, I still got several bottles filled though.

I also brewed a 5G Extract w/steeping grains clone of Black Butte Porter. We'll see how this turns out as I've never had the original just the empty bottles(?) as my brother really likes several of the Deschutes Brewery's beers and gives me the empty bottles. I'm planning on sharing a 6pk of this one and the Mirror Pond Pale Ale with him, as I'll be brewing that next weekend.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I brewed my Le Petite Saison at my LHBS today. OG of 1.036 so I'm hoping for a nice 4-4.5% table beer.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

Doing my first brew for 4 months. We did complete remodel of kitchen and had hardwood floors put it and significant painting. Glad to brew again. Doing a Rye IPA and using a new Fast Ferment Conical 3 gallon fermenter for the first time.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I'm gonna go keg the Fedorus Magnus Kölsch in a minute or two. On Wednesday, I'll be brewing a batch of 2Daves Irish Red. Just in time for St. Patrick's Day!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
FedoraDave's American Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Ladybug Lager -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch -- Moon Shot Double IPA -- 2Daves Irish Red Ale
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey Borgamoronis,just bottled my Mosiac SMaSH,and my Galaxy SMaSH. Both were tasty. I had used these hops before but only to bump up MRB HMEs,so I didn't get a real feel for their characteristics. Think I'm gonna like them. I've got 4 more batches to brew before the window closes on spring brewing.Want to do a Session Ale,Summer Ale,Pilsner,and a Blonde,all MRB HMEs Plus.Steep some grains,add some extra hops ,use different yeasts etc. If my calculations are correct,I should be sitting on 12 cases to break into summer(Memorial Day). After my last batch is in the fermenter,I'll drink store bought. cheers :lol:
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

TonyKZ1 wrote:I also brewed a 5G Extract w/steeping grains clone of Black Butte Porter. We'll see how this turns out as I've never had the original just the empty bottles(?) as my brother really likes several of the Deschutes Brewery's beers and gives me the empty bottles. I'm planning on sharing a 6pk of this one and the Mirror Pond Pale Ale with him, as I'll be brewing that next weekend.
I had to clean up an overflow on this last night, really not bad just replace the airlock and clean up the top and sides of the 6.5G bucket fermentor. But I've never had this happen before on a 5G recipe. Hmm, I wonder if adding the capsule of yeast nutrient as directed in the recipe had anything to do with it. :idea:
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

TonyKZ1 wrote:I had to clean up an overflow on this last night, really not bad just replace the airlock and clean up the top and sides of the 6.5G bucket fermentor. But I've never had this happen before on a 5G recipe. Hmm, I wonder if adding the capsule of yeast nutrient as directed in the recipe had anything to do with it. :idea:
[/quote]
Could have been a combination of different things, wort SG, yeast nutrient and the yeast used.
After I cleaned up a mess like that, one of my house rules became that every beer gets a blowoff tube until fermentation is on the down side.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

That sounds like a good idea, I always do that for the 1G recipes but I've always had enough head room with the 2G and 5G batches to not have a problem. At lease it didn't make a mess on the carpet, another reason I've got the fermenters sitting on a woven plastic 50lb feed bag.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I rebrewed my Nelson/Mosaic Pale Ale on Sunday. It's an easy drinker with good flavor without being overpowering. I again feel like I need to back off IPAs for a bit as they are the rage now and everybody is on board the Hazy Train.

So, my next brew is either going to be a wheat/hoppy pale ale or maybe I'll rebrew my IPL and let it lager until Spring.......hmmmm
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I bottled a Session IPA from BeerCraftr.com, nice size 1.25G. The hops I used were Amarillo Gold, it smelled very good bottling. I was able to get 13 bottles out of it, I was happy just to see 12 12 oz bottles but the 13th one made it even better, it might have just a little trub in it.

I brewed a AHS clone of the Deschutes Brewery Mirror Pond Ale, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe. Have to see how my brother likes this one as he's mentioned it a few times. But when he brings me a 6 pk of this, the bottles are empty for some reason? :beer:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled my NEIPA'd Partial Mash Zombie Dust cloneish (except for the NEIPA'd part) beer. It smelled and tasted wicked awesome. Unless you think Citra = cat pee. If you think that then I just bottled 5 gallons of very fresh cat pee.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:I bottled my NEIPA'd Partial Mash Zombie Dust cloneish (except for the NEIPA'd part) beer. It smelled and tasted wicked awesome. Unless you think Citra = cat pee. If you think that then I just bottled 5 gallons of very fresh cat pee.
I get cat pee from a lot of hops, but I've never gotten it from citra.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:I bottled my NEIPA'd Partial Mash Zombie Dust cloneish (except for the NEIPA'd part) beer. It smelled and tasted wicked awesome. Unless you think Citra = cat pee. If you think that then I just bottled 5 gallons of very fresh cat pee.
One of these days, expect me to knock on your door with a few empty growlers....
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:
One of these days, expect me to knock on your door with a few empty growlers....
Maybe this one will scare you away and save my beer LOL.

I made 6 gallons of pretty much straight up Bohemian Pilsner.

I started from RO water and adjusted it with just Calcium Chloride up to just 25ppm of Ca for the partial mash which was:

4.5# Pilsner
0.5# Munich
0.5# Acidulated Malt (because that RO water with just that addition has not so great PH for mashing, it *needed* this).
0.5# Carapils

I added 3# MoreBeer Pilsner LME with @10 left in the boil.

1/4oz of one of the 15% AA "noble like" SA hops I had left over @90
1 1/3oz 3%AA Czech Saaz @60
1 1/3oz 3%AA Czech Saaz @20
1 1/3oz 3%AA Czech Saaz @5
(4oz Saaz Total)

I had to top up with a bit more then a gallon of non RO water to make my 6 gallons, that was with my campden treated regular house water, which will add enough other minerals along with the extract to make the yeast happy, but in theory not so much as to make my water profile change the Bohemian Pils to a German Pils. (I can't make this much beer without some kind of top up with my setup).

3 packs of Mangrove Jack M84 Bohemian Lager.

OG 1.047, IBUs should be 36ish or something like that.