What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by berryman »

I did a yeast starter today, I know not like what you are brewing/bottling/kegging 0n this thread but water, DME, boil, cool down, pitch yeast and wait. Seems like brewing to me but on a small scale, makes beer, but not going to drink it until the next go-round after in the good beer......................... Wyeast 1214 smack-pac and 4 oz of exrta light DME in 1 L starter.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey All, whipped up a pair of batches this morn. A Summertime Ale(Lemony Wheat ale) and a 4.3% Session Ale. Should make for nice "drinkin" in the Summer months. Cheers :)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed a Fat Tire clone today, one that I have done multiple times.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Brewed a Stars and Stripes American IPA, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Jaspers Homebrewing.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Today's brew is an IPL using Pilsner LME from MoreBeer + a small charge of Magnum as it comes to a boil.
The only other additions are Simcoe + Amarillo for a 30-minute hopstand (ok there MAY be about 1/4oz of Nelson Sauvin added because I came up short on Simcoe....).

I've brewed this a number of times and it's tasty, easy and stays "hop stable" for months without losing it's punch.
I could see mashani and I sitting around killing this baby off.....not that I dream of mashani, mind you.......I don't know what you've heard......

This is just something that would be right up his alley. I'll have to play around with this one next time without the Magnum charge to see how it is because that could make this a REALLY quick brew day if I did.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:Today's brew is an IPL using Pilsner LME from MoreBeer + a small charge of Magnum as it comes to a boil.
The only other additions are Simcoe + Amarillo for a 30-minute hopstand (ok there MAY be about 1/4oz of Nelson Sauvin added because I came up short on Simcoe....).

I've brewed this a number of times and it's tasty, easy and stays "hop stable" for months without losing it's punch.
I could see mashani and I sitting around killing this baby off.....not that I dream of mashani, mind you.......I don't know what you've heard......

This is just something that would be right up his alley. I'll have to play around with this one next time without the Magnum charge to see how it is because that could make this a REALLY quick brew day if I did.
Yep, I would like that. All my late addition @flameout/lid on hopstand brews stay "hop stable" for months too, which is why I tend to do that over dry hopping quite often (well that and the Brett, but this is a case where trying to avoid the Brett taught me a new trick that I use for other reasons now).

*If* you start your hopstand @flameout instead of cooling first, and you lid on, and then after 20-30 minutes throw the pot in some ice water to cool it down to about 150-140 before taking the lid off then you can probably forgo the magnum. I have done many beers with nothing but @flameout with a large amount of high AA hops like that, and gotten plenty of bitterness doing that, and also that stable flavor/aroma. Consider it 10 minutes of full utilization, and the rest however you would normally consider a hopstand with your equipment (partial utilization of some sort). It will come out pretty much like that, so if you use a lot of hops you still get plenty of bitter.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kealia, That sounds interesting and simple. What size batch and OG on this?
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

@berryman

This is a 5G batch with an OG of 1.058. Here's what the recipe looks like:

Recipe: IPL - 2018
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 95.7 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.15 oz Magnum [11.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 1 46.7 IBUs
4 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 2 41.0 %
5 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil for 10 min](3.5 SRM Extract 3 59.0 %
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 4 -
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 5 -
2.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 6 34.1 IBUs
1.40 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 7 15.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Pilsner Lager (White Labs #WLP800) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -
0.75 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

As mashani noted, you may be able to reduce the boil time to just 10 minutes if you switch the "First Wort" hops to a 10-minute hop stand at flameout (I just haven't tested that yet).
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

95 IBU's? I'm in!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote: As mashani noted, you may be able to reduce the boil time to just 10 minutes if you switch the "First Wort" hops to a 10-minute hop stand at flameout (I just haven't tested that yet).
I would take the magnum out of the equation if I did this and instead replace it with a hop I wanted to get flavor and aroma from. Because you will get flavor and aroma from it, and I don't know that you want that from the Magnum. IE more Simcoe or Amarillo or whatever it was I was using (Citra, Nelson, Mosiac)... Pretty much anything that is high in AA will work as long as it has flavor/aroma you want.

Or maybe it's not even needed. Because...

I also would probably be throwing *all* the hops you are calling whirlpool in at that point, and putting the lid on the pot to keep the aroma/flavor from blowing off. As in I have a *hella lot* of high AA hops going in at that point. I'm not relying on cooling it to 160 for the whirlpool to do this, I'm relying on the lid on the pot and the subsequent cooling down below 160 before the lid comes off to do it. (like perfume distillation except the perfume is stuck in the pot so it "distills" back into the wort as it cools).

Basically take your brewing software and figure out how many 10-13% AA hops you need in at ~10 to ~15 minutes of duration to get the IBUs you want. Make sure that much goes in @flameout. And put a lid on it. And don't actively start to cool it down for at least 20 minutes. A 5 gallon batch is probably closer to the ~15 or maybe even more if you really have 5 gallons of wort (I don't, I have to top up with a gallon), where a 3 gallon batch is probably closer to the ~10, because of different thermal mass (how much it will cool on it's own). You can play around with those numbers until you find what works for your equipment.

That's how I do it. I get plenty of bittering, and it remains pretty stable. And plenty of flavor/aroma which also stays pretty stable. Everything is of course more intense at 2 weeks then at 4 weeks, but after that it pretty much "is what it is" and it usually is something I like quite much.

Note that I do also typically throw all my hops in commando and they all do end up in my fermenters. Because there is plenty of stuff left in the hops after the whirlpool (taste them if you put them in a sack and pull the sack, you will see), so ending up in the fermenting wort gives you something extra as more flavor/aroma compounds come out during fermentation, and maybe make up for some of what is blown out the airlock. I firmly believe that I do get more out of them then if they were in sacks that I pulled.

I only consider this a problem if I'm using hops that I know throw off a weird flavor if I do this. IE you might get some more grassy from a grassy hop, so if that would bug you then maybe those should go in a sack.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I saved this recipe and would Pretty much try as is and sounds good to me. I haven't done one like this with out at least a steep in a while and would be a good, fast and easy 5 gal to add to the pipeline. If I changed anything, it would just be one yeast and a starter. You haven't said unless I missed it what the fermenting temp. was at.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I used two packs/vials with a starter and pitched plenty of yeast since this is a lager.

I'm fermenting at 52 right now (because my LHBS was out of WLP800 so I'm using Wyeast 2007 Pilsner yeast).

Once I see the blowoff slowing down I'll bump to 54 for a few days then climb up to 64 for a D-rest (although I've never had any diacytel produced).

After that, I drop 5 degrees a day until I'm at about 35 where I'll hold for 3-4 days before kegging. I'll lager as I carbonate and drink it soon after - and for a long while after that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey Borgolucias, Brewed my last 2 batches until Fall today. Both 2.5 gal. A MrB Pilsner w/ 1# Plisen Dme and an oz. of Saaz hops. Also a MrB Canadian with 1# lite Dme and an oz. of Cascades. Used the Fromunda yeast in both. I noticed that the ambient temp had started to climb somewhat,so I'll ferment these batches out and drink storebought until Memorial Day Weekend, when consumption of my HomeBrews begins. Cheers. :cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled the Wheat IPA with Nelson Sauvin and Ekuanot Cryo Hops. (Ekuanot used to be Equinox but they changed the name).

Brewed a straight up Maibock.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I bottled the Black Butte Porter today and then brewed a Sons of Liberty Amber Ale, a clone of Sam Adams Boston Lager.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews