What are you drinking?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by RandyG »

Hey Borgaweiners, Just had 2 first pours tonight. First was a Cascade SMASH,which was really tasty and came in around 5.3% ABV,and the second one was a Pacific Jade SMASH.Now this one was completely weird,but in a good way. It was designed to be a session beer at 4.4% ABV.The nose was sort of flowery,which is okay but the taste I picked up was like lavender.It had a nice lite bitter end also,but the taste was the kinda neat thing.This will be a good drinker for warmer days. Anyone else use these hops and have that lavender taste? Cheers. :beer:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've only used Pacific Jade once in a pale ale and only 2 oz as a dry hop. It was mixed with other Australian and New Zealand hops so I really couldn't say I could tell which was which but it was good.
It's great you killed it on both brews. Good on ya!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Cool Springs Brewery tonight...

Franklin's First (kolsch), El Chapo (El Dorado & Mosaic APA), and Tennessee Black Hole (19%abv imperial stout aged for two years in bourbon barrels)

ImageImageImage
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

Drinking a Convoluted and Hazy IPA from Triton Brewery here in Indy. Nice New England Style IPA, while rooting for the Eagles!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Sierra Nevada "Hazy Little Thing".

It is not an East coast IPA. It is a West coast IPA in sheep's clothing (iE pretending to be an East coast IPA).

That doesn't mean it's bad, it's not... but it's dry, and piney and boozy, so the fruit doesn't pop like in the real thing because of it. Instead it makes the citrus kind of pithy.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:Sierra Nevada "Hazy Little Thing".

It is not an East coast IPA. It is a West coast IPA in sheep's clothing (iE pretending to be an East coast IPA).

That doesn't mean it's bad, it's not... but it's dry, and piney and boozy, so the fruit doesn't pop like in the real thing because of it. Instead it makes the citrus kind of pithy.
That's interesting. I had one the other day and didn't experience it the same way. I agree with your first points, but I found the pineapple to pop on mine, almost like a cider. It smelled to me like fresh pineapple juice and was super easy to drink and light. But yeah, it's not a NEIPA at all.

This is the best SN beer I've had in quite a long time, because it's actually different than the rest of what they put out. But I didn't get pith at all, just fresh pineapple. Just goes to show how varied tastes can be.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

4 Sons The Great One dipa
Bearded Iris Offbeat, a neipa with simcoe and citra

Both quite goodImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:
mashani wrote:Sierra Nevada "Hazy Little Thing".

That's interesting. I had one the other day and didn't experience it the same way. I agree with your first points, but I found the pineapple to pop on mine, almost like a cider. It smelled to me like fresh pineapple juice and was super easy to drink and light. But yeah, it's not a NEIPA at all.

This is the best SN beer I've had in quite a long time, because it's actually different than the rest of what they put out. But I didn't get pith at all, just fresh pineapple. Just goes to show how varied tastes can be.
Don't get me wrong... I like it better then any SN beer I've had lately too.

The pith vs. not it is probably because you are used to drinking IPAs along these lines, and I'm used to drinking more Midwest/East styles (a bit less dry) and my own lower ABV session style IPAs. So the extra dryness and bite from the alcohol stands out more to me then it does to you and gives me that perception. I do get a good bit of pineapple as what I am describing as the "juice" but I'm also getting that bitter citrus like stuff that I'm describing as pithy.

I think also, since most of the beer I make and drink is 5%ish, I tend to notice beers closer to 7% as being more "boozy" when others would still describe them as "smooth" because of it. That said, 7% isn't too much, IE I like Pliney, because although 7% it's smooth like a well brewed Belgian, but conversely I tend to really not like Stone (10%) IPAs very much at all, I just taste the alcohol and it annoys me so much that all the rest of the goodness in them is pushed to the background.

Anyways, I've got more, so I'm going to let it warm up a bit more tonight before I drink some. It might just be that I was drinking it too cold and it will opens up more when it warms up a bit.

But I personally think that tropical fruity IPAs taste better with a little bit more residual sweetness to make the fruit "pop" more like well... actual fruit.

But that's just my own tastes and it's in opposition with west coast IPA "theory" as such, so others who are more used to or prefer that style would likely disagree.

EDIT: Nope, even warmer it still tastes more piney and pithy then fruity to me. Although it smells more fruity/pinappley. It's just too dry I think for me to get the *fruity* impression. I guess I'm weird LOL.

I like it just fine, it's just not what I expected.

EDIT AGAIN: For my 3rd one I added a little splash of OJ.

Now it actually looks and tastes like an NEIPA. LOL.
Last edited by mashani on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Just trying to put a dent in my 4 kegs. Close to kicking one but tonite is an All Homebrew night!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

What are you drinking?

Post by berryman »

A cascade PA SMaSH with all home grown hops. I brewed this before on my hop experiment but used a boughten pellet hop for the base bitter. This taste really good and definitely cascade, but a little sweeter then I would have liked and what the numbers said.
It’s a little cloudy but young and only been in the fridge for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Cascades always makes me burp...........but a tasty good burp.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

A tester bottle of the German Dopplebock that I bottled... around 3 weeks ago I think. I threw this bottle in the fridge after 2 weeks of carbing, it's been "laagering" for the rest of the time. It came out of the fermenter very smooth, so I figured I'd push the envelope and see what happens.

And it's most excellent. Already. It will be the best Dopplebock I've ever made I think.

Brewers Friend pitch rate "Pro Brewer 2.0" for High Gravity Lagers, as in 500 Billion Cells for my 4 gallons of wort is a winner.

Do not doubt the big pitch rates. The work wonders in beers like this.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Back in the saddle... At OTBX in Huntsville celebrating a friend's birthday. Great little taproom and bottle shop that used to be the taproom for the defunct Olde Town brewery. Always fun to catch glimpses of home when away (Yazoo and Blackberry Farm bottle on the shelf). Had a local IPA (Salty Nut's Hopnaughty), as well as barrel aged Ten Fidy, Anderson Valley Thribble Currant wild ale, and Founders Solid Gold.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Decisions, decisions! Which one should I start with?

Old Nation Brewing M-43 & Boss Tweed NEIPAsImage

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

M-43 of course. Always drink left to right!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black