What are you drinking?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by mashani »

What hops are in the "dankelicious" beer?

I'm drinking more of my sour Leann Fraoch and wishing I had a whole case more of it. More age made this more good.

I guess I have to do it again, but good luck making it turn out the same since it was wild bugs...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:What hops are in the "dankelicious" beer?
Cascade, Mosiac, Belma, Hallertau Blanc and Simcoe. If I can borrow your expression, this is "fooking delicious".
As is the Dunae's World - I know you like Nelson Sauvin, as do I, and this has a massive NS presence.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Ashamed that I totally forgot about this beer I bottled in January. White ipa with the last generation of the Conan yeast slurry that the then Cool Springs Brewery brewmaster (and now Mantra owner/brewmaster) cut me in 2013 from his Conan ipa. Been growing it and reharvesting since then, but since I rarely brew these days, I thought it best to let it go. Feels every bit the 9%, and definitely that Conan character...Image

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

When your two favorite breweries collab on a beer, you run out to grab bottles when they hit the shelves... Bob Sylvester is my OG brewer hero/idol (along with Dany Prignon of Fantome), so super cool seeing Brandon doing a Yazoo collab with him. Citrus goodness, though Brandon says it's only 4 months old and will hit its stride after the bretts kick into full gear later in the year. I had to pop one immediately, but the others shall hit the "cellar"...

"Collaboration with Brandon Jones of Embrace The Funk and Yazoo Brewing in Nashville, TN. Based on an old homebrew recipe of Brandon's this Saison was brewed with TN Oats, 15lbs of various Heirlooms citrus and all Amarillo hops. Open fermented with Brandon's blend of Saison and wild yeasts."

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm drinking the Plum Saison. I used a different, much darker plum juice then I did last time that I got from my local grocery store in this. I'm going to run to the LAFS and get some of the kind I used last time and make another batch.

This is good, but I liked it the other way better it was lighter, brighter, and more tart.

Instead, the dark plum juice is giving this a serious vibe of the "warriors drink". Except with bubblegum and alcohol. And the South African hops I used taste a bit like like fuggles. So that too. But mostly like the below.

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Rusty Chain by the Flying Bison Brewing Company. I've been drinking it all weekend, a friend brought me down a case when he came down from Buffalo Friday to spend the weekend for our pigroast. Sadly this the last bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm drinking the last bottle of the plum saison mentioned above, which is now officially all gone.

The plum saison I just bottled is radically different then this, and I will like it more, but for a screw up this batch was actually quite tasty, as long as you agree with Worf about what constitutes a warriors drink.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I had this last night but unfortunately it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. It was "ok", but lacked the bright, juicy hop-forward profile I was expecting.

Too bad, it was a great name.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Conference life...ImageImageImage

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I am drinking tester bottle of the Raisin Dubbel (reduced gravity version of Raison D'être).

It is a perfectly good substitute for the "warrior juice" saison that I just finished off. Actually it's better. I like it a lot. It has a slight bit of noticeable peppery alcohol, but that will settle down in the next few weeks (this is a 3 weeks in the bottle dubbel we are talking about).

Somehow all the chopped up raisin bits that were floating around on top in my tester bottles (and all my other bottles but tester/trub bottles were worst) have all decided to sink to the bottom over the last week. I guess they gave their all now, and are simply husks of their former selves? So I actually got a clean pour without raisin chunks.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

What are you drinking?

Post by berryman »

A Fat tire clone, I've brewed this before extract with steep, partial BIAB and now all grain with my Mash&Boil and by far the best and closest to Fat Tire so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

It seems my cases of homebrew are getting empty. I only brew in the early year and the fall because of temp. problems. I got all of my partial cases and put them together and I have 76 bottles left,plus a case I'm keeping for the Holidays,so I guess you can say I'm enjoying the fruits of my endeavours. I have a bunch of B/D "past best" cans in the fridge,so I have the ingredients to restart in the fall. I hope that they are still good.I'll use good yeast when I brew them. How will I know if they have turned bad? I never used any extracts that had any age to them. I hope some of you brewers can answer that for me. TIA RandyG
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

RandyG wrote: I have a bunch of B/D "past best" cans in the fridge,so I have the ingredients to restart in the fall. I hope that they are still good.I'll use good yeast when I brew them. How will I know if they have turned bad? I never used any extracts that had any age to them. I hope some of you brewers can answer that for me. TIA RandyG
I would say you have no problem, they might come out a little darker but will still taste good and use some new fresh yeast too.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:
RandyG wrote: I have a bunch of B/D "past best" cans in the fridge,so I have the ingredients to restart in the fall. I hope that they are still good.I'll use good yeast when I brew them. How will I know if they have turned bad? I never used any extracts that had any age to them. I hope some of you brewers can answer that for me. TIA RandyG
I would say you have no problem, they might come out a little darker but will still taste good and use some new fresh yeast too.
They might turn out a little bit sweeter too as a side effect of the darkening (maillard reaction).

Two things you can do to counter this are to dilute the volume a bit more (IE instead of 2 gallons do it as 2.5 or instead of 2.5 do it as 3 or whatever your ratio is) and then add some dextrose to make up the gravity points lost. That will give you the same ABV, it will slightly lighten the beer, and it will counter a bit of the extra caramel character that you'd pick up from the maillard reaction.

And if you pitch a lot of fresh yeast then even better.

But don't worry about them being "bad" unless the cans are bulging and leaking. They will still work and still make beer.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Hurricane fundraiser at Yazoo (100% of proceeds to TX)... scored my first Fall Lager of the year AND bottles of the Yazoo ETF/Jackie O's collab. Sweet!Image

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking: