What are you drinking?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by BlackDuck »

That's awesome. Glad you all enjoyed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

This tasting was imperial stout heavy, and that was pointed out by one of the ladies in attendance. I said... have I got the beers for you. Side gose/Berliner tasting commence... ;)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

swenocha wrote:This tasting was imperial stout heavy, and that was pointed out by one of the ladies in attendance. I said... have I got the beers for you. Side gose/Berliner tasting commence... ;)

You know what girls like. (I'd like them better too LOL).

I am drinking the bitter I made with Lallemand London ESB, C75, C120, sugar, Perle and Goldings.

It tastes very English. Much more so then it would if I had used Notty or S-04. This stuff is not a flavorless yeast and the flavor it made is not "raw dough" like S-04 makes, but more of a nutty/stone fruit/mineral quality. Some of the fruit I'm getting is from the dark crystal, but not all of it. It is full bodied, but does not seem overly sweet like an under attenuated beer might otherwise. If you have had beers by Wytchwood, this has a similar vibe.

This seems to not have been brett infected, unlike the 2 batches of NE IPA I made using it. No pinapple, no hay, just very English.

But that seems to be a fair warning to give. This yeast does not eat all the malt sugars/leaves some behind, which is why it makes full bodied beer (and why I added sugar to all the batches to make sure it wasn't going to finish too sweet). So if you have anything else in there that will eat the sugars that can get a foothold, they will. So in my house from spring to fall and most especially summer, that means I'm probably going to have a good chance of getting a brett infection if I use it because no matter how much I sanitize things it matters not, the stuff floats in my air and fall into open things, so even if I don't get it while I'm pouring and pitching, if I dry hop, or what not, even more chances for it to get a foothold and then fun to be had by it.

So this attenuated about 72% and that was with 8oz of sugar that fermented out totally and a < 1.05 OG. Where the brett infected ones went 85% or so and they had higher OGs (1.065-1.067) and not any more sugar. Those beers had a much higher infection chance since I opened the fermenter 3x for each, and my house Brett doesn't' give a crap about hops / IBUs do not suppress it. My brett apparently happily eats everything this yeast does not, and then maybe a bit more stuff too since it gets a chance to get rip roaring on all the food it's got available.

I don't think I've ever gotten as much pineapple from it as I've gotten in those 2 NE IPAs. It usually doesn't have that much to eat since I tend to make Belgians/saisons in the summer with lots of sugar and high attenuating yeasts.

Luckily I like my brett pinapple, and it tasted great in those NE IPAs when I bottled them, which are tropical fruity anyways. But still...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Kolschbier and Maris Otter/Mosaic SMaSH on tap with a Belgian Witbier in the primaries. Oh boy my beer gun will be getting a real workout this weekend.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

The last of my Firestone Luponic #005. So good...

And this was last night, not this morning!Image
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

What's wrong with Friday morning drinking? We don't judge!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Death Sour with Raspberry.
Brew notes say this was the first beer brewed with the EBIAB system I built. It was brewed 2-13-14, racked to Raspberry on 11-9-14 and bottled 1-11-15.
This tastes as awesome as it is photo bombed!

Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

mashani wrote:I am drinking the bitter I made with Lallemand London ESB, C75, C120, sugar, Perle and Goldings.

It tastes very English. Much more so then it would if I had used Notty or S-04. This stuff is not a flavorless yeast and the flavor it made is not "raw dough" like S-04 makes, but more of a nutty/stone fruit/mineral quality. Some of the fruit I'm getting is from the dark crystal, but not all of it. It is full bodied, but does not seem overly sweet like an under attenuated beer might otherwise. If you have had beers by Wytchwood, this has a similar vibe.

This seems to not have been brett infected, unlike the 2 batches of NE IPA I made using it. No pinapple, no hay, just very English.

But that seems to be a fair warning to give. This yeast does not eat all the malt sugars/leaves some behind, which is why it makes full bodied beer (and why I added sugar to all the batches to make sure it wasn't going to finish too sweet). So if you have anything else in there that will eat the sugars that can get a foothold, they will. So in my house from spring to fall and most especially summer, that means I'm probably going to have a good chance of getting a brett infection if I use it because no matter how much I sanitize things it matters not, the stuff floats in my air and fall into open things, so even if I don't get it while I'm pouring and pitching, if I dry hop, or what not, even more chances for it to get a foothold and then fun to be had by it.

So this attenuated about 72% and that was with 8oz of sugar that fermented out totally and a < 1.05 OG. Where the brett infected ones went 85% or so and they had higher OGs (1.065-1.067) and not any more sugar. Those beers had a much higher infection chance since I opened the fermenter 3x for each, and my house Brett doesn't' give a crap about hops / IBUs do not suppress it. My brett apparently happily eats everything this yeast does not, and then maybe a bit more stuff too since it gets a chance to get rip roaring on all the food it's got available.

I don't think I've ever gotten as much pineapple from it as I've gotten in those 2 NE IPAs. It usually doesn't have that much to eat since I tend to make Belgians/saisons in the summer with lots of sugar and high attenuating yeasts.

Luckily I like my brett pinapple, and it tasted great in those NE IPAs when I bottled them, which are tropical fruity anyways. But still...
I have recently used the dry ESB yeast myself. It seemed like it crapped out on me early, then after moving it into the house and giving the carboy a few swirls it seemed to get started again. But then, it wouldn't clear for crap, not just a little hazy I mean full out milky so I crash cooled it and added gelatin. Even then, it was not as clear as beer usually gets with gelatin. So, not saying I wouldn't use it again because I would like to but it would have to be on a well thought out recipe. With the gelatin and what the beer went through, I don't think it's the best it can be, gelatin always seems to strip a touch of hop and malt character from any beer.
Brew Strong My Friends...
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Fun bottle release today. 120 bottle limited release of a 10% dark strong sour blend aged in Cognac, Sherry and Bourbon barrels exclusively for the Belle Meade Express BP gas station.

18111014_10155141108243805_706228785_o.jpg
18111014_10155141108243805_706228785_o.jpg (158.74 KiB) Viewed 870 times

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

MadBrewer wrote: I have recently used the dry ESB yeast myself. It seemed like it crapped out on me early, then after moving it into the house and giving the carboy a few swirls it seemed to get started again. But then, it wouldn't clear for crap, not just a little hazy I mean full out milky so I crash cooled it and added gelatin. Even then, it was not as clear as beer usually gets with gelatin. So, not saying I wouldn't use it again because I would like to but it would have to be on a well thought out recipe. With the gelatin and what the beer went through, I don't think it's the best it can be, gelatin always seems to strip a touch of hop and malt character from any beer.
It is supposed to only attenuate 65-70% or so, that's not unusual for some types of British yeast. This particular one does not eat maltotriose at all, so if you mash at 152+, it's going to be quite low attenuating and full bodied. It is suggested that you use sugar (and lots of real British brewers and authentic British beers do use sugar) to counter the low attenuation if your recipe needs to be dried out a bit. Probably the swirling didn't do anything, that helps more with a high floc British yeast, but warming it up by bringing it in is what got it going a bit. And yeah it doesn't understand the word "flocculation" or "clearing". That's one of the reasons I used it in my NE IPA attempts (you can see my final hydro samples in that thread, they are milky and my bottles look like they are filled with milk). That said, I do think it will clear in a normal batch given enough time in the bottle. I use other low floc yeasts, and usually by around 6 weeks in the bottle mine clear up pretty well if that's all there is involved in the haze.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Likey... though I think a year or two age will smooth out the edges. Patiently waiting for cbs...

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

swenocha wrote:Likey... though I think a year or two age will smooth out the edges. Patiently waiting for cbs...
I'm enjoying the rough Bourbon edges. I never see CBS around here. :(
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

That Cherry Deux Rouges (batch 2 - 2015)... it really earned it's GABF medal. Tart cherry pie goodness...
Last edited by swenocha on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

That looks awesome.