The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Re: The No Post Post

Post by Yankeedag »

Funny that. Mine decided to just shatter. I just tossed it. Oh well, live and learn, eh?
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Just checking in. Had my hip surgery a few days ago. These pain meds are top notch! As long as I don't fall behind on the pain meds the pain is tolerable. 2 weeks of misery ahead but looking forward to the end result.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Good to hear from you. Sounds like your doing good. Keep up with the physical therapy.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Best of luck and a quick trip back to good health Rabbit. Make sure you do the therapy as it will make a huge difference in getting back to normal ASAP.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Good to here from ya Dan. Hope the healing goes quickly.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

So sad... RebelBrewer store at Craft Brewed...Image

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

That stinx, I've bought quite a lot off them.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I want to brew again with my new Mash & Boil, I have everything needed to do a Fat Tire clone and a Hef. But not going to brew until I get these stinky baby chicks out of my basement, then cleaned up and aired out. I wont have my new coop until the middle of this month. Thinking maybe I can put them in the barn now but am still worried my wifes cats will try to eat them, I don't know what to do............
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

berryman wrote:I want to brew again with my new Mash & Boil, I have everything needed to do a Fat Tire clone and a Hef. But not going to brew until I get these stinky baby chicks out of my basement, then cleaned up and aired out. I wont have my new coop until the middle of this month. Thinking maybe I can put them in the barn now but am still worried my wifes cats will try to eat them, I don't know what to do............

They do get stinky real fast... LOL I use 1/2 x 1/2 hardware screen and fold over the edges so other critters can't get into them. Cats..... I won't say it.....
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I must confess. I'm a very bad man. I actually bought something from Mr. Beer after staying away from them for many years.

Since my LBC exploded, I was short a fermenter. I'm afraid my other LBC will die soon too, it's just as old. I like the LBCs, but having used the "Mini Cooper" fermenter I picked up at a garage sale last year side by side for a while now, I really like the "Mini Cooper" better. The biggest issue was cost as they were only sold as part of a "kit with beer and bottles". But now you can buy them separately.

So I took advantage of Mr. Beer's 20% off sale to pick up a couple more of the "Mini Cooper" fermenters, because at that price point they were comparable in price to the LBCs. They call them 2 gallon, but you can do full 3 gallon batches in them with most common yeast strains, where the LBCs really max out at 2.6 gallons or you run into trouble. For me, it is better then a bucket as there are no sharp corners at the bottom, so less places for my brett or other bugs to hide, as the inside is completely smooth. You can see inside it although it's still UV resistant, unlike clear PET. It is dishwasher safe, so I can throw the collar part into my dishwasher and that takes care of the nastiest parts of clean up if I get beer stone type gunk, it just washes away. With the collar attached it actually has 4 gallons of volume before the lid (you can't fill it more then 3 gallons with liquid though), but because of this, a 2.5 gallon batch with 3787 or some other 33% headspace top cropping yeast, even if it goes crazy doesn't leak out. I've never had blowoff out of them by sticking to a batch size of 2.5 if I'm using a blowoff machine yeast like that. I've never had a 3 gallon batch leak either, even if krausen got up to the lid.

Even though it has 4 gallon total volume (3 gallons usable for wort), it's not any taller then the LBCs. I actually have less trouble (as in it's never happened) with trub blocking the spigot compared to my LBCs (where it will happen pretty much for sure anytime I use more then 2oz of hops commando), even though it's not a conical due to the concave bottom. The spigot is better, has a high flow rate, racking or bottling is quick. The design works great for my "semi open" fermenting, I simply don't use the lid clips, and just instead use a little band of loosely fitted tape where the clips would go to make sure it won't fly totally off and let it vent at will while it's rip roaring away. Then I'll use the clips once it settles down to keep the fruit flies out.

And they are constructed much more sturdily then LBCs, nice heavy/thick material that is not "squishy".

I'd have considered a big demon, but they are too big for what I do and my space requirements.

Buckets, I don't like the sharp corners at the bottom, and I don't like that I can't see in. I need to watch out for my Brett pellicles, and I don't want to MAKE one that wouldn't have happened by opening the lid a bunch of times to perve.

I waffled for a while trying to decide what to do, my other option was to take advantage of Northern Brewers "4 big mouth bubbler for $99" deal. Which by all means was probably for most people a better deal. But those are too tall for my space, and heavier, even the 5 gallon ones, and the opening is about the size of the LBC and I really like the wide bucket like opening of the "Mini Cooper", so much easier to clean up... sticking my arm all the way down that extra tall fermenter through the smaller hole didn't sound fun to me... And then of course I'd be giving my money to BMC.

I decided I'd rather give my money to Coopers...

Am I the :evil: ?

BTW, in case anyone wonders, you can get replacement spigots for the "Mini Cooper" or "Big Cooper" from the us.diy Coopers site. I don't know why Mr. Beer doesn't sell them. But they cost $4.95 if you need one, so it's not a bad deal, I might just buy a couple and sock them away.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Dave, I really liked my big mouth bubbler and I got one not long after they came out. Mine was glass 6.5 and had a harness for it. I made a lot of beer in it, but could tell the glass was thin, easy to clean but still heavy like glass and breakable and what done it in in the end, bumped it while cleaning and shattered and cut my fingers to boot. I only have one more glass 5 gal. left now and am using that for wine. I have my new SS primary now and like it a lot. You got a good thing that will work good for you, don't matter where it came from.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Just got back from leaving my son at the USMC Recruiter's Office, they're going to take him to MEPS for the final swearing in ceremony, and then tomorrow it's off to Marine Bootcamp for 12 wks. I'm sure he'll do well and everyone is wishing him the best. But we'll still worry about him.
Here's to him.. :flag:
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

TonyKZ1 wrote:Just got back from leaving my son at the USMC Recruiter's Office, they're going to take him to MEPS for the final swearing in ceremony, and then tomorrow it's off to Marine Bootcamp for 12 wks. I'm sure he'll do well and everyone is wishing him the best. But we'll still worry about him.
Here's to him.. :flag:
I salute your son (and you and your family) and wish him the best. Please pass on my sincere thanks for his desire to serve. I am profoundly grateful to him and all who serve. :flag:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Tony, it sounds like you've raised a fine young man full of desire, pride and commitment.
As Beer-lord said: a heartfelt thank you to your whole family as yours son's service requires sacrifice from more than just him.
Be safe, soldier.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Good luck to your son. And a big thanks to your entire family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck