The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The No Post Post

Post by berryman »

Who wants to go on Vacation and I guess can't call it a road trip? [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBPJ4FXZ1oA[/youtube]
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

berryman wrote:Who wants to go on Vacation and I guess can't call it a road trip?
Lets see if we can fix that for ya.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Inkleg wrote:
berryman wrote:Who wants to go on Vacation and I guess can't call it a road trip?
Lets see if we can fix that for ya.
TY for fixing that, I can fix a lot of stuff but can't get that figured out yet.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Yazoo made the Pints for Prostates fundraiser beer for Rare Beer Club members this year, so if any of you are members, be sure to let me know what you think. A limited amount of bottles at the taproom next Wednesday, so I'm sure I'll grab one or three...

Vérifiez vos Fruits ("Check your Fruits") is our collaboration with Pints for Prostates and The Rare Beer Club. This beer serves as a fundraiser for Pints for Prostates as a portion of each bottle through RBC is donated to this life saving organization. The only way to get this beer is through the Rare Beer Club or our Taproom. This Triple style base beer was fermented with 12 different brettanomyces strains and souring bacteria while aging in French Oak Merlot barrels for over a year then conditioned on Cranberries and Cherries.
Here's the writeup on the other bottle being released...
Sennespiration batch 2- An inspired blend of carefully selected 1, 2 and 3 year old barrel aged sour blonde ales brewed with aged hops and fermented with local wild yeasts and our house mixed culture.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I found a PET bottle of beer half full, fully pressurized, with the other half of the beer dried up with gnarly stuff growing on it on the bottom of the box.

This is the second time this year I've had beer mysteriously escape from a PET bottle, yet the bottle remains pressurized somehow / didn't turn into a bomb.

I'm considering replacing all my bottles, they are getting pretty old.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:I found a PET bottle of beer half full, fully pressurized, with the other half of the beer dried up with gnarly stuff growing on it on the bottom of the box.

This is the second time this year I've had beer mysteriously escape from a PET bottle, yet the bottle remains pressurized somehow / didn't turn into a bomb.

That's really odd. How does it manage to leak liquid, but keep the gas? It would make much more sense if it happened the other way around.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:
mashani wrote:I found a PET bottle of beer half full, fully pressurized, with the other half of the beer dried up with gnarly stuff growing on it on the bottom of the box.

That's really odd. How does it manage to leak liquid, but keep the gas? It would make much more sense if it happened the other way around.
I can't explain it. I haven't been able to figure it out with either bottle that it happened in... the first one was an old 740ml coopers PET and this one was an old Mr. Beer 1L PET that I "won" in that Mr. Beer math contest back in the day.

I don't see anything visibly wrong with the bottles, they stay firm, they go "pfft!" when you open them, I can fill them with water and squeeze them and nothing comes out.

I think it comes out the bottom of the bottle, because I can't find any "stuff" stuck to the sides of the bottle or evidence that it leaked out the cap somehow, and if it did that I'd think I'd have a flat bottle anyways.

So ?????
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
bpgreen wrote:

I can't explain it. I haven't been able to figure it out with either bottle that it happened in... the first one was an old 740ml coopers PET and this one was an old Mr. Beer 1L PET that I "won" in that Mr. Beer math contest back in the day.

I don't see anything visibly wrong with the bottles, they stay firm, they go "pfft!" when you open them, I can fill them with water and squeeze them and nothing comes out.

I think it comes out the bottom of the bottle, because I can't find any "stuff" stuck to the sides of the bottle or evidence that it leaked out the cap somehow, and if it did that I'd think I'd have a flat bottle anyways.

So ?????

I think you may have hit on the answer.

There's a slow leak at or near the bottom. Since it's at the bottom, only liquid leaks out. As the liquid leaks out, the unfermented sugars and other non water components eventually seal the leak.

When you fill the bottle with water, either nothing comes out because the leak is still sealed, or something comes out, but so little comes out that you're not detecting it. If you filled it with water and let it sit for weeks or months (not sure how long you bottle condition), you would likely see some loss in water volume. You might not even see anything under the bottle, since the leak may be slow enough that the water would evaporate rather than puddle.

That's my guess, anyway.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I popped open a box of beer that I was letting age to see what was in there (because I don't remember, I haven't looked in it for 6 months).. and I noticed immediately then gnarly mess, and found another bottle of fully pressurized but 2/3rds empty beer... So that now makes 3 times this year I've found this happen.

This one happens to be one of the last 2 bottles of the "pumpkin spice" beer I made last fall.

This bottle, like all the others is fully intact, it was fully pressurized, I can fill it with water and squeeze it and nothing leaks out, it's just fooking weird.

I blame it on the pumpkin spice...

But yeah, I'm going to chuck all of the bottles that I have that are as old as these as I drink what's in them and replace them all with new ones now for sure.
IMG_2801 (002).jpg
IMG_2801 (002).jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

My mom sent this to me. It was a good laugh as a lot of this has applied to me at one time or another.

WHY I USE GREAT TOOLS -

THE TELEPHONE - TO CALL SOMEONE TO DO THE WORK.

SKILLSAW - A portable cutting tool used to make boards too short.

BELT SANDER - An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

WIRE WHEEL - Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh shit'. Will easily wind a tee shirt off your back.

DRILL PRESS - A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

CHANNEL LOCKS - Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

HACK SAW - One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE GRIPS - Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH - Used almost entirely for igniting various flammable objects in your shop and creating a fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW - A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity. Very effective for digit removal!!

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK - Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW - A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut large pieces into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge. Also excels at amputations.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST - A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of all the crap you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER - Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR - A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove, in order to replace a 50 cent part..

PVC PIPE CUTTER -
A tool used to make plastic pipe too short.

HAMMER - Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit. Also very effective at fingernail removal.

UTILITY KNIFE - Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door. Works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use. These can also be used to initiate a trip to the emergency room so a doctor can sew up the damage.

SON OF A BITCH TOOL - Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a bitch' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Holy crap, those were funny. Because they based in truth.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Rainy Sundays ... best brewin' times.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Ok, just thought it was time to bring the no post back up. We are getting hit by freak'en snow here. I know I live in the lake effect region of western NY south of Buffalo and have been here for 60 years, but this was a lot dumped on us in a short period of time. Well Over 3 ft. since Sat. I have a 4x4 truck and a Jeep, wife has a Jeep we can get around good. My kids come for Christmas with their 2 wheel drive little, summer cars and not good tires and snowed in and stuck in my off-road up hill driveway. I go out with my Skidsteer to clean it again and again. Now the throttle cable breaks on the skidsteer so I am in the garage most of the afternoon fixing it and just got done... The snow is still coming down hard and will need to plow it again tomorrow to get my last kid out of the driveway. I could have posted this on why I deserve a Homebrew thread and having a few now....
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I guess this as good a place as any to post this.

Two recent finds.

The first kegs I bought were kegs with "damaged handles" where the handles were basically discolored, but nothing else was really wrong with them. They were $17 each and I bought 2, thinking that was more than enough. $17 for a keg! They were pin lock, but since I was just getting started, it didn't matter.

I added a couple more kegs as time went on (and I realized that two wasn't enough).

Then one day I saw an ad for 4 untested, uncleaned kegs for $100. I ordered 2 (for a total of 8 kegs), figuring that I'd get 6 usable kegs. I was out of town when they arrived, but a neighbor picked them up. One box was really damaged. My neighbor took a picture of the damaged box and sent it to UPS. When I got home, there were three boxes, each with 4 kegs. I guess they just assumed the kegs in the damaged box were toast. It turned out that one keg needed a new poppet, but the rest were fine. And my brother had bought a whole bunch of poppets some time back, so he sent me some.

So I bought 8, expecting 6, and ended up with 12. I sold some and lost track.

The other day, I opened up a closet that I pretty much never use and found a keg. I guess I need to fill it.

Second story:

I've been kegging for a little more than 6 years now, but I continued bottling some batches (and sometimes bottled part of my kegged batches) for a while. Then I started traveling more often and kind of forgot about the bottles.

I've never really been big on naming my beers, so I used address labels with the main ingredients and the date of bottling.

The other day, I found some of my long-neglected bottles. One of the ingredients on one label was "TBM GL"

TBM? GL? WTF?

Then it came flooding back. TBM GL: The Beer Machine Golden Lager. 5 years ago or so, Cabela's stocked Beer Machine refills (they may have also stocked the actual Beer Machines). After Christmas, they marked them down.

Like WAY DOWN. If I remember correctly, it worked out to about $1/lb.

As far as I know, Beer Machine refills are the only source of prehopped DME. As any of you who tried them know, TBM mixes aren't great.

I never really used them as the main ingredient, but used them as about 1/2 the malt for a 5 gallon batch. My brother bought a bunch of them and used them to make jalapeño beers, figuring that the jalapeños would cover up any other flavors.

Does anybody else remember the beer machine mixes?
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I remember you (and a few other people) posting about your experiences with TBM mixes. It was interesting to follow.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk