The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The No Post Post

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote:
I picked up several spigots a couple years back, .5". I keep them clean/stored in a baggie to avoid problems. Every couple batches or so, I replace with a new 5 gallon bucket. I think they are $10 at Lowe's, all marked food grade. I have used these buckets to ferment in, replace after a couple batches also. I use a step drill bit to put holes in da new buckets. These will hold a tad over 5 gallon and work for me, I rarely go over 4.5~5 gallons of brew at a time. Actually, I've shrunk my batches down to 3 gallon mostly, so these work perfectly.
I don't ferment in mine but have, I mostly do 5- 6 gal. to get the amount of bottles I want in the end and the one I have has worked perfect for too long and never had a problem yet, but trying to avoid having one. We don't have a Lowe's real close by (Erie PA closest) but have Home Depots and the orange buckets they sell aren't food grade. I have quite a few of them and use them for spent grains and storing new grains in.
Also it is hard to find a good 1/2" spigot like I am using now. I could switch to 3/8" but my spring seal bottling wand is 1/2 that I have been using and like.
Last edited by berryman on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Just got back from town.... effn citybots.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Anywayz, picked up a new bottle of CO2, pressurized the keg and drinking a nice chocolate stout. Funny, I did this up as an oatmeal stout but taste like it's a chocolate, still good and going down great!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

I made mention of these shippers in another post. Here is the link I finally found for them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0796GH6GK
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

My agenda for the afternoon... Randomly stumbled onto this happening on VU campus today...

Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Yesterday was both a good day and bad day. It was nice outside for a change (if you think 28 deg and not snowing is nice) Had plans of working in my garage, A friend stopped in a little after noon and we sampled through my beer inventory. He left and another friend stopped and we did the same thing again. I didn't make it up to my garage to work on anything, I didn't know where my garage even was. I don't usually drink that much at one time, but did. The good news No hangover at all and got some stuff done today.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I say and still will say. You can brew some very nice drinkable beer with HME, to get better, a nice grain steep will kick it up, but will work without. I am saying this for the new brewers out there, don't be scared away from some of the talk of us,. most everybody here started with that and made some good beer.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

For the love of all that is holy!!!! Thought get I was dying this morning. Turns out..... kidney stone. First experience with these little bastards. I wouldn’t wish this on someone I despised!
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Man, that sucks! I drink tons of water for this very reason although there’s. I guarantee. Hope it’s over soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Ooohhh... that does suck. I've never had one, and I hope I never do. Hopefully you can pass it quick.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey Borastukas, Had 4 episodes with kidneystones,one with the Hospital,and one Bladderstone(larger than kidneystone)Almost led to the scapel,but it passed. I still pass "Gravel" on occasion(tiny shards) where your kidney aches and you get alittle spritzy. I wouldn't want anyone to have these.I read where the pain is as bad as childbirth. Good luck and cheers. :x
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Sorry to hear you've joined the Excruciating Pain Club, Dan. Yeah, I've been through it before, too. First time, I woke my wife up and told her, "I'm in pain," which was all she needed to hear, since I have a high pain tolerance and don't complain. If I say I hurt, it's bad!

Second time was a Friday night, and the ER was full of drunken yabbos. Since they were bleeding, they got attention before I did. I was stuck lying on a gurney in the middle of the open floor, suffering spasms that actually made me cry. At one point, I recall moaning, "Why won't somebody help me?!"

I make sure I drink a lot of water ever since. Don't ever want to go through that again.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
FedoraDave's American Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Ladybug Lager -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch -- Moon Shot Double IPA -- 2Daves Irish Red Ale
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

That sucks Dan, I never had them but I know a lot who has and say how painfull it is. I've also always been a big water drinker (not in just beer either LOL) and maybe why I never had them.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

berryman wrote:That sucks Dan, I never had them but I know a lot who has and say how painfull it is. I've also always been a big water drinker (not in just beer either LOL) and maybe why I never had them.
Some of it is genetic, but it doesn't hurt to keep that aqua pura flowing. As far as the pain scale, my kidney stones were the second worst pain I've ever experienced.

You may not want to know about the #1 pain.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Ladybug Lager -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch -- Moon Shot Double IPA -- 2Daves Irish Red Ale
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Due to the Nor'easter on Wednesday, we lost power (and heat and wifi) late Wednesday night, and it didn't return until Thursday, around 12:30 pm. Thursday was my one day off, and I had planned to brew a batch of South Ferry Steam Beer for a competition I'm entering in mid-May. It'll still be ready if I delay it a week, but I was bummed that I couldn't spend my one morning off indulging in my hobby.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Working at the East Nashville Beer Fest this past weekend, the big spring beer fest.... Over 70 breweries, Belgian tent, great food, and great music. But... with snow. And winter jackets. And insulated shirts. And three layers. And wool socks. And fleece lined pants. And gloves. And a scarf. And firepits. Ugh....

Worked the Yazoo booth with Linus, Brandon, and [guy I can't remember the name of that leads tours on weekends]. Lots of fun (except for the temperature)... Linus wouldn't let me escape from the pic for the TN Craft Beer Magazine spread...

ImageImage

Worked most of the fest, but got to wander around and try some beers during the last hour. Some great offerings from Calfkiller, East Nashville, Southern Grist, and several others on the local front. Here's the guys at VonSeitz Theoreticales serving beer from the ancient ale amphoras...

ImageImageImage

Regional/national favorites from Lagunitas, Cigar City, New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, Wicked Weed, and a mess of others. Also, though I missed the Cantillion while I was working, it was great to have this again... it's been a while since I had some 3F.

So... done with beer event #1 of 2 for the month. Next up will be working at the World Beer Cup judging and attending several great events during the Craft Beer Conference week...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...