How much did you drink in 2017?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: How much did you drink in 2017?

Post by Kealia »

Crazy Climber - I know what you mean. That's why I started thinking about it in those terms. It seems like a lot that way.

So....I updated the chart to include Crazy Climber and the Trappist Monks. :D
2017 Beer Consumption Borg   Google Sheets.png
2017 Beer Consumption Borg Google Sheets.png (24.65 KiB) Viewed 92 times
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: How much did you drink in 2017?

Post by mashani »

Note that that level of consumption was the highest it ever was documented, specific to some parts of the 10th century or there about, I guess the water was really nasty to drink then and/or the pope was trying to be nice (at least if you were on his side) and/or maintain moral or something. Most of the time it was half or 1/3rd that amount. And I doubt they all drank that much, that was just the "max limit" they were allowed to have. But they drank it instead of water and as part of their diet.

And it was like 2%-3% beer, probably closer to 2% most of the time. Probably made out of 60%+ oats and a gruit (no hops), a lot like the one of the reconstructionist beers I made a few years ago with all those herbs and a pinch of rock salt.

But they would also give that beer and/or beers made with the combined second running's from various beers they made to anyone who visited the monastery and needed something to drink. Because water was nasty and murdered you back then.

Because "Gardyloo!"

Stronger beers would be brewed for fasts, because they needed the calories, but couldn't eat solid food.