Labels

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Labels

Post by Hayzer »

So does anyone put a label on their beer? If you do, where do you get yours; online, self-generated, order? Also, what do you try to include on the label?
I've run into beerlabelizer.com, but wondered what else might be out there, or what is popular among the Borg.
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Labels

Post by Kealia »

When I do bottle, I like to put labels on as I like the presentation.

Here's a link to a thread (21 pages) of examples and some discussion. Not that discussion has to remain there, but it's a good place to post any that you do create.

I occasionally use BeerLabelizer but often just go from scratch.

(I know that many links/images in that thread are broken, unfortunately)
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I was about to post a link to that tread too.

Another online tool I used to use is Labeley. There used to be a free version but I don't the free option on the website. https://labeley.com/beer

I usually either design online or on my computer using one of the MicroSoft Office apps and just print them at home. Depending on if they're gifts or not I will either print on plain paper or by blank labels at the office supply store.

There used to be a member Beerlabelman that used to sell some really nice labels to print on. I wonder whatever happened to him. He hasn't been on the site in over 2 yrs.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

Thanks for the replies. I thought I did an exhaustive search on here for this topic, but did not find anything. Perhaps I'm searching wrong.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kealia, I forgot about this thread and I see most of my Pic post don't show up now and says I need to update photobucket and haven't been using that in a while to post Pic here, I use the Tap a talk with my phone now.
Where is Ibasterd? the best label maker on here I have seen.
LouieMacGoo wrote: There used to be a member Beerlabelman that used to sell some really nice labels to print on. I wonder whatever happened to him. He hasn't been on the site in over 2 yrs.
I also wonder that, Me and him exchanged a lot of PM's and also a lot of our beers. He also would include some cool stuff in the package with the beer he sent.
Hayzer on your OT, I very seldom make labels anymore because although it is fun and unique, it is time consuming and cost extra money to print glue on and then remove for something that is gone in less then 15 Mins. I just mark the caps with a sharpie and know what I have and we just pop them open and drink them. My favorite one was the http://www.beerlabelizer.com and I had the deal where I could upload my own pictures to it and think I still have it but haven't used in awhile
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

Thanks Berryman,
I like the idea of marking the cap. I think keeping a chart beside the bottles to signify what each cap is might be the easiest route. I wouldn't spend too much money on something that needs to come off before bottling again. Like you say, 15 minutes and done anyway.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

When I bottle, I just use an address label. I put the main ingredients, the date of bottling, and the estimated ABV on the label.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Hayzer wrote:Thanks Berryman,
I like the idea of marking the cap. I think keeping a chart beside the bottles to signify what each cap is might be the easiest route. I wouldn't spend too much money on something that needs to come off before bottling again. Like you say, 15 minutes and done anyway.
But on the same token it can be a fun part of brewing and especially if you give some home made to your friends..... much more personalized, a better presentation and shows you really care about what you are doing and it is fun to design. Go for it, we all did and I still do sometimes but haven't in a while but should again.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

No worries, the search can be temperamental IMO.

I lost a bunch of pics that I used by using a temp hosting service, too. One of my favorites was for a Dubbel I did a number of years back....it had twins on the label. 'Nuff said.

Here are a few of mine that didn't go poof:

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I have done a number of things. I bought some vinyl labels with a picture and brewery name, they stuck on and stayed. I just refilled the bottles with the labels. I also bought some vinyl labels that adhere from surface tensions, you can peel and re-use. None were recipe or style specific. I have used colored stars to mark different batches, noting the color in my log. My last best effort was to buy a Brother Label Maker. Each bottle, now each keg, got a label showing the name, ABV and packaging date.
It is fun to make your own labels, or have your own brand.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

These are just a couple of the labels I've made from beerlabelizer.com. I don't label bottles, though; when I bottle, I just write the name of the beer on the cap with a Sharpie. I use these labels next to the taps on my keezer to keep the contents identifiable. As you can see, I include the ABV and the kegging date.
label-2.png
label-2.png (242.21 KiB) Viewed 374 times
label.png
label.png (221.97 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
FedoraDave's American Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Ladybug Lager -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch -- Moon Shot Double IPA -- 2Daves Irish Red Ale
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

And another favorite I did a few years ago:
Vader Hater label.jpg
Vader Hater label.jpg (18.59 KiB) Viewed 373 times
When I do labels I use removable Avery labels. No glue, no mess. They peel right off.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

A few I have made, wife took some of them a few years ago and added some lights for a Christmas present for me un-be known to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I couldn't find my label for my "Red Headed Step Child" amber beer.....but I think we all tend to think along the same lines for a label for a red beer!
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I rarely do them anymore, but I have many labels I've done over the years in the image gallery on this site. It's a good place to keep images related to my brewing...

ImageImageImageImageImage
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...