Corned beef and cabbage

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Corned beef and cabbage

Post by bpgreen »

Contrary to popular belief, it's not a traditional Irish dish, but it's VERY MUCH a traditional Irish American dish (I could go into it more and will if asked). I'm 1/2 Irish (my maternal grandfather was born in the US, but lived in a very Irish area and sometimes spoke with a brogue). We always had corned beef and cabbage on St. Paddy's Day. Pat, Patrick, Paddy are all acceptable (Paddy is a nickname of Padraic); Patty is a girl's name, so St Patty's day is not ok.

I've cut way back on meat and wasn't planning on eating corned beef and cabbage, but when I was in Costco last week, they had a demo of precooked corned beef and I made the mistake of trying it.

The precooked was twice the price, so I bought one of the briskets they had and cooked it in the crockpot today. I actually weighed out the portion for my meal. It's probably a testament to my change of diet that I was amazed at how much meat 4 ounces was. And I've got so many leftovers. I love Rueben sandwiches, but will probably use whole wheat instead of rye and will also probably forgo the dressing. But the sauerkraut will be homemade, fermented sauerkraut.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Corned beef and cabbage

Post by BigPapaG »

'Round here, corned beef is outrageously expensive most of the year...

It goes on sale about 4 weeks before St. Pat's... Then drops again about a week before...

I generally wait until then and can usually pick up the flat cuts for $2.29-2.49 a pound.

The point cuts are also good and can be had for around $1.99 a pound.

The point cuts tend to be packaged smaller, have a bit more fat and don't produce picture perfect slices, but that's ok.

This year I got the flat briskets again, but there have been years where I have used a few points in the pot.

I made a six pound brisket three weeks ago when they first went on sale, and will do about 13 pounds on Sunday when the kids and parents can come over...

Can't wait!

I always pick up an extra or two and freeze them for off season use!

PS: I like to boil the corned beef in enough water to float it... With a diced onion and a fair amount of carrot, a little chicken soup base... and a clove of garlic. (Also, the spice pack that comes with it)... After an hout or two on a low boil adding a little water if needed so the liquid doesn't get too low, I add quarted red potatoes ( the small ones) and continue until the potatoes are soft... Then in goes the cabbage. Black pepper to taste and yum!

The soup base, onion and garlic are all optional, but I think it adds a bit more complexity.

:cool:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

My wife has a good method, but miscalculated.
She boils the meat for three hours with the included spices, then rub it with coarse mustard and brown sugar and bakes it. We roast most of our vegetables now instead of boiling, the carrots and corned beef were roasted at 450 with oil, salt and pepper. Potatoes mashed (my wife is famous for mashed potatoes).
Last year we had a big crowd, and they ate all the meat. This year we invited 20 people to our small house. Jane looked up how much corned beef for 20, the internet says 20#. She remembered last year and bought Forty Pounds, yes, 40. We needed my brew-pots to boil it. We sent everyone home with leftovers, and still froze a lot. I'm going to be searching recipes.....
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Inkleg "Likes" the above post!!! :clink:

Jody and I have been roasting all our vegetables lately and love the way they taste. 425 for 20-25 minutes, stir then another 20-25 depending on the vegetable. We found and have been using pecan oil man this stuff is good! Not as cheap as vegetable oil, more along the lines of a good olive oil, but we think it has more flavor depth.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

We've been roasting veggies for years. Brussel sprouts, cabbages, carrots you name it.
Try roasting fresh beats. Sweet goodness!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Jane uses extra virgin olive oil for the veggies, sometimes she steeps crushed red pepper in the oil, but not for cabbage.
Never mind, there it is.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Re: Roasting veggies...

Try infusing your oil with garlic and thyme...

A little salt and pepper on the veggies and yum!

We use olive, canola or sunflower oil but mostly the sunflower oil for the garlic / thyme infusion.

:cool:
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Love the thread, but stay away from those nastier, industrialized oils. Your health will thank you.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

BJ's warehouse club had the points, flats and whole. I picked up the 13 lb whole, put about 1/4 inch of water in pan, emptied the spice packets in the water, set oven for 275, pulled it out when internal temp hit 196, let sit for 15 minutes and sliced. Tender as hell. Since I learned how to smoke I do everything low and slow even in the oven. Everything seems to come out so juicy and more flavourful on top of being fork tender :cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Steve. I haven't tried with big cuts, but now I do stews and chili below boiling, about 190 for hours. I don't have a crockpot, but iron on the stove works just fine.
Never mind, there it is.