What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by BlackDuck »

Strawberry wine? That’s sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I make the first all grain Frankenbier I've done since I got my Mash & Boil to use up little bags of left over stuff.

For 3 gallons it was a mash of 2# Viking Pilsner, 1# Crisp Maris Otter, 1# Viking Golden Ale malt, 1# Viking Pale Ale malt, 4oz C60, and 4oz of Viking Caramel Wheat.

I bittered and flavor/aroma hopped it with Northern Brewer.

I will ferment it with 34/70.

Since it's spooky season and sort of like a California Common, I'm calling it...

"Frankensteam"
I bottled this, and it tastes more like a Dortmunder then a California Common, but that isn't a bad thing since I really like Dortmunder.

I have tons of Northern Brewer, so I will try to make a more California Commony common later.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Does your have the sulfur flavor that is mentioned in the style guide (yes, I had to look it up)? I'm "sensitive" to both sulphur and diacytel in beers, meaning I guess I am a 'super-taster' as I have no tolerance for them. Without the sulfur presence, the style sounds tasty.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Since I'm off this week I knew I was going to do at least one brew day (hoping for a second one Friday) and it's the 2nd brew on the new E system. Things went very much smoother today.
It's also the first time using Mecca Grade Lamonta malt and BRU1 hops. So I made a SMaSH (don't really like those). The Lamonta malt smelled awesome. Like fresh crusty French bread mixed with hints of cookie dough! It's very different and it tastes that way. Reminds me of Maris Otter malt.
Also first brew with the new Monster Mill 2.
I hit all the numbers perfectly!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:Does your have the sulfur flavor that is mentioned in the style guide (yes, I had to look it up)? I'm "sensitive" to both sulphur and diacytel in beers, meaning I guess I am a 'super-taster' as I have no tolerance for them. Without the sulfur presence, the style sounds tasty.
I don't taste or smell "sulfur" but it has a crispness that I know comes from lager and/or kolsch strains that produce some sulfur during fermentation. 34/70 DOES produce noticeable sulfur during fermentation. But not any more then a Kolsch yeast. I think you have made Kolsch, do you find them to be offputtingly sulfery sometimes?

Normally any identifiable "sulfur" that could be detected during fermentation fades by the time you drink the beer into just what I describe as that "crispness".

That said, if you are a super taster, then who knows. I taste acetaldehyde at levels other people don't, so I know that feeling.

If you want to try a really good export style Dortmunder, try a Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold one day if you can find it. It will be fresher then anything imported and it's a great style example.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yes, I have made a couple of Kolsch(es?), but they were not sulfery at all. They did create those aromas while fermenting, but it did not carry over to the taste.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't get much Great Lakes beer out here, but I will do some searching. (I'm still trying to find the BW you recommended - the Professor Fritz 1809)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed a 3 gallon batch of Dry Irish Stout with 1# of the grain subbed for Rye Malt.

So a Dry Rye Stout.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

My next brew (date TBD) is going to be a test batch trying to clone, or get close to, Duchesse de Bourgogne - Flemish Red Ale.

I won't be aging it for 18-months, rather testing the kettle-souring process I used in the Berliner Weiss, using Omega Lacto.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:My next brew (date TBD) is going to be a test batch trying to clone, or get close to, Duchesse de Bourgogne - Flemish Red Ale.

I won't be aging it for 18-months, rather testing the kettle-souring process I used in the Berliner Weiss, using Omega Lacto.
The tricky bit with a quick sour Flemish red or brown isn't going to get the level of sourness, but instead the kind of dark fruit/sherry like vibe. Because that comes from the mixed culture and slight oxidation of the "aged" beer that is part of the blend. I'm not sure how to get them without doing that.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, I know it won't be the same which is why I even hesitated to use the word "clone". But if I can get "close" I'll be happy. And if I think of it as a "Dark Weiss" instead of a true Flemish Red I may be happier with the outcome.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:Yeah, I know it won't be the same which is why I even hesitated to use the word "clone". But if I can get "close" I'll be happy. And if I think of it as a "Dark Weiss" instead of a true Flemish Red I may be happier with the outcome.
:idea: Maybe play around with soaking some oak chips in some sherry or port or something like it, and adding them to the fermenter? :idea:
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

A few different ways for the Dark Fruit/Sherry vibe. Add dark candi syrup when primary slows minimum of D90 or greater. Rack onto dark fruit in secondary (cherries, figs anything you can think of). You can rack onto one for 6 months then rack onto something else. It will add some oxidation ad you don't have to worry much about infection. ;) Add sherry soaked oak cubes, spirals in secondary. Do any or all combinations.

What bug combo are you going to use?
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The candi syrup help with it, but used in enough quantity to really do so, I think it will turn the Flanders red into a Flanders brown (at least as far as color goes) and also dry it out a bit more for the ABV more like a dubbel, which a Flanders red is not. You could work around this by mashing at a higher temp though.

I think he doesn't want to wait 6+ months, IE the racking it onto fruit, he wants to just do a quick lacto sour to make a version able to be turned around quickly.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Kealia wrote:I won't be aging it for 18-months, rather testing the kettle-souring process I used in the Berliner Weiss, using Omega Lacto.
Yeah totally missed this part.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

mashani wrote:I brewed a 3 gallon batch of Dry Irish Stout with 1# of the grain subbed for Rye Malt.

So a Dry Rye Stout.
That's interesting. I make a Rye Pale regularly, and have made a Rye ESB, an RSB?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.