What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by BlackDuck »

The weather is decent today...cloudy, but it's 43 degrees right now, supposed to get to 58 later this afternoon. I haven't brewed in months, so I took the day off and am in the middle of the mash on the Sabro Super Pale Ale. It's evident that I haven't brewed in a while, I'm running all over the place to get stuff.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Confusion and lack of preparation guarantees an excellent beer! You'll never be able to do it the same way again.
Can't wait to hear what you think of the Sabro hops. I'm still up in the air with how to use them again but I may be adding them to a dry hop only just to see how they work that way.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I brewed a 3 gallon batch of "something like Dos Perros" based on a scaled down version of Swenocha's recipe found here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1250&hilit=yazoo+clone

The only thing that will be different is that I don't have London ESB, so I'm either doing it with Nottingham or S-23, I figure it will be a good Mexican Brown like substance either way.
I bottled this finally, I just have been busy and never gotten to it, so it went full 3 weeks but it was "done" long ago. The long time in the fermenter certainly didn't hurt, this stuff was totally delicious right out of it, its going to be really good beer.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

nm duplicate
Last edited by swenocha on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Took a reading today when dryhopping. Wow, the enzyme kicked the snot out of things. 0.996ish reading. I missed OG, so my adjustments noted below.
swenocha wrote:Single hop brut ipa... this should be fun...

Improv from several Brut IPA recipes I found. Mashing low (143.5 is what I settled on), adding enzymes to the fermenter (not during the mash). There is a lot of debate on this subject, but I'm rolling with the fermenter this time. We shall see. Have a lot of hops on hand. Plan is to go Simcoe, but if someone wants to chime in on the other hops (Jarrylo, Challenger, Wataku) and express a preference, I may call an audible.

6lb 2 row
1lb red wheat
1lb flaked oats
12oz Crystal 15
10.6 oz flaked corn

whilfloc - 15 min

2oz simcoe - 10 min
2oz simcoe - 1 min
2oz simcoe - dryhop

143.5 mash - 90 min
60 min boil

glucomaylase - 1 tbsp in fermenter
bry-97 yeast

Meas OG: 1.041
Meas FG: 0.996
Est ABV: 7%
Est IBU: 39.4
Est SRM: 4.4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

A franken bier that will hopefully be a tasty "Black Rye Session IPL" with a DIPA like levels of flavor/aroma, but session IPA levels of bitterness. It's a mix of pilsner, rye, and a little bit of dark munich, carafa II and 120L crystal.

I'm doing it full volume + no boil to get around 6 gallons, so it's full to the top. But since I don't have to boil it all fits without a sparge… barely. There is 2oz of Simcoe in there as mash hops, like the other no-boil batches I did (both successful). I put the grains in at 95 and am walking them through a step mash just by setting it at 1000 watts and ignoring it until it heats to my mash temp of 150. A couple hours from when it started I'll pull the basket, and another 4oz of Simcoe and 3oz of Mandarin Bavaria are going to go in and steep for 60 more minutes with the lid on @150 which will also pasteurize the whole thing, and then I'm just turning it off and letting it slow-chill overnight, and will pitch Diamond Lager yeast.

Nordic brewing 'Merican style.
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG (91.11 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

That is full.............
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:That is full.............
Amazingly I didn't spill anything. But it did take 22 hours for this 6 gallons of wort to get to a reasonable pitching temp. Reasonable still being on the high end of the yeast range, but it will cool down overnight in my basement before the yeast gets going bonkers. I've been pitching warm with good results like this most of the winter, it seems to cause no issues.

This stuff smells amaaazzzzziiiinnngggggg.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed a Kolsch type Blonde today but used 05 yeast, 2 row, some white wheat and crystal 10.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kegged the oatmeal stout today. I'm pretty darn happy about it! Came in just a tad over 5% and I like the mouthfeel. I'm sure this won't hit it's stride for another 3-4 weeks but I won't wait that long to enjoy it.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I'm making an 3 gallon batch of something like an English Bitter using 4# of pale malt, 4oz each of pale cookie malt, dark Munich malt, and 60L, and 1oz of midnight wheat, and some acid malt for PH adjustment.

Except instead of English hops, I'm using a mixture of 1.25oz of Mandarin Bavaria and 4oz of Macha Green Tea powder, all of it at flameout, and since I'm slow-chilling it in the Mash & Boil overnight, it will end up with the right amount of bitterness and hopefully a little bit of the orange to play against the tea. EKG has a tea like tannin character, so I think this will be a good match and a way to play with the tea before I go full on Green Tea IPA mode and try to use a ton of it in something.

I'm calling it "Biscuits and Tea".

I may dry hop it and "dry tea" it if it doesn't get enough character. Don't know yet. (I don't think I'd actually "dry tea" it, because I think I'd get an infection from that, so I think would steep that in 160 water for a while and then add it if I was to go this way).
I bottled this finally. Although the caramel malt and munich darken it a bit, if you look at a sample it has a green hue to it. I think if I did this with just pilsner I'd end up with green beer. It does taste very green tea like. Some people say you have to use a hella lot more then I did to get green tea flavor, but I don't think they used powdered Macha green tea. I would use less then this in an all pilsner bill to restrain it a bit more I think. We will see once I carb it up. I wonder if the head will have green hues... that would be fun...
IMG_0532 (002).jpg
IMG_0532 (002).jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Kegged the Sabro Super Pale Ale today.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Brewed a double batch (10.5 gallons) of Drop Kick Nate. 1/2 with Imperial Flagship A07 and 1/2 with Wyeast 1335 British Ale yeast.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Just pitched the yeast on my yearly Czech Pilsner. It was a perfect brew day. Warm out, sunny with very little wind. Volume came in 1/4 gallon high and the OG came in on the money at 1.049. BeerSmith had it at 1.048. And it smelled like a quality Czech Pils going into the fermenter.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

It must be light-beer season. I'm brewing the Berliner Weiss, but this time I'm:
-Going all-grain instead of DME
-Adding about 5 IBUs of hops post-souring
-Splitting the 5G batch and dry-hopping half with some Nelson Sauvin