What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by John Sand »

A minimash APA and a BIAB Rye Lager brewed today.
Also had a boil over, broke my hydrometer jar, and forgot my one minute hops. It will be beer. Good thing we're having leftovers tonight, because I might mess up dinner too! :)
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

John Sand wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:33 pm A minimash APA and a BIAB Rye Lager brewed today.
Also had a boil over, broke my hydrometer jar, and forgot my one minute hops. It will be beer. Good thing we're having leftovers tonight, because I might mess up dinner too! :)
Sometimes you will have days like that but you will have beer............ :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:12 pm I brewed an ESB like beer to use up various stuff I had here. So it was a mix of Ashburne mild malt, malted oats, English medium crystal, and some brown malt. Mt. Hood for hops. S-04 for yeast.
I bottled this, it's going to be nice. Now I have to decide which of the 3 kits I have laying around to brew. Probably the Irish Red, I can brew the Dunkle when it's warmer, and I think I might take the Pils and turn it into a Belgian of some sort.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed the Austin Homebrew Binky's Irish Red kit.

It came with hops packaged by Northern Brewer. That is weird. I knew that Austin Home Brew and Adventures in Homebrewing were the same umbrella, and I know that Northern Homebrew and Midwest Brewing were under the same umbrella (and they are both ultimately owned by AB-Inbev which is why I rarely buy anything from them anymore, that and their jacked up prices).

But I didn't think those umbrellas were connected. So, I have no idea why there are Northern Brewer packaged hops, unless supply chain issues made them buy hops from AB-Inbev? I don't recall ever getting hops from Northern Brewer in an AIH or Austin kit before.

So that is my mystery of the day.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:59 pm Brewed the Austin Homebrew Binky's Irish Red kit.

It came with hops packaged by Northern Brewer. That is weird. I knew that Austin Home Brew and Adventures in Homebrewing were the same umbrella, and I know that Northern Homebrew and Midwest Brewing were under the same umbrella (and they are both ultimately owned by AB-Inbev which is why I rarely buy anything from them anymore, that and their jacked up prices).

But I didn't think those umbrellas were connected. So, I have no idea why there are Northern Brewer packaged hops, unless supply chain issues made them buy hops from AB-Inbev? I don't recall ever getting hops from Northern Brewer in an AIH or Austin kit before.

So that is my mystery of the day.
I could be mistaken, but I think abinbev spun off nb and midwest and they're independent again. I'll double check.

But with supply chain issues, nothing would surprise me.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:16 am No longer abinbev
Ah so a holding company now. Didn't know, but that didn't help them with their crazy prices unfortunately. They offer non-stop 20% off coupons... which typically just brings their price down to the regular prices of places like MoreBeer or AIH/Austin. And their 20% off coupons do not apply so are useless on stuff like base and specialty malts. The only thing "good" about them these days is they have a low free shipping threshold, but it's not very hard to find $20 more to spend to hit the $59 threshold of other places.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kegged a fresh squeezed IPA clone today, I always drink a sample from the hydro, today drank it all....
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Don't you love that part of it? Haven't done that one in a long while. May need to revisit that one.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Beer-lord wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:16 pm Don't you love that part of it? Haven't done that one in a long while. May need to revisit that one.
I usually take a little taste on a sample pre- ferment, but all mostly taste close to the same and nothing would want to drink. But on the sample bottling/kegging if it so good flat that you want to keep drinking it, you know it will be a good one carbed.. :woot:
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

The Leaf Doesn't Fight the Wind.pdf
(253.69 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
Just kegged a tasty IPL using Bootleg Arlingtonesis (I think they've recently changed the name) and some Cascade, Lupo Amarilo Lupo Bru 1 and some old Huell Melon I had laying around. 6.3% and the color with crystal 30 is perfect.
I'm never quite sure about water treatments for IPLs with lower lovibond malts so I pretty much split the difference down the middle. I really didn't want the hops to be too aggressive so I kept the IBU's to a low, for me, 36 which worked well with the water treatment.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yesterday I kegged my Pliny The Elder clone. I plan on pulling a pint tomorrow night!
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I Brewed Janet's Brown Ale, this is a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from MoreBeer! I've not tried this one before but have heard a lot about it. Apparently it's an American version Brown Ale. It had lots of grain and several ounces of hops too, almost like an IPA.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Do some googling on Tasty McDole who died last year (maybe it was longer) and was very well known and liked in the brewing community. That beer has won a ton of rewards and is supposed to be somewhat hoppy and that's something I know I would like. Keep us posted on how it comes out.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:08 pm Do some googling on Tasty McDole who died last year (maybe it was longer) and was very well known and liked in the brewing community. That beer has won a ton of rewards and is supposed to be somewhat hoppy and that's something I know I would like. Keep us posted on how it comes out.
FWIW, I believe if you buy that kit from MoreBeer they donate all the proceeds to the Leukemia and Lymphoma foundation in honor of him.