What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Beer-lord »

TonyKZ1 wrote:I brewed a Chinook IPA today, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Northern Brewer.
I brewed an AG version of that a few years back, but not their kit, using my ingredients. It was very good. It was a simple grain bill and Chinook is one of my favorite hops.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

"Saison des Prunes" is happily fermenting away at ~78 degrees, and my basement smells like a bubblegum factory. So yep, this yeast is the real stuff.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I brewed my Hoptometry Appointment today. Wasn’t the normal brew session that’s for sure. I’ll update the recipe thread in a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the thing below.

It looks like this.
IMG_0189 (002).jpg
IMG_0189 (002).jpg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
The slight smoke goes nice against all the pear, plum, and apple esters that the yeast threw off. The Westmalle yeast is not phenolic really at when used in a beer like this (and allowed to free rise to around 78 degrees), so the bit of spicyness is nice.

The smoke does seem a little bit stronger then if I had used Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat.

But not too much stronger. You can tell it's there. But it's very mellow.

Viking malts do apparently make tasty beer, so that's good. And they are really inexpensive (check them out on MoreBeer).
mashani wrote: 7# Pilsner (Viking Malts)

1.5# Flaked Oats * (Holy Roman Empire like Belgians might have been 50% or even 60% malted oats depending on what kind they were)

1# Oak Smoked Wheat (Viking Malts) * gives it a slight sweet smoke to simulate grains roasted in a kiln over a fire like back in the day. Note that I do not really LIKE smoked beers, but I like this stuff, the smoke is sweeter/mellower and not like "bacon".

8oz Acid malt for PH adjustment.

My water adjusted to be like Flanders water.

1.5oz Saaz FWH
0.5oz Saaz @10

Imperial Yeast Triple Dubbel (Westmalle yeast, same as 3787/WLP530).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

So I like my strong golden enough that I'm making more.

Except oatified and oak smoked. Think Duvel clone/grain bill, except with 20% oat malt and 10% oak smoked wheat subbed for that much of the pilsner.

Will be using Duvel yeast.

I'm sure it will be awesome unless something bad happens.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled "Saison des Prunes", where I used 1.5 gallons of LAFS Japanese plum juice, and Halleratu Blanc, and the Rustic saison yeast. It fermented out in I think 4 days, I just never got around to it until now. It is awesome right out of the fermenter and flat. It tastes like someone infused a Fumé Blanc (dry Sauvignon Blanc) with bazooka bubblegum.

I think I will like this even more then how it turns out with Nelson Sauvin and French Saison yeast and I like that beer a hella lot that way.
IMG_0199 (002).jpg
IMG_0199 (002).jpg (43.33 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey All, bottled my 4 gallon experiment on brewing kit beers with saison yeast in hot weather. I used a Munton's Cerveza kit and a 3.3 Breiss light LME and Belle Saison yeast.The result was a mildly fruity beer with a nice bitter end.Nothing special,but the experiment worked.Next,Munton's American Lite with Belle yeast. Hot summer temps,"Be Damned".... :sweat: I'm brewin' through! Cheers.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Kegged 5+ gallons of Kolsch on Sunday, looking forward to this one nice tasting sample going into the keg and nice lite ABV of 4.6%.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:I bottled "Saison des Prunes", where I used 1.5 gallons of LAFS Japanese plum juice, and Halleratu Blanc, and the Rustic saison yeast. It fermented out in I think 4 days, I just never got around to it until now. It is awesome right out of the fermenter and flat. It tastes like someone infused a Fumé Blanc (dry Sauvignon Blanc) with bazooka bubblegum.

I think I will like this even more then how it turns out with Nelson Sauvin and French Saison yeast and I like that beer a hella lot that way.
This sounds really tasty. I'm not a huge saison fan but the way you describe this makes it sound like a tasty beer.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:This sounds really tasty. I'm not a huge saison fan but the way you describe this makes it sound like a tasty beer.
It is not a traditional saison in the since that more flavor/aroma does come from the hops, be it nelson or the blanc. They along with the plum juice add a wine like flavor/aroma vibe (I just throw all the hops in @5, and hopstand it, or in this case slow chill it, same difference). That adds plenty of IBUs considering how dry they ferment out. I don't add sugar, since there is already 1.5 gallons of juice that ferments out completely in it.

With French Saison/Bella yeast a tart citrus and a lot of peppery spice gets added.

With this Rustic yeast, although still dry, this turned out not quite as tart, and what is there would not be identifiable as "citrus" as much as with Bella. It has peppery phenols, but not as strong as if I had used Bella. It was more juicy fruity bubblegum and floral aromas and flavors instead. But I ferment this at ~78-80 degrees, maybe it would get more peppery fermented cooler.

If you want to know what the yeast tastes like before trying it, see if you can find anything from the brewery "Brasserie de Blaugies". I'm fairly sure the Rustic yeast (and Wyeast 3726 but that is a seasonal strain for them) is the same yeast they use.

Or if not, it's a lot like Dupont yeast, rumor is that it's a mutant derived from that strain. Dupont themselves ferments up there in temperature like I did here (even hotter), so a bottle of Dupont will have a similar yeast vibe, so just imagine there is some white wine vibe added to it.

But this yeast is a lot less finicky then Dupont yeast, which often stalls out at 1.02 and then you have to warm things up to 90 degrees to make it go again, or else wait for 6 weeks until it decides to do something, or pitch some other yeast to finish it faster.

This yeast just tore through it like French Saison would.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewing a batch of Viking Beer/Gruit. Doing it a bit different then last time. Instead of adding honey, I'm doing it more the way a modern norweigan farmhouse brewer would do it, mostly pilsner malt, a little bit of rye, juniper in the mash, and tossing in some leftover mugwort that I have to use up just because I have it. No modern farmhouse brewer from those parts would use anything but Juniper these days (they pretty much ALL use Juniper), and only some of them would use any Rye, but they would have herbs more often if they lived in the past, before hops became the thing.

I'm going to pull out a bit of wort and boil it down to caramelize it and add it back in as a "pseudo decoction". A modern farmhouse brewer would just boil the whole batch for like 3 hours to get some caramelization, but I don't want to boil for 3 hours. Only 10 AAU's of bittering hops, just enough to keep any bugs from being super happy about it. Using Kvass yeast from Omega that's going to throw off lots of citrus/tropical fruit esters, and no phenols at all.

I might make another one later this year with the entire mash baked in the oven into little "grain bricks" (like loaves of bread) where they get browned and crusty on top. You then bust up the bricks and "sparge" them to make your wort. This acts sort of like making crystal malt because it converts the mashed grains to sugars, but then caramelizes the sugars near the edges of the pan and the top. I think this sounds cool, but I'm going to try it as a 3 gallon batch not a 6 gallon batch like this one will be in case I screw it up royally.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

TonyKZ1 wrote:I brewed a Chinook IPA today, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Northern Brewer.
I bottled this today, using 12 oz. bottles. I also used Screwy's calculator and found the range of CO2 volume for this IPA, 1.5-2.3 so I used 2.0. As it turns out, I've been using too much priming sugar when I batch prime. This figured out just a little over 3oz, I've been using the recipe's recommendation of the whole 5oz of sugar package when bottling. Otherwise I used one sugar cube (the domino dots 1/2 tsp cube) per bottle and that seemed to work out fine.
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

When I bottled 5 gallons, I’ve never used more than 4. I agree, for most 5 gallon beers, 5 is too much.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Brewed up a batch of my Bottoms Up Brown yesterday with a little tweak to an already great tasting American Brown. Adjusted out some 2 row and Maris Otter and in its place added Spelt Malt from Haus Malts local maltster here in NE Ohio. A group of us toured there and he had different grains out on a table in cups, after munching on the Spelt and getting a nutty flavor, the cartoon bubble popped open my Brown Ale! We'll see in 3-4 weeks!
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@Dawg, I didn't think Haus sold to the general public? They do now?