What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

mashani wrote:@Dawg, I didn't think Haus sold to the general public? They do now?
They are now producing enough to supply the homebrewing market, pick up at their facility by appointment and Andrew said they were doing sales on Amazon. Not cheap by any means but kind of neat to use local malts in a brew.
https://www.hausmalts.com/shop
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:
mashani wrote:@Dawg, I didn't think Haus sold to the general public? They do now?
They are now producing enough to supply the homebrewing market, pick up at their facility by appointment and Andrew said they were doing sales on Amazon. Not cheap by any means but kind of neat to use local malts in a brew.
https://www.hausmalts.com/shop
Not kidding about not cheap, it's $6 more per 10# then I paid for my last batch of grains for the cheapest things they sell, and that's if I was to drive there or ride my bike there on a Saturday to pick it up. $19 more if I was to have it shipped. Way more then that if I was to compare more spendy things. I would love to support local, and would pay a bit more to do so, but that's pushing it, especially due to hassle of going there to get them to make it "only" a 50% premium...

Maybe I do it once a year or something, but not regularly at those prices.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Have a Kolsch fermenting now. Going to need a little cold conditioning and then carbonate it.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Today I should be kegging my second batch of Baseline Berliner Weiss. I could have done it sooner but I just haven't had time.
So I guess I couldn't do it sooner......
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:So I like my strong golden enough that I'm making more.

Except oatified and oak smoked. Think Duvel clone/grain bill, except with 20% oat malt and 10% oak smoked wheat subbed for that much of the pilsner.

Will be using Duvel yeast.

I'm sure it will be awesome unless something bad happens.
I bottled this with not too much priming sugar, because this yeast is notorious for fermenting more in the bottle over a month or so and achieving stupendous carbonation levels because of it if your not careful, unless you secondary it. I think it will be good, it's hard to judge as it tastes a bit "yeasty" atm, because as well as the above, this yeast takes forever to floc out, and I don't want to let it sit in my fermenters for another month which is what it would take to resolve both things before bottling.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Drinking one of these (quote below), it's great. The smoke is stronger then it would have been with Weyermann malts, but it's at a level that I still like a lot, it is a mellow sweet smoke, and plays really nice against the apple and pear esters from the Westmalle yeast.

But because of this, I'll probably wimp out and make my future Grodziskie more like a recipe I found for a commercial German "Grätzer Bier" from the 19th century which was partially Pilsner malt instead of nothing but Oak Smoked wheat. Because although I like this, I don't think I'd like it 100% of the grain bill, it would be too rauchbier like at that level, and I really don't like rauchbier all that much.
mashani wrote: "Rustic Patersbier" (rustic because of * marked malts to make it more Holy Roman Empire like, but I'm using hops not herbs so it's not a real Holy Roman style Belgian).

7# Pilsner (Viking Malts)

1.5# Flaked Oats * (Holy Roman Empire like Belgians might have been 50% or even 60% malted oats depending on what kind they were)

1# Oak Smoked Wheat (Viking Malts) * gives it a slight sweet smoke to simulate grains roasted in a kiln over a fire like back in the day. Note that I do not really LIKE smoked beers, but I like this stuff, the smoke is sweeter/mellower and not like "bacon".

8oz Acid malt for PH adjustment.

My water adjusted to be like Flanders water.

1.5oz Saaz FWH
0.5oz Saaz @10

Imperial Yeast Triple Dubbel (Westmalle yeast, same as 3787/WLP530).

Did it in the Mash & Boil, and yes, I sparged! Whoh!

It's boiling now.

I'll start at 68 and let it free rise up to as much as 80 if it wants to.

This is the first time I'm using Viking malts brand, so we will see, but the Oak Smoked wheat tasted similar to the other type I had before, maybe just a tiny bit stronger, but not a lot.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled 1 fermenter full of the Viking Beer/Gruit.

I dumped the other half the batch and am now bleach bombing everything I own again just to be sure.

Once again fruit flies go into the mix in one of the fermenters due to krausen leaking out (didn't know this yeast would be this active, so I brewed too big of a batch). So acetobacter, yuck. And I don't really need 3 gallons of Viking Vinegar. I could see their little peppery colored carcases floating in the fermenter, so I'm pretty sure that what did it, but I'm bombing everything to be safe.
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

RIP ! Mash, I hate to dump beer,but sometimes you just have to. You mentioned your opinion on Rauchbier. I was stationed in Bamberg while in the Army.So on a free weekend some buddies and I decided to "Eat on the Economy"(go to a civilian restaurant) for a meal. We ordered our meals,(Schnitzel for me) and a liter of beer. I decided to try the Rauchbier because it was brewed in Bamberg. I took a sip and just about spit it out.Yuch. I left it sit until we were finished eating,and passed it off to another guy who drank anything.I ordered a whiskey and cola instead.That was my one and only experience with Bamberg's finest. Cheers. :D
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

So, trying again with a very plain (if you consider huge bubblegum esters plain) 6 gallon batch of table saison, which hopefully will not be fruit flyified.

10# Viking Pilsner
8oz Abbey Malt (aromatic)
8oz Acidulated for PH adjustment
1oz Saaz FWH
1oz Saaz @30
Imperial Rustic Yeast

That's about it.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Another batch of Fresh Squeezed. I'd say it's been too long but it is between every brew!Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I brewed Cloudy With a Chance of Hops Amarillo yesterday and pitched a healthy starter of Bootleg NEEPAH yeast.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey All, bottled my #2 experiment today. Munton's Lite HME + 3.3 Breiss Golden lite LME and Belle Saison yeast. Light and fruity with not too much of anything prominent . Next experiment. Munton's Canadian HME + Breiss 3.3 Light LME and Belle yeast. Going pretty well this summer for brewing with the super HIGH temps,but using Belle yeast. Cheers :)
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of Fogbank Amber Ale this morning. Either tonight or tomorrow afternoon I'm going to puree some cherries that I've already pitted and boiled in a bag to add to a wheat beer I brewed a couple weeks ago. It's a new recipe/technique, so I'm hoping for the best.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

The other day I put a batch of Kolsch on co2. Probably the lightest colored beer I ever brewed. Last night I spent my evening brewing up this year's Oktoberfest for a friend's party. Perfect night for brewing. Nice and cool out, very enjoyable. This one is off to a good start and looks beautiful. Trying out a new dry lager yeast, Fermentis S-189.

Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That’s the clearest beer I’ve ever seen coming out the kettle. Righteous!
Could you send us some cool weather please?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black