Hop Filter - pot too small to hang it, ok to sit on bottom?

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Hop Filter - pot too small to hang it, ok to sit on bottom?

Post by RickBeer »

Moved to BIAB last Spring, no more extract brewing added to cold water in the fermenter. So I need to get down to 70 before pitching, vs. mid 90s before. Takes a lot of ice (pain in the butt, and hard to make that much ice for several batches in a row), so I just picked up a wort chiller (will have to carry pot to laundry room to use) as well as a 6" x 14" 400 micron hop filter.

Didn't check ahead of time, and on my 5 gallon pot the hop filter won't hang, it's too tall. However, since it has a 1/2 inch raised bottom (steel mesh screen is 1/2 inch above bottom of filter, so it will not be directly on the flame), I'm thinking it's fine to use with this pot, simply stand it on the bottom? Like a false bottom. Thoughts?

I really bought it for the future, I had a $16 off $100 coupon to use and this got me over the threshold. Worse case it sits for the future.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Hop Filter - pot too small to hang it, ok to sit on bott

Post by bpgreen »

RickBeer wrote:Moved to BIAB last Spring, no more extract brewing added to cold water in the fermenter. So I need to get down to 70 before pitching, vs. mid 90s before. Takes a lot of ice (pain in the butt, and hard to make that much ice for several batches in a row), so I just picked up a wort chiller (will have to carry pot to laundry room to use) as well as a 6" x 14" 400 micron hop filter.
Another option is to use a pump (like a pond pump) and fill the sink a few times. You can use tap water for a while, then recirculate ice water.
Didn't check ahead of time, and on my 5 gallon pot the hop filter won't hang, it's too tall. However, since it has a 1/2 inch raised bottom (steel mesh screen is 1/2 inch above bottom of filter, so it will not be directly on the flame), I'm thinking it's fine to use with this pot, simply stand it on the bottom? Like a false bottom. Thoughts?

I really bought it for the future, I had a $16 off $100 coupon to use and this got me over the threshold. Worse case it sits for the future.
I've never used a hop filter (I use bags for whole hops and just toss pellets in), but I don't see any reason using it the way you describe would cause a problem.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Thanks, someone had suggested the pump prior. My main issue is SWMBO's wood floored kitchen. She can run fast, and carries a rusty grapefruit spoon. :sweat:

I used logic. I want to brew a bunch of batches in the next few weeks to get back into things, and so I made lots of cubes of ice, using all SWMBO's plastic containers. I used my beer frig and then planned on moving them to the freezers in the regular frigs when I started fermenting. She started with "I need to buy beef, chicken, ... don't use all my freezer space". When I mentioned modifying the undersink plumbing for a hose adapter, she said "why don't you go buy the chiller-thing?" and the rest is history.

Hop filter was the filler, I was at $72ish and needed $100 to save $16, so in reality I bought a $57 adjustable 6 x 14 filter that was on sale for $39.99, got it price matched to $30, and then $16 off yields a $14 price. SWMBO was silent at my logic. :o
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

From how you describe the filter to how I'm picturing it in my mind I feel it will be fine to rest on the bottom. With mesh on the sides and half inch up from the bottom it should always be surrounded by liquid. Just don't try and catch it if it starts to tip in the pot. It'll be hot.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I often set mine on the bottom, no problem.
My reason is opposite yours. When I do five gallons in a 16 gallon kettle the filter is too high hung from the side. I just set it on the bottom. The wort chiller fits around it.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Thanks all.

Even if it tips, it can't tip over due to the size of the filter as compared to the pot.

About to embark on brew #1 with it and with the new chiller. :o

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Update:

I brewed last Friday and again on Monday (need beer for even in early December). I did not use the hop filter, but plan on it for my next batch (tentatively scheduled for Friday). I did use the wort chiller and it's amazing the difference. No big deal carrying just under 3 gallons to the laundry room, setting on a towel on the washer, with the sink right next to it. With water at 60 degrees, cooling goes quickly from boiling down to around 80, then drops more slowly, and the last few degrees to 68 are a struggle. During the winter I'm sure the cooler water temp will drop it even faster. Great investment!

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone