How Much Beer Did You Drink Last Year?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

How Much Beer Did You Drink Last Year?

Post by Banjo-guy »

I’m not judging!
Where does all the beer that you brew end up? When I read the “How much beer did you brew last year” thread I’m amazed by how much beer people make.
I have two 2.5 gallon kegs on tap and a dozen or so bottles of older brews plus some commercial bottles and cans.
I’ll never get through that by myself and will end up throwing a good amount of it away so that I can brew something new.
Do you share it, drink it, enter it in competitions or dump it?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: How Much Beer Did You Drink Last Year?

Post by John Sand »

I brew what I drink, and drink what I brew.
If we have people over for holidays, they often drink plenty of homebrew. Superbowl, St Patrick's Day and Easter I serve a lot. Otherwise I drink my own and bring an occasional growler to a dinner or party, or holiday with family. A few bottles go to homebrew meetings.
Last edited by John Sand on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Banjo-guy wrote:Do you share it, drink it, enter it in competitions or dump it?
All of the above, well, except for the last one of course.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey All, Some folks may think that I drink too much! I say pish posh! I drink what I think is just the correct amount. I'm the only one in the household that drinks my brews,and I don't often offer any to family. Once in awhile I 'll give one or 2 to my neighbor. I like to concoct recipes,brew them and then enjoy them. I'm usually limited to brewing times due to my lack of temperature control,but this past summer I brewed 5 gallon batches using Munton's HMEs,Breiss LME and Belle Saison yeast.Of the 3 batches I brewed so far,as such,all of them are at least FootBall beers.(Meant to be guzzled watching Steeler's games).So,if I brewed 50 gallons,I drank as much. Cheers. :D
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I share lots of mine with friends sometimes twice a week. It goes faster than you think. Plus I buy way too much craft beer to try and I'm working on getting less of that in the future.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I share it, but I drink much of it too. ~2 pints a day like a brit.

Much of my beer is low in abv compared to commercial beer (at least what Americans think of as such). Beer to me is an enjoyable type of food/sustenance that keeps me from losing weight. I don't drink to get buzzed, I rarely drink when out anywhere.

I don't buy much commercial beer at all, I mostly drink what I make. I will sometimes buy a random bottle or can of something once a week just to see what's "new", but if it is more then 6%+ ABV, I generally ignore it and could give a crap if it's new or cool or whatnot. IE for example, most Stone IPAs I find offensively high in alcohol, as in I can taste/feel the alcohol, and I don't want to. I want to taste the hops without the burn. To me Levitation was their perfect beer. Obviously I don't agree with most Americans on this, otherwise they'd still sell it.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Not enough! Went through bout 6 5-gallon kegs and 10 2.5 gallon kegs. My brewing/drinking has been a little low this year. I did not even share much!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I was worried that when I posted this people would think I was getting moralistic about drinking. I don’t really care how much or often people choose to drink. I just have never been able to wrap my head around the amount of beer people produce. I made a few 5 gallon batches early on and it sat in my garage for months. Now I only brew 2.5 gallon batches and it’s still too much.

On the other hand it seems like too much work to make 1 gallon batches but at least I would get to brew more often. I actually care more about the process of creating recipes and learning about all the small details of brewing than drinking the beer.
My wife’s no help because she is a wine drinker and my daughter doesn’t drink at all. I guess I need to join a home brew club and enter more competitions.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

According to me almost as much as I wanted to. According to my wife a bit more than I should have. Go figure?
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I started a thread like this back in January. It was getting decent responses until I started posting a graph of consumption for those who had responded to-date :whistle:

It was adding in the Trappist Monks that put things into perspective!

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Banjo-guy wrote:seems like too much work to make 1 gallon batches but at least I would get to brew more often. I actually care more about the process of creating recipes and learning about all the small details of brewing than drinking the beer.
My wife’s no help because she is a wine drinker and my daughter doesn’t drink at all. I guess I need to join a home brew club and enter more competitions.
Ditto! I love to brew when I get the time, I enjoy sharing my beer but of late I've been pretty dayum grouchy so no one comes round to drink it. Soo, for now, I brew less. Used ta be as quick as I kegg'd/conditioned, ppl stopped by with glass' in hand. Now I live in the middle of no where, and I'm a seriously grouchy bastard, no one comes around. I wonder why? LOL Time for another shot.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

My consumption has dropped some. I used to drink 3-4 per day. Which sounds like a lot unless you're retired. I am, and generally was having one with lunch, one in the middle of the afternoon, one or two with dinner. But I was gaining weight, and cut back to one or two a day. Even at my peak, it was only about a case a week. I've known guys who drink a case a day and still go to work.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I do have to mention that those Trappist Monks (during the Holy Roman Empire times 12th century or so) were drinking 2%ish ABV beer, pushing 3% at max normally. About 50-60% oats in what they drank too. It was liquid food and much safer then water.

Still, I bet they were merry monks.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

John Sand wrote:My consumption has dropped some. I used to drink 3-4 per day. Which sounds like a lot unless you're retired. I am, and generally was having one with lunch, one in the middle of the afternoon, one or two with dinner. But I was gaining weight, and cut back to one or two a day. Even at my peak, it was only about a case a week. I've known guys who drink a case a day and still go to work.
If they were drinking a case a day, they were never sobering up. Unless you consider a 12 pack to be a case. I've always used case to mean 24 beers, but I've heard people refer to a 12 pack as a case.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I mean a standard case.
I still have friends that are drunk every night.
Never mind, there it is.