First time brewer. Will my bottles burst?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

AMoldyStump

First time brewer. Will my bottles burst?

Post by AMoldyStump »

I picked up the Brew Demon Signature kit a few weeks ago and almost immediately began making my Pilsner that came with it. I followed the steps but after reading on this forum that I should wait longer than the 1 week I gave it 2 in the fermenter instead. I bottled the beer yesterday and the instructions mention that once it feels like a new pop bottle it should be ready. However after just one day mine feel like a pop bottle that's been shaken. The walls are very stiff and nearly incompressable. Is this normal? Should I be worried about having a mess on my hands? If so, what steps might I take to prevent it from bursting? Thanks in advance, already learned a lot after lurking for only a few weeks.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: First time brewer. Will my bottles burst?

Post by John Sand »

Hi, welcome aboard! Most new brewers worry too much. Your beer almost certainly fermented completely in the two weeks. Still, if you want to be safe, put them in a tote, cooler, spare bathtub or someplace water tight and easy to clean. A towel over the top will restrain upward spray. Keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Welcone. As John said, it should have been finished after two weeks. If you had it fermenting in a spot where the temperature was too low, it can take longer. What was the temperature in the room where you had the fermenter?

How much sugar did you use in each bottle? If it fermented at the right temperature and you used the right amount of yeast, you should be good. But I remember somebody misread the instructions and added tablespoons instead of teaspoons.

I switched to kegs a long time ago, so I don't need to worry about overcarbonation, but if I remember correctly, the PET bottles can handle a lot of carbonation. If you notice any bulging, refrigerate immediately.
AMoldyStump

Post by AMoldyStump »

Definitely checked and rechecked that I was using teaspoons. 2 & 1/2 like the instructions call for. I'm using the 1L bottles that came with the fermenter. Same with the yeast, I used the 2 packs under the lid of the cans. The temperature for fermentation was about 68-72°F according to the temp strip. I live in an apartment with electric heat and drafty windows in Northern Ontario so im constantly opening and closing windows to keep it the same. I'll picking up an aquarium thermometer and a hydrometer for better accuracy in future batches. Ive got bags over them right now so hopefully that keeps it from making too much of a mess.

Thanks for the advice. I was mostly worried because this morning when I checked on them it sounded like the gas was escaping from one of them, so I tightened the lid a bit and that helped but I wasn't sure if that meant it was likely going to blow soon.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If the caps start to bulge a lot at the top, or the bottoms of the bottles deform and get tippy, then that's when you know the carb level is really getting high. Since your using the PETs, you can always slightly crack open the caps to release some pressure.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

The PET bottles that come with these kits will handle pretty good pressure, if it was glass I'd be a bit concerned. After 2 weeks of conditioning, give one a try for Quality Control assurance, put one in the fridge for at least 24 hours to let the CO2 absorb back into the beer, you will know if it is overcarbed (or not finished fermenting) if it pours all foam and takes a bit of time to dissipate. Generally you want to let your finished beer bottle condition at room temp for 4 weeks, but does need to be refrigerated for at least 24 hours before drinking.
Oh and WELCOME to the Borg!
:welcome: :cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

^^ What he said, ferment for 3 and carbonate/condition for 4 weeks seems to work pretty good for me. Welcome to the Borg! :beer:
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

All good advice, so I'll just say Hi and welcome. Oh, there's got to be a good story behind your name...AMoldyStump???
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
AMoldyStump

Post by AMoldyStump »

Thanks everyone. Quick update. They havent burst yet so my fears have definitely subsided. There's some build up at the bottom of the bottles. This may be yeast or trub that got shaken up while I moved the fermenter from the floor in my closet to a table in my kitchen, it may also be sugar, if it didnt dissolve well enough, hopefully its the former and not the latter. Although I have been flipping them and gently swirling them in hopes that if it is sugar it gets mixed. Just in case im going to give it at least a month conditioning before even fridging one to judge. Hey BlackDuck, there's not really a story its been my Xbox live gamertag for about 13 years. I didn't choose it either I just let Microsoft generate one and this has stuck.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

AMoldyStump wrote: it may also be sugar, if it didnt dissolve well enough, hopefully its the former and not the latter. Although I have been flipping them and gently swirling them in hopes that if it is sugar it gets mixed.
Not really a need to do that, the yeast will find it and use it up for carb, there will be trub in the bottom of the bottle no matter if you bottle prime or batch prime, the way it works. You are good to go just give some time.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

You should not flip the bottles at all. Yeast finds the sugar to carbonate and condition the beer. Flipping is unnecessary, and can hurt the quality of your brew.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

While I agree that there's no need to flip the bottles to make sure the yeast find the sugars, I don't see how flipping them will hurt the quality of the beer. I just don't see it.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

No worries, flipping the bottles is recommended if they don't seem to be carbonating to get the yeast back into suspension. The sediment is just basically a secondary fermentation that actually carbonates the beer.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Actually true Hefeweizen beers are served after inverting the keg a couple times to get the yeast in suspension.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
mvpedroia00

Post by mvpedroia00 »

New to this formum. Thanks for the tips on bottles! Also, how do I get a discount from here for Brewdemon? I'd like to try some of their other flavors